[jamsat-news:3616] [ans] ANS-146 Weekly News Bulletin May 26, 2019

Frank Karnauskas via ANS ans @ amsat.org
2019年 5月 26日 (日) 12:08:39 JST

AMSAT NEWS SERVICE
ANS-146

The AMSAT News Service bulletins are a free, weekly news and
information service of AMSAT North America, The Radio
Amateur Satellite Corporation.  ANS publishes news related to Amateur
Radio in space including reports on the activities of a worldwide
group of Amateur Radio operators who share an active interest in
designing, building, launching and communicating through analog and
digital Amateur Radio satellites.

The news feed on http://amsat.org publishes news of Amateur Radio
in space as soon as our volunteers can post it.

Please send any amateur satellite news or reports to:
ans-editor at amsat dot org.

In this edition:

* Dollar-for-Dollar Match on your ARISS Donation Thru June 17, 2019
* Keith Pugh, W5IU SK
* AMSAT Journal Call for Photos
* ANS Asks For Stories About Your Hamvention-AMSAT Experience
* AMSAT Payload on ESEO Activated
* ARISS/SAREX Teacher wins AIAA Achievement Award
* Call for Nominations - AMSAT Board of Directors
* AMSAT Golf Fundraising is Underway!
* ESEO Mission Hampered by Anomaly
* ARRL Updates TQSL Data for New Satellites
* ARISS Hamvention Forum Slides Available for Download
* ARISS SSTV Planned Over Russia for Moscow Aviation Institute
* Upcoming Satellite Operations
* ARISS News
* Satellite Shorts from All Over

SB SAT @ AMSAT $ANS-146.01
ANS-146 AMSAT News Service Weekly Bulletins

AMSAT News Service Bulletin 146.01
>From AMSAT HQ KENSINGTON, MD.
May 26, 2019
To All RADIO AMATEURS
BID: $ANS-146.01

Dollar-for-Dollar Match on your ARISS Donation Thru June 17, 2019

During the ARISS Forum at the Hamvention, it was announced, that
between now and June 17, that an anonymous donor will equally match
one dollar for each dollar donated up to $10,000.

Here is an excellent opportunity to get the most from your donations
to the ARISS FundRazr. The FundRazr Project was initiated to raise
$150,000 towards the ARISS Radio Upgrade on ISS. To date 90
contributors have donated $24,840 to the campaign, about 17% of the
goal. $10,000 of your dollars, donated now, will raise that total to
$44,840, including the matching funds. It would be great if we could
actually achieve one-third of our goal ($50,000) by mid-June.
Please donate today at
https://fundrazr.com/arissnextgen?ref=ab_6ruVeeeNzOa6ruVeeeNzOa

[ANS thanks AMSAT for the above information.]

Keith Pugh, W5IU SK

ARISS Friends,

It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of ARISS team
member Keith Pugh, W5IU.   Keith spent his life on Earth as a true
gentlemen, serving others, enjoying friendship and relationships, and
supporting his passions: amateur radio, flying and most importantly
his love of God and all the great things on this Earth.

Those that knew Keith considered him a Texan through and through.
But truth be told, he was born and raised in Dodge City, Kansas.
After college, he left Kansas and settled permanently in the
Fort Worth, Texas area where he picked up that Texas accent and
welcomed us into his world.  And it is in Texas where he passed away
on May 24, 2019.

Active with AMSAT and Amateur Radio satellites since the 1980's,
Keith jump-started his passion for amateur radio on human spaceflight
missions in 1991, when the Space Station Mir was in orbit and Soviet
ham radio operators were talking to the world-wide amateur radio
community.  Keith helped install a Soviet Space Exhibit in Fort Worth
in 1991 and he hosted Musa Manarov U2MIR's visit to the USA.
Ultimately, Keith joined the ARISS team in 2004, where he has
provided support as one of our operations leaders, technical
mentoring numerous schools and ARISS contact organizations and
providing his warm friendship and guidance to all in our team.  Keith
also attended several of our ARISS International meetings, including
our 2008 ARISS-I meeting in Moscow and Kaluga.

