[jamsat-news:3610] [ans] ANS-111 AMSAT News Service Weekly Bulletin

JoAnne K9JKM via ANS ans @ amsat.org
2019年 4月 21日 (日) 09:12:52 JST

AMSAT NEWS SERVICE
ANS-111

The AMSAT News Service bulletins are a free, weekly news and infor-
mation service of AMSAT North America, The Radio Amateur Satellite
Corporation. ANS publishes news related to Amateur Radio in Space
including reports on the activities of a worldwide group of Amateur
Radio operators who share an active interest in designing, building,
launching and communicating through analog and digital Amateur Radio
satellites.

The news feed on http://www.amsat.org publishes news of Amateur
Radio in Space as soon as our volunteers can post it.

Please send any amateur satellite news or reports to:
ans-editor at amsat.org.

You can sign up for free e-mail delivery of the AMSAT News Service
Bulletins via the ANS List; to join this list see:

In this edition:

* Reminder: May 14 Deadline to Order Tickets for TAPR/AMSAT Banquet
* First Ham in Space, AMSAT Life Member, Owen Garriott, W5LFL, SK
* AMSAT VP for Human Spaceflight Programs Explains
   Operations Onboard the ISS
* Seats Still Available for AMSAT Academy
* Amateur Radio Cubesats Aboard Cygnus Launch: BIRDS-3, Swiatowid,
   KrakSat, EntrySat
* Australian CubeSat to use 76 GHz
* 2M0SQL Releases Pass Recorder Version 1.5
* FUNcube Data Warehouse URL Change
* Upcoming Satellite Operations
* AMSAT-India's ISS Demonstration and Outreach Success
* NASA Hosts University Students to Discuss Future of Space Exploration
* SpaceDaily.com Reports Virgin Orbital Adds Guam to Launch Sites
* Satellite Shorts From All Over

SB SAT @ AMSAT $ANS-111.01
ANS-111 AMSAT News Service Weekly Bulletins

AMSAT News Service Bulletin 111.01
 From AMSAT HQ KENSINGTON, MD.
DATE April 21, 2019
To All RADIO AMATEURS
BID: $ANS-111.01

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
                           CLOSEOUT

            2018 Symposium Proceedings and Getting
            Started Guides, now $15 + Shipping on
            the AMSAT Store while supplies last.
    https://www.amsat.org/product-category/amsat-books-and-dvds/
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

Reminder: May 14 Deadline to Order Tickets for TAPR/AMSAT Banquet

TAPR has announced that the after-dinner speaker at this year's
TAPR/AMSAT Banquet on Friday, May 17th will be Dr. P. J. Erickson,
W1PJE, from the MIT Haystack Observatory. Dr. Erickson will will give
a presentation entitled “New Frontiers in Human Understanding of
Geospace: Radio Explorations of Near-Earth Space from Top to Bottom
Through Joint Amateur – Scientist Partnerships.”

Tickets for the 2019 TAPR/AMSAT Banquet are $40 and can be purchased
at https://www.amsat.org/product/tapramsat-joint-hamvention-banquet/

Tickets must be purchased by 18:00 EDT / 22:00 UTC on May 14th.

[ANS thanks TAPR for the above information]

First Ham in Space, AMSAT Life Member, Owen Garriott, W5LFL, SK

It is with great sadness that the ARISS team recognizes the passing
of our great friend and colleague Astronaut Owen Garriott, W5LFL (SK).
Owen Garriott died at his home in Huntsville, Alabama on April 15,
2019.

A passionate amateur radio operator and ionospheric physics research-
er, Owen inspired the amateur radio community to reach for the stars.
His multi-decade vision to bring amateur radio with him as part of
his journey in space was realized in 1983 on the STS-9 Space Shuttle
Columbia mission, where hams the world over for the first time heard
a fellow ham call CQ from space. As the first to operate ham radio in
space, Owen blazed a trail that has enabled countless people from
around the world to experience what it is like to journey into space
and explore our universe. As a result, he inspired the international
amateur radio community to extend his modest ham station on STS-9
into an international human spaceflight ham radio program that has
spanned the Space Shuttle, Mir Space Station, and International
Space Station.

