[jamsat-news:3344] [ans] ANS-045 AMSAT News Service Weekly Bulletins

Joseph Spier wao @ vfr.net
2016年 2月 14日 (日) 15:41:40 JST

AMSAT NEWS SERVICE
ANS-045
The AMSAT News Service bulletins are a free, weekly news and infor-
mation service of AMSAT North America, The Radio Amateur Satellite
Corporation. ANS publishes news related to Amateur Radio in Space
including reports on the activities of a worldwide group of Amateur
Radio operators who share an active interest in designing, building,
launching and communicating through analog and digital Amateur Radio
satellites.

The news feed on http://www.amsat.org publishes news of Amateur
Radio in Space as soon as our volunteers can post it.

Please send any amateur satellite news or reports to:
ans-editor at amsat.org.

In this edition:

* AMSAT-NA Office Closed on Monday February 15th for President's Day Holiday
* W1AW/4 Orlando Hamcation Demo
* Japanese Ham Radio Satellite Launch Postponed
* Old Dominion University OPEN HOUSE for local Middle and High Schools
* Orlando Hamcation Satellite Demos Scheduled
* ARISS UK release full video of Tim Peake and RMS contact
* AMSAT Events
* ARISS News
* Satellite Shorts From All Over

SB SAT @ AMSAT $ANS-045.01
ANS-045 AMSAT News Service Weekly Bulletins

AMSAT News Service Bulletin 045.01
 >From AMSAT HQ KENSINGTON, MD.
DATE February 14, 2016
To All RADIO AMATEURS
BID: $ANS-045.01

AMSAT-NA Office Closed on Monday February 15th for President's Day Holiday

The AMSAT Office will be closed on Monday, February 15th in observance of
Presidents' Day.

[ANS thanks Martha for the above information]

W1AW/4 Orlando Hamcation Demo

Thanks to everyone who called in to work K8YSE portable
at the Orlando Hamcation.  We had a great time working
everyone on SO-50 and FO-29.  The crowds were big and the
weather outside was sunny and warm

Although there was a lot of interest in seeing
our station, 9 year old Hope, KM4IPF operating
W1AW/4 on SO-50 definitely stole the show.

Before the pass I watched her pull the compass out
of a bag and tell her father where to point the antenna
at AOS and where it would finish up at LOS.  She used
two HT's for the operation.  Dad held the antenna for
her as she made contact after contact.  She had a crowd
around her and we had the IC910 set up about 40' away
and our crowd was listening to her on our setup.  Steve,
N9IP, was the antenna man at our station.  Near the end of
the pass I called her on the 910H and got a confirmation
from W1AW/4!  We had a signal path hundreds of miles long
but were only 40' apart!

Rick WA4NVM provided a recording of the pass and it is up
on my website:
http://www.papays.com/sat/general.html

Frank K9CIS also sent in some recordings of our
FO-29 passes which I'll put on the website later.
Anyone needing confirmation of a Hamcation contact with
K8YSE on LOTW, just send me the QSO details
and I'll upload it.  I can also do a QSL card on
request.

There is nothing like a good demo to generate interest
in satellites.  Just set up a station and the crows
starts gathering.  Thanks to everyone who helped
with the effort.

[ANS thanks John, K8YSE for the above information]

Japanese Ham Radio Satellite Launch Postponed

ChubuSat-2, ChubuSat-3 and Horyu-4 were expected to launch on Friday,
February 12 into a 575 km, 31 degree inclination orbit. This launch has
been postponed due to bad weather at the launch site. A rescheduled launch
date and time has not yet been announced.

http://spaceflightnow.com/2016/02/11/launch-of-japanese-x-ray-observatory-
postponed/
https://twitter.com/JAXA_en?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Yasutaka Narusawa JR2XEA provides the following information on ChubuSat-2/3:

Nagoya University(NU) and Mitsubishi Heavy Industries(MHI) developed 50kg
microsatellite ChubuSat-2(NU) and ChubuSat-3(MHI). These satellites have
amateur VHF receiver and amateur UHF transmitter, and will be launched
on Feb.
12 2016 from Tanegashima, Japan. Komaki Amateur SATCOM Club operates these
satellites from Komaki, Japan.

