[jamsat-news:3394] [ans] ANS-297 AMSAT News Service Weekly Bulletins

Joseph Spier wao @ vfr.net
2016年 10月 23日 (日) 11:20:00 JST

AMSAT NEWS SERVICE
ANS-297
The AMSAT News Service bulletins are a free, weekly news and infor-
mation service of AMSAT North America, The Radio Amateur Satellite
Corporation. ANS publishes news related to Amateur Radio in Space
including reports on the activities of a worldwide group of Amateur
Radio operators who share an active interest in designing, building,
launching and communicating through analog and digital Amateur Radio
satellites.

The news feed on http://www.amsat.org publishes news of Amateur
Radio in Space as soon as our volunteers can post it.

Please send any amateur satellite news or reports to:
ans-editor at amsat.org.

In this edition:

* VHF Handheld Radio Failed, ARISS Contacts Moved to Kenwood Radio on Board
    the International Space Station (ISS)
* New ARISS Equipment Completes Major Milestone, Donations Still Needed
* ESEO Satellite Project
* iCubeSat 2017 Workshop
* 2016 AMSAT Space Symposium at Sea Registration Still Open
* ARISS Proposal Window Closes November 1, 2016
* AMSAT Events
* ARISS News
* Satellite Shorts From All Over

SB SAT @ AMSAT $ANS-297.01
ANS-297 AMSAT News Service Weekly Bulletins

AMSAT News Service Bulletin 297.01
 >From AMSAT HQ KENSINGTON, MD.
DATE October 23, 2016
To All RADIO AMATEURS
BID: $ANS-297.01

VHF Handheld Radio Failed, ARISS Contacts Moved to Kenwood Radio on Board
the International Space Station (ISS)

The VHF handheld radio model that has been used by the ARISS program to
connect students worldwide with astronauts on board the International Space
Station (ISS) for over 16 years has given an error message and is
unusable at
this time. While the ARISS technical team evaluates the best path to restore
operation from the Columbus module, ARISS contacts will be supported
using the
Kenwood radio in the Russian Service Module. During this period, the packet
digipeater will be unavailable.

Switching to the 70 cm radio capability on board the Columbus module for
some
operations is being coordinated. Expect further updates as we work to
resolve
this problem.

Amateur Radio on the International Space Station (ARISS) is a cooperative
venture of international amateur radio societies and the space agencies that
support the International Space Station (ISS). In the United States,
sponsors
are the Radio Amateur Satellite Corporation (AMSAT), the American Radio
Relay
League (ARRL), the Center for the Advancement of Science in Space
(CASIS) and
National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA).  The primary goal of
ARISS is to promote exploration of science, technology, engineering, and
mathematics (STEM) topics by organizing scheduled contacts via amateur radio
between crew members aboard the ISS and students in classrooms or informal
education venues.  With the help of experienced amateur radio
volunteers, ISS
crews speak directly with large audiences in a variety of public forums.
Before and during these radio contacts, students, teachers, parents, and
communities learn about space, space technologies, and amateur radio.

For more information, see
www.ariss.org
www.amsat.org
www.arrl.org.

[ANS thanks ARISS, and Dave Jordan, AA4KN for the above information]

New ARISS Equipment Completes Major Milestone, Donations Still Needed

Yesterday, October 21, 2016, the ARISS hardware team accomplished a very
major
milestone — the successful completion of the Technical Interchange Meeting
(TIM)for the Interoperable Hardware System, which includes the JVC
Kenwood D710
Radio and the Multi Voltage Power Supply.

The TIM was conducted as an ARISS hardware milestone from the Technical
Evaluation and Support (TES) Committee and our international members from
TES were present.  The TIM also had subject matter experts from NASA
attending
and providing advice as well as a former (retired) chief engineer from
the NASA
Space Communication and Navigation (SCaN) organization.  All in all, ARISS
received great advice and suggestions on how to move forward with the
hardware
development.  I am most proud that we have completed this first major
milestone
in the development of the next ARISS hardware upgrade to fly on ISS.

On behalf of the ARISS International team, I would like to thank TES
co-leads
Mark Steiner and Lou McFadin for their leadership in getting the important
milestone accomplished.  I would also like to thank Kerry Banke, the Multi
Voltage Power Supply developer, Bob Davis who is developing the mechanical
enclosure for the system, and Bob Bruninga and Dave Taylor for their help on
the D710 programming modes.  And, of course, special thanks goes to JVC
Kenwood and Aota Shin and Phil Parton for their support, equipment and
engineering that will serve ARISS and the ham community for years to come.

With this milestone completed, we will move forward with the design process
and finalize the design with a TIM in the next few months.  Our next hurdle
will be the Phase 0 safety review which we hope to complete before the
end of
this year.  While aggressive, we are still working with NASA towards an
October
2017 launch of the hardware system.