A member of the U.S. Astronaut Hall of Fame, Owen Garriott was a
pioneer and innovator in all his endeavors…including amateur radio.
Selected as a NASA scientist-astronaut in 1965, Garriott was the
science-pilot for Skylab 3, the second crewed Skylab mission. Sky-
lab was the first U.S. space station, housing 3 different crew
expeditions from May 1973-February 1974. Owen  spent approximately
60 days on Skylab, doing solar physics research, human physiological
research and conducting 3 spacewalks to repair Skylab and extend
its research capabilities.

Owen’s next flight into space, as part of an international crew on
the STS-9 Space Shuttle Columbia mission, cemented amateur radio’s
future as part of the human spaceflight experience. STS-9 was
launched from the Kennedy Space Center, Florida on November 28, 1983.
Onboard Columbia was an internationally developed space laboratory,
Spacelab-1, which pioneered  international spaceflight research with
over 70 separate experiments---a precursor to the research currently
being accomplished on the International Space Station (ISS). Onboard
also was a Motorola 2-meter handheld radio with a window mounted
antenna to facilitate ham radio contacts between W5LFL and hams on the
ground. On December 1, the third day of his mission, Owen donned his
headset and made history by communicating with Lance Collister,
WA1JXN, in Frenchtown, Montana. In W5LFL’s own words, here is an
excerpt of his first contact: “W5LFL in Columbia is calling CQ and
standing by. Go ahead. Hello WA1JXN, WA1 Juliet X‐ray November, this
is W5LFL. I picked up your signals fairly weakly. I think our attitude
is not really the best as yet, but you're our first contact from
orbit. WA1 Juliet X‐ray November, how do you read? Over.”

Owen’s ham contacts on STS-9 were trailblazing for many reasons. They
represented the first ham radio contact from a human in space to
someone on Earth. They allowed the general public to directly listen
and communicate with an on-orbit crew where, prior to this, only NASA
mission control personnel or heads of State (U.S. Presidents, etc.)
could talk to astronauts from space. And the mission also demonstrated
that a group of volunteers could successfully build a ham radio
station for a human spaceflight vehicle and get it formally approved
by a space agency.

Owen spent decades attempting to carry out ham radio on one of his
missions, employing gentle assertiveness and steadfast patience to
realize his dream. In 1965, when NASA was considering Owen for a
planned lunar flight on Apollo 18, 19 or 20, Project MOONRAY was
proposed by the Project OSCAR team. Project MOONRAY would support
amateur radio operations from the surface of the moon. This init-
iative was scuttled when Apollo lunar expeditions ended at Apollo 17.
Prior to his flight on Skylab, AMSAT submitted a proposal to NASA
called SKYLARC (Skylab Amateur Radio Communications). Unfortunately,
this proposal was turned down. But, as they say, the 3rd time was a
charm on STS-9 and ham radio is now a human spaceflight reality.
Also, it should be noted that an AMSAT/ARISS International team is
pursuing Owen’s plans to fly ham radio to the moon via several lunar
proposal initiatives, including the Lunar Gateway.

Owen inspired legions of amateur radio operators, world-wide, to sup-
port human spaceflight amateur radio endeavors and for countless
individuals to become ham radio operators. This includes his son,
Richard, W5KWQ, who together with Owen became the first multi-
generational American ham radio operators to communicate from space.

On behalf of the ARISS International Team, we would like to extend our
sincere condolences to the Garriott family, including Owen’s son
Richard, W5KWQ and Owen’s wife Eve. As Owen has inspired the amateur
radio community to reach for the stars may we wish Owen Garriott God-
speed and a wonderful journey amongst the stars.

Ad Astra!

73,  Frank Bauer, KA3HDO
ARISS International Chair
AMSAT V.P. for Human Spaceflight Programs

[ANS thanks Frank Bauer, KA3HDO, ARISS International Chair / AMSAT
Vice President for Human Spaceflight Programs for the above
information]

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

     AMSAT and ARISS are currently supporting a FundRazr campaign
     to raise $150,000 for critical radio infrastructure upgrades
     on ISS. The upgrades are necessary to enable students to
     continue to talk to astronauts in space via Amateur Radio.
      We have reached a great milestone with $24,130 raised
     or about 16% towards our goal. This would not have been
          possible without your outstanding generosity!!