After the satellite separation, each satellite will transmit UHF CW beacon
message including battery voltage etc. which is very important
information for
our initial and critical operation. So we are very happy if you receive
the CW
beacon message and report to us email:
chubusat2 @ frontier.phys.nagoya-u.ac.jp

In following web site, we show the information(frequency, format, TLE, etc.)
about ChubuSat-2 and ChubuSat-3. If we have your report, we will show your
report in this page.
https://www.frontier.phys.nagoya-u.ac.jp/en/chubusat/chubusat_satellite2.html

Both satellite will provide the message exchange service. After the on-orbit
checkout of the satellite(maybe one month after launch), you can use this
service, sending your message with VHF uplink, then your message is
written to
the on-board memory. By sending inquiry message, anyone can read your
message
with UHF downlink.

ChubuSat-2 Satellite
Uplink:  145.815 MHz FSK  1200bps
Downlink: 437.100 MHz GMSK 9600bps and CW

ChubuSat-3 Satellite
Uplink:  145.840 MHz FSK  1200bps
Downlink: 437.425 MHz GMSK 9600bps and CW

The uplink/downlink format will be uploaded in above web site.

Horyu-4 downlink 437.375 MHz & 2400.300 MHz 1k2 AFSK,9k6 GMSK, S_BPSK, CW
http://kitsat.ele.kyutech.ac.jp/horyu4WEB/horyu4.html
http://www.amsatuk.me.uk/iaru/finished_detail.php?serialnum=434
https://www.facebook.com/Horyu-4-Arc-Event-Generator-and-Investigation-
Satellite-780188535364868/

[ANS thanks Yasutaka Narusawa JR2XEA, and AMSAT-UK for the above
information]

Old Dominion University OPEN HOUSE for local Middle and High Schools

The Open House is a recruiting event for the ODU School of Engineering.
It is
scheduled for February 19 & 20, 2016. Students from 40 Middle and High
Schools (400 – 600 students) throughout the Hampton Roads VA region will be
visiting the school to tour the labs and campus, meet the (current ODU)
students and faculty, and learn more about education and career
opportunities
in engineering.

K4AMG will be supporting the event by conducting a mini field day event will
be on Friday, Feb 19 and by hosting lab stations on Saturday Feb 20th
featuring a 15 minute presentation of ham radio topics. The lab topics
include:

An overview of amateur radio as a learning tool.
A (light) technical discussion about the science and engineering that
support radio communications.
A youth forum presented by several young radio amateurs
KJ4NFL – Emergency and Public Service Communications
WX4TVJ and AE4FH – Antennas
KJ4EYZ – Cultures and Environmental Considerations for DX-peditions
Satellite communications featuring the CUBESAT simulator provided by
AMSAT-NA
–KW4CR.
Society of Broadcast Engineers – Richard Dyer speaking on Careers in
Broadcast
Engineering and Electronics and Wireless Communications

At the student luncheon 9 year old Hope Lea, KM4IPF, will be the key note
speaker - subject OSCAR Satellite Communications

[ANS thanks Rich, WA8BUE for the above information]

Orlando Hamcation Satellite Demos Scheduled

A demo station at Orlando Hamcation has been scheduled
on Friday, Saturday and possibly on Sunday, February
12, 13, and 14. Operations will likely be on SO-50 and
FO-29 on the following passes:

2-12  1813-1832utc  FO-29
2-12  1826-1838utc  SO-50

2-13   1719-1737utc FO-29
2-13   1851-1904utc SO-50
2-13   1903-1922itc FO-29

2-14   1737-1749utc SO-50
2-14   1808-1827utc FO-29

Sunday is iffy.  We may be on other satellites
as well.

Please give us a call if you hear us and respond
with your grid square, city/state and name.  This
will help the onlookers to have a better idea of
where you are.

[ANS thanks John, K8YSE for the above information]

ARISS UK release full video of Tim Peake and RMS contact

This is the 77 minute video of the ARISS contact between Tim Peake GB1SS
and
the Royal Masonic School for Girls Rickmansworth GB1RMS. The video
starts with
the students of Cadogan House, the prep school for girls aged 4 to 11 at
the
Royal Masonic School for Girls singing a number of songs that have been
part
of their study into space. The video continues with the senior school
presenting an overview of the activities that they have been involved in as
part of their study and understanding of space. This section concludes
with a
panel of experts from the UK space industry fielding questions from the
assembled audience. At approximately 33 minutes, Ciaran Morgan M0XTD from
ARISS, starts the ARISS program with an introduction of the team, their
roles and all the equipment that has been brought to the school to help
facilitate the contact.

The actual ARISS contact starts at approximately 53 minutes into the video.