The costs and effort to develop and certify equipment for human spaceflight
missions is very high.  The bulk of this cost is for safety certification
testing and hazard reporting expertise.  We have estimated that from
beginning
to end (a 3 year development cycle), the costs for the new hardware
system are
in the $200k range.  Note that we are aggressively pursuing real dollar and
in-kind donations to address this. But, as you know, every bit of funding
helps.  That is why we started the ARISS Challenge Coin Donation Campaign
this year at the Dayton Hamvention.

As you communicate this important milestone to your friends, please remind
them that we cannot complete this effort without funding.  Human spaceflight
hardware developments are always expensive.  They are most welcome to donate
towards the hardware development by pushing the “ARISS Donate” button at

www.amsat.org.

Those that donate $100 or more will receive a special ARISS
Commemorative Coin.

I thank all of you for all your sustained support and efforts to our ARISS
cause over the years. It is hard to believe that we are nearing 20 years of
ARISS being a team.

[ANS thanks Frank Bauer, KA3HDO, ARISS Chairman for the above information]

ESEO Satellite Project

Here is a brief update on the ESEO Satellite project which may be of
interest.

"A team of 3 from AMSAT-UK and Surrey Space Center visited Forli in
Italy this
week where the engineering model of the ESEO satellite is being assembled.
During the visit, the team began work integrating the AMSAT payload into
ESEO,
confirming successful 2 way communication communication via the satellites
CAN bus. They also checked the transmission of educational telemetry at
1200
and 4800 bits per second and tested the L band to VHF FM transponder.

ESEO, The European Student Earth Orbiter, is a 50kg satellite from ESA
Education incorporating payloads from AMSAT-UK and Universities around
Europe."

[ANS thanks David, G0MRF, and AMSAT-UK for the above information]

iCubeSat 2017 Workshop

iCubeSat 2017 - the 6th Interplanetary CubeSat Workshop will be held
30-31 May 2017 in Cambridge, United Kingdom.

The full call for papers and presentations can be found at
www.iCubeSat.org

iCubeSat 2017, the 6th Interplanetary CubeSat Workshop, will address
the technical challenges, opportunities, and practicalities of
interplanetary space exploration with CubeSats. The workshop provides
a unique environment for open wide ranging practical collaboration
between academic researchers, industry professionals, policy makers
and students developing this new and rapidly growing field. The papers
and presentations from previous workshops at Caltech, Cornell, Imperial,
MIT and Oxford may be found at:

https://icubesat.org/

You can see the presentations from this years workshop
at Oxford at the following link:

https://icubesat.org/archive/2016-2/icubesat-program-2016

[ANS thanks Micheal, iCubeSat 2017 Committee for the above information]

2016 AMSAT Space Symposium at Sea Registration Still Open

If you are an Individual attending Symposium on board the CARNIVAL LIBERTY
departing Galveston, TX on November 10,  you must register to attend the
AMSAT
Space Symposium & Annual Meeting through AMSAT.  Cruise arrangements made
through Carnival Cruise Lines does not include the registration fee for the
Symposium itself.

There are three options to register for Symposium:

-Complete and mail  to the AMSAT Office the 2016 Symposium Registration Form
that was sent to all AMSAT members back in July along with the BoD
ballot along
with payment;

-Call the AMSAT Office (301-822-4376) and speak with AMSAT Office Manager
Martha Saragovitz ; or

-Use the AMSAT Store (store.amsat.org) by selecting the “2016 AMSAT-NA
Symposium Registration” link found under “Bestsellers” on the right hand
side
of the store’s main page.

Registration for the Symposium is $40.00 and includes a copy of the
“Proceedings” that contains papers written for the Symposium as well as
technical documentation that AMSAT is placing in the public domain.  The
“Proceedings” will be available to attendees onboard ship.  In addition, the
registration provides a means to confirm the number of individuals in your
party planning to attend the AMSAT Banquet as well as an opportunity to
reserve
seats for the Field Ops Breakfast.  Both meals are open to anyone wishing to
attend (AMSAT Registration is not necessary) and there is no charge for
either
event as food is included in your cruise package.  However, by
indicating how
many individuals will be attending, it helps to ensure that sufficient
seating
is made available for each activity.

As the AMSAT Office will not be open after Monday, 7 NOV 16 through that
week,
we ask that your Symposium Registration be received at the AMSAT office by
Friday, 4 NOV 16.

[ANS thanks 2016 AMSAT Space Symposium Committee for the above information]

ARISS Proposal Window Closes November 1, 2016

The Amateur Radio on the International Space Station (ARISS) Program is
seeking formal and informal education institutions and organizations,
individually or working together, to host an Amateur Radio contact with
a crew
member on board the ISS.  ARISS anticipates that the contact would be held
between July 1, 2017 and December 31, 2017. Crew scheduling and ISS
orbits will
determine the exact contact dates. To maximize these radio contact
opportunities, ARISS is looking for organizations that will draw large
numbers
of participants and integrate the contact into a well-developed
education plan.