           For more information and to DONATE TODAY visit:

      https://fundrazr.com/arissnextgen?ref=ab_e7Htwa_ab_47IcJ9

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

AMSAT VP for Human Spaceflight Programs Explains
Operations Onboard the ISS

As a result of the recent SSTV event onboard the ISS, a large number
of questions arose. The questions mainly centered on the crew's
ability to troubleshoot equipment and make adjustments to the station.

Frank Bauer, KA3HDO, ARISS International Chair and AMSAT VP for
Human Spaceflight Programs posted a thorough explanation of how
Amateur Radio fits into the operation of the ISS and the astronauts
ability to service and operate it.

Frank says, "Please remember that ARISS is not the prime activity on
ISS. There are over 300 international experiments currently
operational on ISS on this expedition. I just heard in a tele-
conference last week that that number will go to about 500
experiments in the next 1-2 years.

"Because of the vast number of experiments going on at the same time,
we can only occasionally get suggestions to the crew to make changes
to our payload. Any work arounds on any experiment/payload will
compete with the crew's already fully booked schedule. Several ARISS
team members, particularly our teammate in Russia, were out of pocket
this past weekend. Our Russian colleague was informed of the issue
early-on and acknowledged the issue. But he also needs to get tied
into Mission Control. That is difficult from afar. And even if we
ask for a change, it is challenging to get the crew time to make
this happen. Especially if it is outside the flight planning stage.

"Once we have the Interoperable Radio System on ISS, we plan to
augment our radio system with a ground commandable capability. We
have already developed a concept for this capability. Once in place,
we will be able to do many things with our radio without crew
intervention, including mode changes to support SSTV, APRS, Voice
Repeater, etc.. This capability will also be important if we fly
ham radio on the Lunar Gateway, which will not have crew on it 24/7.

"Please note that to keep ARISS alive and implementing new
capabilities requires a great deal of funding. As an example, ARISS
currently has two individuals on travel to NASA Johnson running
tests for the interoperable radio system. This is one of three
travel trips required to get the radio system ready for flight.
Each one of these trips will cost ARISS about $3000 in travel---
nearly $10,000 for these three testing events. Also, this past
week, we spent $1,100 to transport the HamTV that was returned from
ISS back to Italy to undergo troubleshooting to potentially repair
the anomaly we experienced on ISS.

"We have a Fundrazr activity right now to prepare the Interoperable
Radio System for Launch. We need $150,000 by the end of this year
and are well short of our goal right now. If you really want to see
improvements in the ISS radio system from where it is today, please
strongly consider donating to ARISS. Push the donate button at
www.ariss.org. You can donate at several levels and even a little
at a time on a monthly basis. At some donation levels, your
callsign and name will be included on the interoperable radio
system that will fly to ISS!

"Thanks for all your interest and support to ARISS. I hope this helps
explain a little about what is happening on ISS."

[ANS thanks Frank Bauer, KA3HDO, ARISS International Chair and
AMSAT VP for Human Spaceflight Programs for the above information.]

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

   Purchase AMSAT Gear on our Zazzle storefront.
           25% of the purchase price of each product goes
             towards Keeping Amateur Radio in Space
               https://www.zazzle.com/amsat_gear

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

Seats Still Available for AMSAT Academy

Come join us the day before Hamvention for AMSAT Academy – a unique
opportunity to learn all about amateur radio in space and working the
FM, linear transponder, and digital satellites currently in orbit.

AMSAT Academy will be held Thursday, May 16, 2019, from 9:00am to
5:00pm, at the Dayton Amateur Radio Association (DARA) Clubhouse,
located at 6619 Bellefontaine Rd, Dayton, Ohio.

Registration Fee includes:

+ Full day of instruction, designed for both beginners and advanced
   amateur radio satellite operators, and taught by some of the most
   accomplished AMSAT operators.
+ Digital copy of Getting Started with Amateur Satellites, 2019 Edition
  ($15 value)
+ One-Year, AMSAT Basic Membership ($44 value)
+ Pizza Buffet Lunch
+ Invitation to the Thursday night AMSAT get together at Ticket Pub
   and Eatery in Fairborn

AMSAT Academy 2019 Registration Fee: $85.00. Registration closes
May 10, 2019. No sign ups at the door. No refunds, No cancellations.

Registration may be purchased on the AMSAT Store.
https://www.amsat.org/product/amsat-academy-registration/

[ANS thanks AMSAT for the above information.]