After the contact has finished, the school’s Head Girl concludes the
evening
with a short thank you speech and introduces the trainers who prepared
some of
the girls for the Foundation Amateur Radio License.

http://amsat-uk.org/2016/02/12/ariss-uk-release-full-video-of-tim-peake-and-
rms-contact/

More history made at second amateur radio call
http://amsat-uk.org/2016/02/12/more-history-made-at-second-amateur-radio-call/

HamTV on the ISS
http://amsat-uk.org/satellites/hamtv-on-the-iss/

What is Amateur Radio?
http://www.essexham.co.uk/what-is-amateur-radio

Find an UK amateur radio training course near you
https://thersgb.org/services/coursefinder/

A free booklet is available aimed at introducing newcomers to the hobby
that
can also be used as a handy reference while getting started, see
http://rsgb.org/main/get-started-in-amateur-radio/alex-discovers-amateur-radio
-2/

[ANS thanks ARISS-UK and AMSAT-UK for the above information]

AMSAT Events

Information about AMSAT activities at other important events around
the country.  Examples of these events are radio club meetings where
AMSAT Area Coordinators give presentations, demonstrations of working
amateur satellites, and hamfests with an AMSAT presence (a table with
AMSAT literature and merchandise, sometimes also with presentations,
forums, and/or demonstrations).

*Friday and Saturday, 19-20 February 2016 – Yuma Hamfest and 2016 ARRL
Southwest Division Convention in Yuma AZ

*Friday, 4 March 2016 – presentation for the Associated Radio Amateurs
of Long Beach meeting in Signal Hill CA

*Saturday and Sunday, 12-13 March 2016 – ScienceCity science fair, on
the University of Arizona campus in Tucson AZ

*Saturday, 19 March 2016 – Scottsdale Amateur Radio Club Spring
Hamfest 2016 in Scottsdale AZ

*Saturday, 26 March 2016 – Tucson Spring Hamfest in Tucson AZ

*Friday through Sunday, 29 April-1 May 2016 - ARRL Nevada State
Convention in Las Vegas NV

*Saturday, 7 May 2016 – Cochise Amateur Radio Association Hamfest in
Sierra Vista AZ

*Saturday, 4 June 2016 – White Mountain Hamfest in Show Low AZ

[ANS thanks AMSAT-NA for the above information]

ARISS News

Proposal Window for Scheduled Contacts in the US Opens February 15

The US partners of the Amateur Radio on the International Space Station
(ARISS) Program are seeking formal and informal educational institutions and
organizations in the US, individually or working together, to host an
Amateur
Radio contact with a crew member on board the ISS.  ARISS anticipates
that the
contact would be held between January 1, 2017 and June 30, 2017.

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/ARISS/Proposal%20Window%20Announcement-
2_15_16.pdf

Application Window Open for ARISS Europe Region

Schools and Youth organizations in the ARISS-Europe Region (Europe,
Africa and
Middle East) interested in setting up an ARISS radio contact with an
astronaut
onboard the International Space Station are invited to submit  an
application
and an educational project.  The application submission window will be open
February 1 to April 30, 2016, for space conversations that will
tentatively be
scheduled in the period extending from February to June 2017.

http://www.ariss-eu.org/school-contacts

Successful Contacts

Royal Masonic School for Girls, Rickmansworth, UK, direct via GB1RMS
The  ISS callsign was scheduled to be GB1SS
The scheduled astronaut was  Timothy Peake KG5BVI
Contact was successful: Thu 2016-02-11 18:09:02 UTC 89  deg
Congratulations to the HamTV crew that showed the contact!
This was a successful use of HamTV with an ARISS contact.

Videos at:
https://youtu.be/x3KpilFGQX4
https://youtu.be/ChKNtzYE_HQ

The Royal Masonic School for Girls is an independent girl’s day and
boarding
school in Rickmansworth, Hertfordshire, with an exceptional, unusual and
distinguished history. Founded in 1788 with the purpose of educating the
daughters of Freemasons who were unable to support their families, it is
one
of the oldest girls' schools in the country. We attract girls aged 4-18
from
across Hertfordshire, Buckinghamshire and North London and boarders from
all
over the world. We also have a Pre School for boys and girls aged 2 to
4. Our
ethos is both aspirational and nurturing and our girls strive to be the
very
best they can be, academically, morally and creatively. Our public
examination
results are consistently impressive and each year around 90% of girls leave
RMS to take up places at University. Life at RMS is centered on much
more than
"just" academic success and the School is well known for its exceptional
pastoral care, and the wealth of extra-curricular opportunities it offers -
including Astronomy as we are one of very few schools in the UK to have our
own planetarium and observatory!