Many of us were aware of Keith's cancer.  But, Keith being Keith, he
kept most of his pain and suffering to himself.  He remained joyful
and humble until his death.  In fact, just a few days before his
death--this past Tuesday, Keith signed into the ARISS International
teleconference, apologizing that he came in late.  None of us knew
this would be our last dialog with such a close friend and
outstanding member of our team.

As I stated, one of Keith's passions was flying as a private pilot.
In fact for one of his vacations he flew a Cessna aircraft around
Australia.  As a fellow pilot, I know that Keith must have been an
avid fan of the poem "High Flight" written by John Gillespie Magee
Jr.   Paraphrasing this poem:

While we mourn the loss of our good friend, Keith Pugh, let us
joyfully reflect on the fact that Keith has

Slipped the surly bonds of Earth

And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Topped the windswept heights with easy grace

And, while with silent lifting mind, Keith has trod

The high unsurpassed sanctity of Space,

Put out his hand and touched the face of God.

Our thoughts and prayers are with Keith Pugh, W5IU SK as he touches
the face of God.

73,  Frank Bauer, KA3HDO

[ANS thanks Frank Bauer, KA3HDO for the above information.]

AMSAT Journal Call for Photos

Joe Kornowski, KB6IGK, AMSAT Journal Editor sends a call for photos
from the folks attending Hamvention 2019. Please send your photos in
JPG format in as high resolution as feasible to Joe at
kb6igk @ amsat.org.

[ANS thanks Joe Kornowski, KB6IGK for the above information.]

ANS Asks For Stories About Your Hamvention-AMSAT Experience

The Editors of the AMSAT News Service are interested in hearing your
testimonials about your AMSAT experience during this years
Hamvention. Please forward comments to ans-editor (at) amsat.org.

We hope to use these as shorts in future ANS News Bulletins to
stimulate interest and promote Keeping Amateur Radio in Space.
Comments will also be shared with Editors of the AMSAT Journal.

Tell us about new friends, old friends, new ideas, new techniques,
inspirational epiphanies, or anything else that that got you excited
about operating or becoming more involved in our great hobby.

Again, please submit your stories to ans-editor (at) amsat.org.

[ANS thanks ANS Editors for the above information]

AMSAT Payload on ESEO Activated

ESA have just released a new mission update for the ESEO Mission. It
can be seen at
https://www.esa.int/Education/ESEO/ESEO_mission_updates.

FUNcube is delighted that the BPSK telemetry transmitter on its
payload was enabled for a period of just over 200 minutes in orbit.

Although they were not able to announce this activation in advance,
more than ten stations around the world successfully received the
telemetry on 145.895 MHz and submitted it to the FUNcube Data
Warehouse. They are very grateful to them for their support.

Over 50 channels of Real Time and Whole Orbit Data were collected.
For example, a number of on-board temperatures which covers the
period from 11:58 to 13:36 UTC.  The very last frame received was
captured by PQ2HX in Brazil at around 14:17 UTC.

They are keenly awaiting further possibilities to exercise more of
the payload as soon as this becomes possible but, in the meantime,
is good to know that all the telemetry channels reported nominal
values.

Read the entire article at https://funcube.org.uk/.