Amateur Radio Cubesats Aboard Cygnus Launch: BIRDS-3, Swiatowid,
KrakSat, EntrySat

Masa, JN1GKZ, reports from Tokyo, Japan that the Cygnus NG-11 resupply
mission to the ISS, launched on Wednesday, April 17 will also deliver
three cubesats of the BIRDS-3 constellation by the Kyushu Institute of
Technology.

Three additional cubesat missions aboard the Cygnus launch include
Swiatowid, KrakSat, and EntrySat.

BIRDS-3 Cubesats
-----------------

All of the BIRDS-3 cubesats have been coordinated for operation on the
same downlink frequency of 435.375 MHz. Each will transmit a CW beacon
and 9k6 GMSK telemetry downlink. JAXA's J-SSOD-11 deployer in the the
Kibo module will deploy the BIRDS Project ("BIRDS-3") cubesats at a
later date.

Cubesats from three countries are represented in the BIRDS-3
constellation:

+ NepaliSat-1 (Nepal)
http://www.amsatuk.me.uk/iaru/finished_detail.php?serialnum=618
   http://tinyurl.com/ANS-111-KathmanduPost (Nepali press report)

+ Uguisu (Japan)
http://www.amsatuk.me.uk/iaru/finished_detail.php?serialnum=617

+ Raavana-1 (Sri Lanka)
http://www.amsatuk.me.uk/iaru/finished_detail.php?serialnum=616

The main mission of the constellation is to provide ciphered short
messages in its beacon on 435.375 MHz giving the opportunity for
the amateur radio community to decipher the messages through the
publicly available key that will be provided in the BIRDS-3 official
website: http://birds3.birds-project.com/document/amateur/

Stations who are able to successfuly decipher the message will be
recognized on the BIRDS-3 website and will also receive a special
BIRDS-3 QSL card.

BIRDS-3 will also have a remote Data Collection Mission based on
low powered LoRa modulation for demonstration of remote data col-
lection and processing onboard each CubeSat. The collected data
will be published on the BIRDS-3 website in an open format. Amateur
radio stations contributing to receiving this data will be given a
special QSL card, unique from the amateur message deciphering mission
showing the nature of data collected.

Other objectives of the BIRDS-3 mission include:
+ An imaging mission for public outreach and awareness
+ Earth Magnetic Field measurement
+ COTS component investigation
+ Active Attitude Stabilization as precursor to active pointing
   control for future CubeSat missions.

Swiatowid
---------
http://www.amsatuk.me.uk/iaru/finished_detail.php?serialnum=609
https://satrevolution.com/

V/U FM transponder (no activation information at this time)
Uplink:     436.000 MHz
Downlink:   145.850 MHz
Telemetry:  435.500 MHz 1k2 AFSK with AX25 format
            2435.000 MHz 1 Mbps 2GFSK

KrakSat
-------
http://www.amsatuk.me.uk/iaru/finished_detail.php?serialnum=608
https://www.kraksat.pl/space/

Downlink:  435.500 MHz 9k6 and 1k2 AFSK with AX25 format

EntrySat
--------
http://www.amsatuk.me.uk/iaru/finished_detail.php?serialnum=334

A 3U CubeSat which will measure thermosphere parameters during the
orbital phase (alt. > 200 km), and study satellite re-entry during
the re-entry phase (alt. < 200 km)

Uplink:   Amateur FM relay - frequency unpublished at this time
Downlink: 436.950 MHz voice and 9K6 packet

[ANS thanks Masa, JN1GKZ, the IARU, and the BIRDS-3, Swiatowid,
  KrakSat, EntrySat teams for the above information]

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
              2019 marks AMSAT’s 50th Anniversary
               of Keeping Amateur Radio in Space.
            To help celebrate, we are sponsoring the
             AMSAT 50th Anniversary Awards Program.
                 Full details are available at
     https://www.amsat.org/amsat-50th-anniversary-awards-program/
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

Australian CubeSat to use 76 GHz

The IARU Satellite Coordination Panel has announced the amateur
radio frequencies for the Australian CubeSat CUAVA-1 which will
utilize several frequencies:

+ Downlinks: 437.075 MHz, 2404.000 MHz, 5840 MHz and 76.800 GHz
+ Uplinks: 145.875 MHz, 2404.000 MHz and 5660.000 MHz
+ http://www.amsatuk.me.uk/iaru/finished_detail.php?serialnum=671

At press time launch is expected in July 2019 from Japan into a
400km orbit.