Upcoming Contacts

Oasis Academy Brightstowe, Bristol, UK, direct via GB1OAB
The ISS  callsign is presently scheduled to be GB1SS
The scheduled astronaut is  Timothy Peake KG5BVI
Contact is a go for: Fri 2016-02-19 14:23:23 UTC 78  deg

UAH Space Hardware Club, Huntsville, Alabama, direct via K4UAH
The ISS  callsign is presently scheduled to be NA1SS
The scheduled astronaut is Tim  Kopra KE5UDN
Contact is a go for: Fri 2016-02-19 17:20:14 UTC 72 deg

The Space Hardware Club at the University of Alabama in Huntsville is an
engineering club of students that builds balloon payloads, satellites and
rockets outside of their regular classes. The club has been working on this
contact for over a year. After deciding to focus on 8th grade students, we
reached out to Discovery Middle School, Westlawn Middle School, and the
Tennessee Valley Homeschool 4-H group – all from the northern Alabama area.
The students from Westlawn have been part of Project Lead The Way for 2
years
now and have been exposed to robotics, modeling, and 3d printing. The
students
from the homeschool group all have a passion for STEM, a love of
learning and
being challenged, and are bubbling with excitement for this opportunity
of a
lifetime. There are two STEM II classes from Discovery Middle School that
routinely rise to the expectations of their accelerated STEM focused
curriculum. By the time of the contact, the students will have learned
about
the ISS, the astronauts and some of the experiments aboard, and amateur
radio.
All of the students and club members involved are passionate about this
opportunity, and thank you for your time.

Watch
http://www.ariss.org/upcoming-contacts.html
for information about upcoming contacts as they are scheduled.

[ANS thanks ARISS, and Charlie, AJ9N for the above information]

Satellite Shorts From All Over

Austin, Texas Students to Speak to Space Station Astronaut

Students from the Knowledge is Power Program (KIPP) charter schools in
Austin,
Texas will have the opportunity to speak with a NASA astronaut currently
living and working on the International Space Station at 11:55 a.m. EST on
Tuesday, Feb. 16. The 20-minute, Earth-to-space call will air live on NASA
Television and the agency’s website. The contact is schedule via Skype.

[ANS thanks NASA News Service for the above information]

Help XE1AO get his satellite WAS award via LOTW!

Omar XE1AO, a long-time satellite operator in central Mexico, tweeted
yesterday that he is interested in making contact with stations in 7
states to finally have all 50 states confirmed via Logbook of the
World. The last 7 states he needs are:

Kansas
Maine
New Jersey
New York
Rhode Island
Washington
West Virginia

Omar is in grid DK89df, if that helps in making calculations on possible
passes that he can work. His e-mail address on QRZ is good, so you can
contact him directly if you are able to help him get his satellite WAS
award. He is also on Twitter as @XE1AO, but his Twitter feed is not open
to the public. He's received a few suggestions to get a couple of these
states taken care of, so hopefully he can finally reach that goal.

[ANS thanks Patrick Stoddard, WD9EWK/VA7EWK, AMSAT Director for Field
Operations for the above information]

6D0F Special Call

David Maciel XE3DX will work the special prefix 6D0F, for the apostolic
journey of his holiness pope Francis to Mexico.

Times include:
Thursday  11 February 2016 18:00 UTC
Thursday, 18 February 2016 18:59 UTC

David will work from grid EK36, Chiapas, on only FM satellites SO-50 and
AO-85.

The QSL Manager is XE1LM.
Visit
https://www.qrz.com/lookup/6d0f/
http://www.qsl.net/xe3dx/

[ANS thanks David Maciel, XE3DX for the above information]

/EX

In addition to regular membership, AMSAT offers membership in the
President's Club. Members of the President's Club, as sustaining
donors to AMSAT Project Funds, will be eligible to receive addi-
tional benefits. Application forms are available from the AMSAT
Office.

Primary and secondary school students are eligible for membership
at one-half the standard yearly rate. Post-secondary school students
enrolled in at least half time status shall be eligible for the stu-
dent rate for a maximum of 6 post-secondary years in this status.
Contact Martha at the AMSAT Office for additional student membership
information.

73,
This week's ANS Editor,
Joe Spier, K6WAO