[ANS thanks FUNcube for the above information]

ARISS/SAREX Teacher wins AIAA Achievement Award

Upper St. Clair High School Education Coordinator Patricia Palazzolo
in Upper St. Clair, PA was one of three recipients who received
recently, the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics
(AIAA) Foundation Educator Achievement Award.  This award recognizes
K-12 educators for their outstanding work promoting STEM subjects
among America's youth. Patricia's students have been involved in ham
radio contacts with astronauts on both the Space Shuttle and the ISS.
She and her students presented a paper on her STEM programs at the
2004 AMSAT Symposium in Washington DC. The article about her award is
at: https://tinyurl.com/ANS146-AIAAAward

Her school's website write-up is at:
https://www.uscsd.k12.pa.us/Page/1105

Her AMSAT Symposium paper is posted at:
https://tinyurl.com/ANS146-SymposiumPaper

Patricia Palazzolo is a grade 7 - 12 Gifted Coordinator in the Upper
St. Clair (PA) School District, but is probably best known as
"Pennsylvania Teacher-in-Space." In 1985, she was named Pennsylvania
finalist for what was to become the ill-fated Challenger mission. In
that role, she has addressed over 50,000 Americans and conducted
teacher workshops from Colorado to New Brunswick. Her students have
sent sea-monkeys and Chia Pet seeds into orbit with John Glenn,
spoken with cosmonaut Sergei Krikalev while he circled the Earth as
the first Russian on the American space shuttle, and contacted
astronaut Mike Fincke on the International Space Station via amateur
radio. Pat was the 2002 recipient of the Anne Morrow Lindbergh K-12
Aerospace Educator Award.

[ANS thanks the AIAA via Frank Bauer, KA3HDO for the above
information.]

Call for Nominations - AMSAT Board of Directors

It's time to submit nominations for the upcoming AMSAT Board of
Directors election. Four directors' terms expire this year: those of
Jerry Buxton, N0JY; Clayton Coleman, W5PFG; Drew Glasbrenner, KO4MA;
and Paul Stoetzer, N8HM.  In addition, up to two Alternates may be
elected for one-year terms.

A valid nomination requires either one Member Society or five current
individual members in good standing to nominate an AMSAT member for
Director.  Written nominations, consisting of the nominee's name and
call, and the nominating individuals' names, calls and individual
signatures should be mailed to:

AMSAT
10605 CONCORD ST STE 304
KENSINGTON MD 20895-2526

In addition to traditional submissions of written nominations, which
is the preferred method, the intent to nominate someone may be made
by electronic means. These include e-mail, fax, or electronic image
of a petition. Electronic petitions should be sent to
martha at amsat.org or faxed to +1-301-822-4371.

No matter what means is used, petitions MUST arrive at the AMSAT
office no later than June 15th.  If the nomination is a traditional
written nomination, no other action is required.  If electronic means
are used, a verifying traditional written petition MUST be received at
the AMSAT office within 7 days following the close of nominations
on June 15th.

ELECTRONIC SUBMISSIONS WITHOUT THIS SECOND, WRITTEN VERIFICATION ARE
NOT VALID UNDER THE EXISTING AMSAT BYLAWS.

[ANS thanks the AMSAT Office for the above information]

AMSAT Golf Fundraising is Underway!

AMSAT Golf fundraising is underway more than ever before. Once again,
we have stocked the store with some neat stuff.

You can order from the AMSAT online store a set of 3 golf balls.
One has the Golf Tee logo, one has the Golf-1 logo and one has the
AMSAT 50th Anniversary logo for only $50.

But, if you really want something special, you can get the same three
golf balls signed by three AMSAT Presidents, Keith Baker, KB1SF;
Barry Baines, WD4ASW; and Joe Spier, K6WAO, for only $100.

Both are available at the AMSAT online store under the Trinkets tab
and only while supplies last. If we run out of the signed golf balls,
we will have more signed.

Coming soon - 2019 AMSAT tee Shirts, golf shirts, hats, decals
and pins.

[ANS thanks Bruce Paige, KK5DO for the above information]

ESEO Mission Hampered by Anomaly

After having started its in orbit commissioning, since a few weeks
the ESEO mission has been experiencing an anomaly. The educational
path of the ESEO students however continues.

The ESEO AMSAT-UK radio payload was successfully activated in the
morning of 12 April 2019, and it started transmitting its payload
telemetry. These data were received by many radio amateurs around
the globe.