CUAVA-1 is a 3U CubeSat and the first CubeSat project of the new
University of Sydney ARC Training Centre for CubeSats, Uncrewed
Aerial Vehicles (UAVs), and their Applications (CUAVA), whose
primary aim is the education and training of people, mostly PhD
students, for the space sector.

This mission addresses issues of radio technique interesting to
the radio amateur community in the following ways:

+ Global radio amateur participation in mission and data down
   linking to receive and decode the spacecraft beacon and down-
   linked data, with subsequent transfer to an internet database.

+ Transmit recent images over the terrestrial footprint.

+ Training for student round station setup and operation.

+ Radio wave propagation studies for the ionosphere, thermosphere,
   and lower atmosphere to examine multiple effects on the propag-
   ation and absorption of radio waves and microwaves.

+ Studies involving the electron number density as a function of
   position, time of day, and space weather events using the radio
   occultation of GPS signals and their associated refraction and
   attenuation.

+ Communication Protocols Modulation techniques will be investigated
   for the high-speed communications experiment including QPSK, 16-QAM
   and CPFM. If successful, this technology for wavelengths below 10 cm
   will increase the data transfer rates by at least 4 orders of magni-
   tude while also decreasing the sizes of antennas and the associated
   spacecraft.

+ Radiation effects on electronic components in the Low Earth Orbit
  (LEO) environment.

+ Attitude and position determination reception and analysis of GPS
   signals by the onboard GPS receiver will determine the spacecraft’s
   attitude and location as a function of time to determine the satel-
   lite’s orbit.

More information on CUAVA-1 can be found at
https://www.cuava.com.au/
https://twitter.com/Arc_Cuava

[ANS thanks the IARU and the CUACA-1 cubesat team for the above information]

2M0SQL Releases Pass Recorder Version 1.5

Pass Recorder is a small application that records audio from satel-
lite passes based on tracking data it receives from the commonly
used SatPC32 application. Pass recorder will sit in the background
waiting for a pass to be above 0 degrees and record the audio to a
wav file which you can use for logging purposes or just for storing
passes to listen to later for enjoyment.

SatPC32 tracking software setup for DDE via the DIVOptions.SQF file
is required. Make sure this has been completed before starting to
install Pass Recorder. Recordings are stored within the active users’
profile in Documents/Satellite Recordings, you can set your favourite
cloud backup tools to access this folder or keep it for private usage.

Version 1.5 released on April 15, 2019 includes bug fixes and adds
the following functionality:

+ User selectable sample rate which allows you to reduce the
   audio quality to improve file size.

+ Allows you to select the save location of audio files

+ Added Limited support for WXTrack

The download files, additional information, and installation instruct-
tions are available on Peter's web page:
https://www.2m0sql.com/pass-recorder/

[ANS thanks eter Goodhall, 2M0SQL for the above information]

FUNcube Data Warehouse URL Change

The FUNcube Team announced as part of the migration of the FUNcube
Data Warehouse migration to a new server a new URL is being used.
They are now redirecting all dashboard data submissions to:
http://data.amsat-uk.org (there is no need to change your dashboard
settings)

Looking forward,  all information at http://warehouse.funcube.org
will no longer be updated. The Leader Board scores will be merged
at: http://data.amsat-uk.org/ranking

You will be able to search for your site name (or callsign) and order
the columns by clicking on the column header. Features as showing the
color coded age of submitted data will be added soon.

If you have lost your Dashboard credentials please visit:
http://data.amsat-uk.org/recover-authcode

AMSAT-UK reminds FUNcube telemetry stations to keep an eye on their
FUNcube Dashboard Summary Update page. Each satellite carrying a FUN-
cube payload has a dedicated dashboard. AMSAT-UK has updated the one
page summary (FUNcube Dashboard Summary v2) of those dashboards, their
current version number and a dedicated download link:
https://funcube.org.uk/2019/01/21/funcube-dashboard-summary-update/

Hope you like the new site and and feedback will be welcome.