The deadline to submit a proposal is November 1, 2016.   Proposal
information and documents can be found at

www.arrl.org/hosting-an-ariss-contact.

[ANS thanks ARISS for the above information]

AMSAT Events

Information about AMSAT activities at other important events around
the country.  Examples of these events are radio club meetings where
AMSAT Area Coordinators give presentations, demonstrations of working
amateur satellites, and hamfests with an AMSAT presence (a table with
AMSAT literature and merchandise, sometimes also with presentations,
forums, and/or demonstrations).

*Thursday-Monday, 10-14 November 2016 – 2106 AMSAT Space Symposium,
Symposium at Sea, on Carnival Liberty, Galveston TX to Cozumel and
return

*Saturday, 12 November 2016 – Oro Valley Amateur Radio Club Hamfest in
Marana AZ

*Saturday, 3 December 2016 – Superstition Superfest in Mesa AZ

*Saturday, 14 January 2017 – Thunderbird Hamfest 2017 in Phoenix AZ

*Saturday, 4 February 2017 – Palm Springs Hamfest in Palm Springs CA

*Friday-Sunday, 10-12 February 2017   Orlando HamCation in Orlando, FL

*Friday and Saturday, 17-18 February 2017 – Yuma Hamfest in Yuma AZ

[ANS thanks AMSAT-NA for the above information]

ARISS News

Successful Contacts

*  Howell L. Watkins Middle School, Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
direct via N4J.
The ISS callsign was scheduled to be NA1SS.
The scheduled astronaut is Takuya Onishi KF5LKS
Contact was successful: Mon 2016-10-17 16:08:00 UTC

Right from AOS full quieting!
All 20 questions asked and a farewell by all the students transmitted.
Contact duration 9 mins 30 seconds.
At 16:15 UTC not sure if it was low audio or a signal issue but question 20
had to be repeated. Live streamed over the school network to about 900
students. Media coverage was 2 newspapers and TV station.
There were about 90 students present.

*  University of Nebraska's Peter Kiewit Institute, Omaha NE, telebridge
via VK4KHZ.
The ISS callsign was scheduled to be NA1SS.
The scheduled astronaut was Kate Rubins KG5FYJ
Contact was successful:  Sat 2016-10-15 14:00:08 UTC 29  deg

This was a JOTA event. An estimate of audience was 5,750.  We had 19 of 20
scouts interview Dr. Rubins. The last question was at LOS, but Astronaut
Mike Fossum (who was at the event) answered for Dr. Rubins. There was low
audio from the event, but Shane, VK4KHZ relayed the questions to the ISS.

*  Stephen F. Austin Elementary  School, Brazosport ISD, Jones Creek,
Texas,
telebridge via VK5ZAI
The ISS callsign was scheduled to be NA1SS.
The scheduled astronaut was Takuya Onishi KF5LKS
Contact was successful: Mon 2016-10-10 16:46:00 UTC

Takuya Onishi answered 24 questions. About 400 students, teachers and
parents were in the audience. Reporters from two small local newspapers
were also in attendance.

Upcoming Contacts

*  Istituto Comprensivo “Marco da Melo”, Mel, Italy, direct via IQ3FL
The ISS callsign is presently scheduled to be OR4ISS.
The scheduled astronaut is Shane Kimbrough KE5HOD.
Contact is presently scheduled for: Sat 2016-11-05 09:32:10 UTC 76 deg

Watch
http://www.ariss.org/upcoming-contacts.html
for information about upcoming contacts as they are scheduled.

[ANS thanks ARISS, Dave, AA4KN, and Charlie, AJ9N for the above information]

Satellite Shorts From All Over

AMSAT's Around the World

A new link has been created under the AMSAT pull-down tab at

http://www.amsat.org  or directly

http://www.amsat.org/?page_id=5618

which list the links to all the other AMSAT's around the world. A webpage
like this was on the old AMSAT site and never got migrated over. A new
webpage
has been created. Check it out!

[ANS thanks Bruce Paige, KK5DO, AMSAT BOD Member for the above information]

/EX

In addition to regular membership, AMSAT offers membership in the
President's Club. Members of the President's Club, as sustaining
donors to AMSAT Project Funds, will be eligible to receive addi-
tional benefits. Application forms are available from the AMSAT
Office.

Primary and secondary school students are eligible for membership
at one-half the standard yearly rate. Post-secondary school students
enrolled in at least half time status shall be eligible for the stu-
dent rate for a maximum of 6 post-secondary years in this status.
Contact Martha at the AMSAT Office for additional student membership
information.

73,
This week's ANS Editor,
Joe Spier, K6WAO