Unfortunately, a few hours after the AMSAT-UK activation, ESEO
suddenly started to behave anomalously, repeatedly sending the same
notification message to  ground, which normally should have been sent
only once.  The continuous use of the radio transmitter to send these
notifications, in combination with the AMSAT-UK activation, led to a
temporary discharge of the battery when the spacecraft was in
eclipse. This under-voltage then triggered the protections to
automatically shut-down the AMSAT-UK payload.

A clear reason for the anomaly has not been identified yet, but the
most accredited hypothesis is a possible radiation effect on a memory
cell, which in principle could be recovered through an automatic
reboot of the on-board computer (data handling system), that cannot
however be anticipated.

In the meanwhile, until this malfunction is resolved, ESEO cannot
receive tele-commands and its in-orbit commissioning cannot continue.
However, ESEO can still transmit correctly. Every 5 minutes the
spacecraft sends to ground general data on its health status. The
data show that the satellite’s power subsystem is able to correctly
recharge the batteries of the spacecraft, and that the electrical
and thermal parameters of the satellite do not show significant
anomalies.

These data are systematically stored in a database and are accessible
on-line to the ESEO students for educational purposes.

The students of the University of Bologna, responsible of the ESEO
Mission Control Centre, in Forlì (Italy), commented: “We are looking
forward to the in-depth analysis of all the ESEO telemetry which we
are receiving regularly. This will offer us a lot to learn,” they
continued. “Every unexpected difficulty we had to deal with so far
during the ESEO mission operations pushed us to stretch our knowledge
in order to find the way to resolve it. Now we are looking forward
to resolve also the current issues to be able to complete the
in-orbit commissioning."

“On 28 May 2019 we will hold a dedicated webinar for all the ESEO
student teams,” said Piero Galeone, responsible of the ESA Academy
programme of which ESEO is a part. “The objective is to illustrate
and explain the current status of the mission. This will be
followed in July 2019 by a whole workshop focused on the ESEO
in-flight experience, in order to enhance the students’ learning
opportunities at maximum extent.”

[ANS thanks the ESA for the above information.]

ARRL Updates TQSL Data for New Satellites

The ARRL has released TQSL configuration file config.xml version
11.8, adding PO-101 and AISAT1 as valid satellites for LoTW.

Changed in this release:

In the Satellite enumeration, added entries for:
- AISAT1 - AISAT-1 AMSAT India APRS Digipeater
- PO-101 - Philippines-OSCAR-101 (Diwata-2)

In the ADIFMODE enumeration, added an entry for:
- FT4 as submode of MFSK

[ANS thanks AMSAT for the above information.]

ARISS Hamvention Forum Slides Available for Download

Did you know that ARISS is the longest continuously running payload
on the ISS?  Or, that ARISS is poised to follow astronauts to the
Lunar Gateway mission?  How about that students relay APRS messages
through ARISS to control robots thousands of miles away?

These are some of the interesting facts that approximately 150
people attending the ARISS forum at Hamvention learned.

In addition to ARISS staff presentations, forum attendees also
enjoyed an appearance by ARRL CEO Howard Michel, WB2ITX as well as
NASA Flight Surgeon Keith Brandt, WD9GET and broadcast personality
Gordon West, WB6NOA.

The forum was conducted by Frank Bauer, KA3HDO who is ISS Ham Radio
Program Manager & Principal Investigator, ARISS International Chair,
and AMSAT V.P. for Human Spaceflight Programs.  Frank has made the
entire set of slides available for viewing.  You can download the
complete PowerPoint presentation (52 slides in a 7 Mb file) at:
https://tinyurl.com/ans-146-ariss-slides.

[ANS thanks Frank Bauer, KA3HDO for the above information.]