[ANS thanks the FUNcube Team and Dave Johnson, G4DPZ for the above
  information]

Upcoming Satellite Operations

+ GB5SM will activate Saint Mary's Island, Isles of Scilly, between
   April 20-27. Operators are Steve, G4EDG; Jeff, G4ELZ; and Pete,
   G4GSA on 160-10m (CW, SSB, digital modes) and maybe also via
   satellites. QSL via LZ1JZ (d), LoTW or ClubLog OQRS. Locators
   include IOTA EU-011 and WLOTA 0408 (via DXNL 2141)

+ Omar, XE1AO, April 21-23
   Will be on vacations in Acapulco Guerrero grid EK06, if family
   activities allow it I will try FM satellites at night as XE1AO.

+ Central and Northern Maine (FN53, FN54, FN55, FN56, FN57, FN65,
   FN66< FN67) – April 26-28, 2019. Join Matt, W1PY and Sean, KX9X
   as they team up for a weekend of ham radio through the Pine Tree
   State! Follow them as they activate the Potato Field grids of
   central and northern Maine for the satellite community, and hit
   some state parks on HF for the Parks on the Air and WWFF commun-
   ities. There will also be spontaneous activations of curious
   roadside attractions as they roll through. Grids to be activated
   on satellite:  FN53 – 54 – 55 – 56 – 57 – 65 -66 – 67. A special
   effort will be made to activate the grid intersection of FN56-57-
   66-67 in the potato field north of Caribou. Detailed satellite
   operations schedule to be announced ASAP. For more information,
   check out https://t.co/2irvAUBvAu and keep an eye on Sean’s
   Twitter feed https://twitter.com/SeanKutzko.

+ California (DM15) – April 27, 2019
   Dave, AD7DB, will be in DM15 in the high desert town of North
   Edwards CA, just outside Edwards AFB. Planned passes are AO-91,
   AO-92 and SO-50. More exact details on Twitter:
   https://twitter.com/ad7db as the time approaches.

+ Huatulco, Oaxaca State, Mexico (EK15) – May 2-5, 2019
   XE1R will activate the rare Oaxaca State grid EK15, May 2-5.
   This will be a portable FM-only activation using the call sign
   XE1R/XE3. Keep on eye on his Twitter feed for further updates
   https://twitter.com/XE1R

+ Northern Border Security Check (Minnesota to Washington)
   April 29 to May 4 or 5th, 2019 - Alex, N7AGF, is all set for his
   semiannual rover trip to activate rare and somewhat rare grids.
   Alex will fly into Minneapolis and drive back home to grid CN88,
   activating as many ENx8,ENx7,DNx8,and DNx7 grids as possible
   along the route. The hope is to hit many corners and lines. Alex
   will be on both linear and FM birds. As always, activations and
   route details will be posted to his Twitter @N7AGF at
   https://twitter.com/N7AGF . Alex will also be on APRS at
   https://aprs.fi/N7AGF-10 . In areas of limited cell service,
   he’ll be using inReach. Email or hit Alex on twitter with grid
   requests, route suggestions, or hot tourist attractions in Minot.

+ Northeast North Dakota (EN06/EN07/EN08/EN16/EN17/EN18) – May 2-5
   Mitch, AD0HJ, is heading out to the Grand Forks, ND Hamfest on
   May 4th, but also just goofing off for a few days in the general
   area. Mitch will be limited to working the FM Satellites only
   (SO-50, AO-91, AO-92). Plans are to work EN17/18 on May 2, EN07/08
   on May 3, EN17/18 again on May 4 (day of hamfest), and then EN06/16
   on May 5. A full pass schedule will be viewable on the Twitter
   announcement
   https://twitter.com/KE4ALabama/status/1116524856781230080, and
   up-to-date pass info on Mitch’s Twitter feed
   https://twitter.com/AD0HJ.

+ Southwest South Dakota (DN83++) – May 19-23, 2019
   Clayton, W5PFG, will be operating from DN83 on all FM/SSB satel-
   lites holiday-style, May 19-23. Open to schedules with EU. In
   the days proceeding he’ll be on from DN91 and in the days follow-
   ing from DN74, DN71, potentially DN70, and lastly DM99. Twitter
   @w5pfg

+ Pacific Northwest (CN85, CN83/CN84, CN76/CN86) – May 31 to June 2
   Casey, KI7UNJ, will be on in CN83/84 Friday, May 31st, CN85 Satur-
   day, June 1st, and CN76/86 Sunday, June 2nd. Pass list to come in
   next few weeks.

+ Iceland (HP95 IP15 IP25 IP03 HP03) – July 13-19, 2019
   Adam, K0FFY, is taking his family (and his radios) to Iceland.
   Tentative schedule is HP95 July 13, IP13 and IP15 July 14-15,
   IP25 July 16, IP03 or HP93 July 17-18, and HP94 July 19. There’s
   a lot to see, so passes will be best effort and announced on
   Twitter shortly prior. https://twitter.com/K0FFY_Radio

Please submit any additions or corrections to ke4al (at) amsat.org

[ANS Thanks Robert Bankston, KE4AL, for the above information]

AMSAT-India's ISS Demonstration and Outreach Success

Rajesh, VU2EXP, who is a Regional Coordinator for AMSAT-INDIA,
reported on his successful event to spread awareness of Amateur
Radio, Satellites & ARISS activities in India during an April 12
presentation and live SSTV demonstration during the latest ARISS
SSTV event. The session also included a visible ISS pass.

More than 50 students & citizens assembled to hear a brief talk
on Amateur Radio, ISS, OSCAR Satellites, Life of Astronauts, ARISS
SSTV event, Student Outreach Program. SSTV signals on 145.800 MHz
were recorded for two images. After the pass the recordings were
decoded using MMSSTV. The images were shared with the students as
a souvenir.

A leading newspaper, Divyabhakshar, published an article. Google
translate can be used to read the original article in Gujarati:
http://tinyurl.com/iss-sstv-demo-news

[ANS thanks Rajesh, VU2EXP, who is a Regional Coordinator for
  AMSAT-INDIA for the above information]

NASA Hosts University Students to Discuss Future of Space Exploration

MEDIA ADVISORY M19-031  April 18, 2019
Access the press release with live URL links at:
http://tinyurl.com/ANS-11-NASA-STEM-PressRelease

NASA is giving university students an opportunity to interact with
agency leadership, including NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine,
as well as astronauts abroad the International Space Station, dur-
ing a live event 2 p.m. EDT Monday, April 29, at the agency’s head-
quarters in Washington.

The event, intended to inspire the next generation of STEM explorers
skilled in the fields of science, technology, engineering and math,
will air live on NASA Television and the agency’s website. It also
will stream live on Facebook and Twitter. Viewers can submit ques-
tions during the event using the hashtag #askNASA.

Participants at NASA Headquarters include:
+ Administrator Bridenstine
+ Associate Administrator for the Human Exploration and Operations
   Mission Directorate Willliam Gerstenmaier
+ Associate Administrator for the Science Mission Directorate
   Thomas Zurbuchen
+ In addition, students will be able to ask questions during a live
   Earth-to-space call with NASA astronauts Christina Koch and Nick
   Hague, currently serving as part of the Expedition 59 crew aboard
   the International Space Station.

As NASA plans a return of American astronauts to the Moon by 2024
and eventually going on to Mars, the agency is looking to the next
generation of STEM explorers to help achieve its goals. Going for-
ward to the Moon will create new economic opportunities, a sustain-
able exploration campaign, and a foundation to go on to Mars.

Media interested in attending the event should contact Katherine
Brown at katherine.m.brown @ nasa.gov or 202-358-1288 no later than
noon, Thursday, April 25. Media interested in how local Space Grant
Program colleges and universities are participating in the event
should contact Colleen Fava at colleenf @ lsu.edu or Susie Johnson
at susiej @ uidaho.edu.

The event is hosted by NASA’s Office of STEM Engagement. Partners
for the event include the Space Grant Consortium, the American
Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics and Students for the
Exploration and Development of Space.

For more information about NASA STEM engagement, visit:
https://www.nasa.gov/stem -and- https://twitter.com/nasaedu

[ANS thanks NASA for the above information]

SpaceDaily.com Reports Virgin Orbital Adds Guam to Launch Sites
Staff Writers, April 12, 2019
http://tinyurl.com/ANS-111-VirginOrbital

Virgin Orbit, Sir Richard Branson's small satellite launch company,
announced that the Pacific island of Guam will become an additional
launch site for the company's LauncherOne service. This will be in
addition to the Mojave Air and Space Port-the California launch site
that will be home to the company's first orbital launch in the mid-
dle of this year. Virgin Orbit is also making preparations for future
missions of LauncherOne from the Launch and Landing Facility at the
Kennedy Space Center in Florida, Spaceport Cornwall in the United
Kingdom, the Taranto-Grottaglie Airport in Italy.