ARISS SSTV Planned Over Russia for Moscow Aviation Institute

A Russian MAI-SSTV event is planned for Wednesday, June 5 from
12:00-16:00 UTC and June 6 from 11:30-15:30 UTC.  Transmissions are
expected to be at 145.800 MHz in SSTV mode PD120. Based on the times
received, SSTV signals are not expected over N. America.

This event uses a computer in the ISS Russian Segment, which stores
images that are then transmitted to Earth using the ARISS Amateur
Radio station located in the Service Module which employs the
Kenwood TM-D710E transceiver.

Amateur radio operators and other radio enthusiasts are invited to
post the images they receive at
http://www.spaceflightsoftware.com/ARISS_SSTV/index.php

Please note that the event is dependent on other activities,
schedules and crew responsibilities on the ISS and is subject to
change at any time.

Online radios can be used to receive signals from the International
Space Station at
SUWS WebSDR located Farnham near London http://farnham-sdr.com/
and R4UAB WebSDR located European Russia http://websdr.r4uab.ru/.

For updates check Twitter at
https://twitter.com/ARISS_status/status/1131945966297182210?s=03

[ANS thanks ARISS and AMSAT-UK for the above information.]

Upcoming Satellite Operations

WY CO TX Roadtrip (DN71, DM77, DM95, DM85) – May 24-28, 2019
Clayton, W5PFG is hitting the road and bringing his AMSAT gear with
him.
- May 24-26 DN71 (WY)
- May 26-27 DM77 (CO)
- May 27-28 DM95/DM85 (TX).
All FM/SSB satellites, holiday-style. Open to schedules with EU.
Watch Twitter feed for more updates: https://twitter.com/w5pfg

Nova Scotia, Canada (FN84+) – May 18 though June 2, 2019
Ron, AD0DX, will be operating from Nova Scotia using his Canadian
call sign VA3IIR, from FN97 afternoon of May 29th, and around the
FN95/96 GN05/06 grid corner the through June 2nd. (Note, expected
grid corner activation afternoon of June 1st). This will be a
holiday-style roving trip, with specific pass announcements posted
to Twitter feed https://twitter.com/ad0dx.

Idaho (DN23) – May 31, 2019
Dennis, N7EGY, will be traveling through DN23 on May 31 and will stop
to work passes on AO-92 (1715Z & 1848Z) and AO-91 (1740Z & 1915Z).

Pre-Hot Rod Power Tour Rove (Wyoming to Tennessee) – June 2-7, 2019
On June 2nd, RJ, WY7AA and the Elco will head South to start roving
on the DM77/78 gridline, heading east working gridlines and corners
along the way all the way to EM87/88 hopefully. RJ will try to be on
as many FM passes as possible, with a few linears as time allows.
Follow RJ on APRS.fi as WY7AA-9, as he will not have Twtter access
along the road. Checkout WY7AA’s QRZ page for specific plans he will
post before he leaves, and @dtabor (N6UA) will help by posting on
Twitter if he has any updates from the road.

Toronto, Canada – May 24-30, 2019
Matthew, VO1WEB, will be heading to Toronto May 24th-30th. He will
be bringing his FM satellite gear with him, and will be working
rover around the downtown Toronto and Niagara Falls area. Watch
Matthew’s Twitter feed for further updates https://twitter.com/VO1WEB.

Memorial Day Weekend on the Queen Mary – May 25-27, 2019
Satellite operating will make a return to the RMS Queen Mary during
the upcoming Memorial Day weekend (25-27 May 2019), as part of the
“Memorial Day Salute to Service” by the Queen Mary. W6RO will be on
the satellites, as well as the HF bands, during these 3 days.  The
Queen Mary will be honoring those who have served in the armed
forces, and in particular the Queen Mary’s use as a troopship during
World War II. The Queen Mary, along with other cruise ships, were
pressed into service to ferry Allied soldiers around the world.
Along with the other activities planned on the ship, some of which
are already listed on the Queen Mary’s web site at
https://www.queenmary.com/calendar-of-events/memorial-day/home/

Pacific Northwest (CN85, CN83/CN84, CN76/CN86) – May 31 to
June 2, 2019
Casey, KI7UNJ, will be on in CN83/84 Friday, May 31st, CN85 Saturday,
June 1st, and CN76/86 Sunday, June 2nd.  The pass list to come in the
next few weeks.

Minnesota, eh? (EN37, EN38) – June 1, 2019
Paul, KE0PBR, will be making a trip up to the Iron Range to
activate EN37 and EN38.  Upon arrival, he will attempt to find a good
spot to operate from the grid line, but this is a very rural and
hilly area, full of trees.  Plan is for mostly linears, bit will do
FM when possible. There is a possibility of activating additional
grids along the way.  DM or email Paul, if you need a grid near
there.  You can follow him on aprs.fi (KE0PBR-9) and monitor him on
DMR 98006 (AMSAT room).  In addition, watch Paul’s Twitter feed for
further announcements at https://twitter.com/KE0PBR for possible
updates (limited cell coverage area).

EM57/EM67 Line – June 4, 2019
Michael, N4DCW, will be at the EM57/67 line on June 4, 2019. He’ll
post satellite passes a week before on twitter and the -bb, but will
plan for the AO-9x and SO-50 midday passes. FM only. On the day of,
Michael will post updates via his twitter feed at
https://twitter.com/MWimages

Hot Rod Power Tour Rove (North Carolina to Ohio) – June 8-14, 2019
>From June 8th to 14th, WY7AA will be traveling with several thousand
other Hot Rods along a winding route from NC to OH. RJ will mostly
be activating in the evenings on FM passes including grids EM95,
FM06, EM86, EM78, EM69, EN71, and EN81.  Checkout the event route at
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/hot-rod-power-tour-2019-dates-
locations-june-8th-14th/ (Note the line break in the URL. - Ed.)
And, if anyone is anywhere close to the route, come out and see the
spectacle and let RJ know on Twitter if you are coming out.  Follow
RJ on APRS.fi as WY7AA-9.

#HomewardBoundRove (DN13, DN14, DN21, DN22, DN23) – June 14-18,2019
Casey, KI7UNJ, will be hitting a few grids on his way home.  Look
for DN13/DN14 line on June 14th, DN21/DN22 line June 15th, DN22 on
June 17th, and DN23 on June 18th.  FM only.  Pass times expected
between 1700-2000UTC.  Specific passes to be posted on Casey’s
Twitter feed at https://twitter.com/KI7UNJ.

Post Hot Rod Power Tour Rove (New York to Wyoming) – June 15-27, 2019
Following the Hot Rod Power Tour, I will be heading to FN02 for a
few days and plan to work FN01/11 gridline around June 17-18.
Details to follow. I will be heading as far east as FN32 and then
eventually working my way back to DN71. Specifically looking for
EN01/02 along the way. Details will be posted to Twitter and my QRZ
page as the trip plans unfold. Follow me on APRS.fi as WY7AA-9, as
he will not have Twitter access along the road.

#JosephOrBustRove (DN04, DN05, DN15) – June 28-30, 2019
Casey, KI7UNJ, will be wandering around Eastern Oregon and decided
to do a little grid activating.  Look for Casey on FM passes in DN04
mid-Friday, June 28th, in DN15 Friday night to Saturday evening, and
DN05 Sunday morning.  Specific passes to be posted on Casey’s
Twitter feed at https://twitter.com/KI7UNJ.

Iceland (HP95 IP15 IP25 IP03 HP03) – July 13-19, 2019
Adam, K0FFY, is taking his family (and his radios) to Iceland.
Tentative schedule is HP95 on July 13, IP13 and IP15 on July 14-15,
IP25 on July 16, IP03 or HP93 on July 17-18, and HP94 on July 19.
There’s a lot to see, so passes will be best effort and announced on
Twitter shortly prior at https://twitter.com/K0FFY_Radio

[ANS thanks Robert Bankston, KE4AL for the above information.]