The largest commercial airport on Guam, A.B. Won Pat International
Airport, has begun the process of  seeking its launch site operator's
license from the Federal Aviation Authority's (FAA) Office of Commer-
cial Space Transportation, in order to serve as a future launch site
for Virgin Orbit.

Virgin Orbit uses a customized 747-400 aircraft as its "flying launch
pad," providing the ability to quickly transport the entire launch
site to new locations around the world, launching each satellite from
the optimal location. This mobile approach to launch more than 450 kg
to a 500 km equatorial orbit.

[ANS thanks SpaceDaily.com for the above information]

Satellite Shorts From All Over

+ If you missed AMSAT Executive Vice President Paul Stoetzer, N8HM
   on Ham Talk Live which aired on Thursday, April 18 at 9:00 PM EDT,
   you can catch the podcast on-line at:
   https://www.spreaker.com/show/ham-talk-live and select Episode 161.
   Paul presented AMSAT's plans for the 2019 Hamvention.

+ Students from various schools in Park County, Colorado studied
   radio communications and space operations as part of their STEAM
   curriculum for almost a year before getting the chance to talk
   to an astronaut on Monday aboard the International Space Station.
   Read the news story and watch local television coverage of the
   ARISS contact at:
https://denver.cbslocal.com/2019/04/15/fairplay-students-talk-iss-space/

+ AMSAT-UK shared - Great feature on Space by Jo Hinchliffe, MW6CYK
   in issue 18 of HackSpace magazine. Build your own SatNOGS satellite
   ground station, Track the ISS. Full magazine PDF available Free at
   HackSpace Mag https://hackspace.raspberrypi.org/issues/18 (click on
   'download free pdf')

+ The IARU Satellite Frequency Coordination Panel typically meets
   every two to three weeks. The next panel meeting will be held on
   22 April 2019. Coordination requests for consideration received by
   20 April will be on the agenda: http://www.iaru.org/satellite.html

+ Paul Wade, W1GHZ says he has updated his HDL_ANT antenna software so
   it will run on Windows 10 (and 7). It can be downloaded from:
   http://w1ghz.org/software/HDL_ANT32_V4.exe  Paul also updated his
   attenuator calculator program: http://w1ghz.org/QEX/QEXPAD32.zip
   (W1GHz via the Microwave list)

+ Watch as Bob Plank, KK4DIV demonstrates on his YouTube videos how
   to build a log-periodic satellite antenna:
   Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsER1yKa9MI
   Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_yGdl-vwxA

+ 2007 OR10 is the largest minor planet in our solar system without a
   name, and the 3 astronomers who discovered it want the public's help
   to change that. In an article published by The Planetary Society Meg
   Schwamb, a planetary scientist who helped discover 2007 OR10, announ-
   ced a campaign inviting the public to pick the best name to submit
   to the International Astronomical Union (IAU) for official recogn-
   ition. Vote by May 10 at: https://2007or10.name/

+ For those who have access to the Roku Channel streaming TV a new
   four-part series, "Make It Work, True Stories about S.T.E.M.",
   This documentary series is about discovering your genius. It is
   streaming free only on The Roku Channel.

[ANS thanks everyone for the above information]

/EX

In addition to regular membership, AMSAT offers membership in the
President's Club. Members of the President's Club, as sustaining
donors to AMSAT Project Funds, will be eligible to receive addi-
tional benefits. Application forms are available from the AMSAT
Office.

Primary and secondary school students are eligible for membership
at one-half the standard yearly rate. Post-secondary school students
enrolled in at least half time status shall be eligible for the stu-
dent rate for a maximum of 6 post-secondary years in this status.
Contact Martha at the AMSAT Office for additional student membership
information.

73 and remember to behave and to help keep amateur radio in space,
This week's ANS Editor,
JoAnne Maenpaa, K9JKM
k9jkm at amsat dot org