ARISS News

+ Completed ARISS Contacts

Curtin Primary School, Canberra, Australia, telebridge via K6DUE
The ISS callsign was NA1SS.
The astronaut was Nick Hague, KG5TMV.
The contact was successful: Mon 2019-05-20 08:39:42 UTC.

+ Upcoming ARISS Contact Schedule

Ufa, Russia, direct via TBD
The ISS callsign is presently scheduled to be RSØISS.
The scheduled astronaut is Oleg Konenenko.
Contact is go for: Sun 2019-05-26 15:55 UTC.

Pacific Coast Schools, Los Suenos, Costa Rica, telebridge via IK1SLD
The ISS callsign is presently scheduled to be OR4ISS.
The scheduled astronaut is David St-Jacques, KG5FYI.
Contact is go for: Mon 2019-05-27 16:31:25 UTC 34 deg.
(Starting about 15 minutes before AOS, watch for a live stream at
www.ariotti.com.)

Mildred Hall School, Yellowknife, NT, Canada, telebridge via ON4ISS
The ISS callsign is presently scheduled to be OR4ISS.
The scheduled astronaut is David St-Jacques, KG5FYI.
Contact is go for: Mon 2019-05-27 19:44:22 UTC 81 deg.

Walter Murray Collegiate Institute, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
via VK6MJ
The ISS callsign is presently scheduled to be NA1SS.
The scheduled astronaut is David St-Jacques, KG5FYI.
Contact is go for: Mon 2019-05-27 20:18:50 UTC 48 deg.

Amur State University, Blagoveshchensk, Russia, direct via TBD.
The ISS callsign is presently scheduled to be RSØISS.
The scheduled astronaut is Aleksey Ovchinin.
Contact is a go for Wed 2019-06-05 07:50 UTC.

[ANS thanks Charlie Sufana, AJ9N  for the above information.]

Satellite Shorts from All Over

+ AMSAT Office Closed for Memorial Day Holiday

The AMSAT office is closed through Monday, May 27, 2019 to observe
the Memorial Day holiday.

[ANS thanks Martha Saragovitz for the above information.]

+ Philippines’ Satellite Diwata-2 Receives Good News Coverage

Engineering.com posted an informative article about Diwata-2 on
May 20, 2019.  The article is oriented for the non-Amateur Radio
audience but gives enough specific information for those interested
to learn more about how to learn more about Amateur Radio and how it
is used in satellite missions.  Read the entire article at
https://tinyurl.com/ans-146-diwata-2

CNN Philippines also featured a one-and-a-half minute segment about
Filipino researchers and engineers who developed a satellite that
can be used in times of disaster.  Diwata-2 and its Amateur Radio
component are nicely featured in the segment.  Watch the video at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n51a_sIBcRA&feature=youtu.be

[ANS thanks Engineering.com and CNN for the above information.]

In addition to regular membership, AMSAT offers membership in the
President's Club. Members of the President's Club, as sustaining
donors to AMSAT Project Funds, will be eligible to receive
additional benefits. Application forms are available from the
AMSAT office.

Primary and secondary school students are eligible for membership at
one-half the standard yearly rate. Post-secondary school students
enrolled in at least half time status shall be eligible for the
student rate for a maximum of six post-secondary years in this
status.

Contact Martha at the AMSAT office for additional student
membership information.

73,
This week's ANS Editor,
Frank Karnauskas, N1UW
n1uw at amsat dot org

Sent via AMSAT-BB @ amsat.org. AMSAT-NA makes this open forum
available to all interested persons worldwide without requiring
membership. Opinions expressed are solely those of the author
and do not reflect the official views of AMSAT-NA.

Not an AMSAT member: Join now to support the amateur satellite
program!