[jamsat-news:3552] [ans] ANS-287 AMSAT News Service Weekly Bulletins

JoAnne K9JKM via ANS ans @ amsat.org
2018年 10月 14日 (日) 09:16:56 JST

AMSAT NEWS SERVICE
ANS-287

The AMSAT News Service bulletins are a free, weekly news and infor-
mation service of AMSAT North America, The Radio Amateur Satellite
Corporation. ANS publishes news related to Amateur Radio in Space
including reports on the activities of a worldwide group of Amateur
Radio operators who share an active interest in designing, building,
launching and communicating through analog and digital Amateur Radio
satellites.

The news feed on http://www.amsat.org publishes news of Amateur
Radio in Space as soon as our volunteers can post it.

Please send any amateur satellite news or reports to:
ans-editor at amsat.org.

You can sign up for free e-mail delivery of the AMSAT News Service
Bulletins via the ANS List; to join this list see:

In this edition:

* Applied Citizen Science on AMSAT AO-92
* Heading for Huntsville - 2018 AMSAT Space Symposium Latest News
* AMSAT 2018 Space Symposium Schedule of Events
* October 23 Webinar for ARISS School Contact Proposal Teams
* AO-7 to Enter Full Illumination Period October 18
* Video - AO-92 L-band Demo by N8HM at Hamvention
* International Space Station Crew Member Fires Up NA1SS to Seek
   Random Contacts
* Digital Downloads of Past AMSAT Symposium Proceedings Now Available
* FUNcube Operational Status Update
* Satellite DX Opportunities
* Upcoming Satellite Operations
* HamSCI Expanding to the Southern Hemisphere
* NASA and ESA 2018 Student STEM First Lego League Competition
* Satellite Shorts From All Over

SB SAT @ AMSAT $ANS-287.01
ANS-287 AMSAT News Service Weekly Bulletins

AMSAT News Service Bulletin 287.01
 From AMSAT HQ KENSINGTON, MD.
DATE October 14, 2018
To All RADIO AMATEURS
BID: $ANS-287.01

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
|  The September/October edition of Apogee View, a comprehensive  |
|   update on AMSAT's activities by AMSAT President Joe Spier,    |
|      K6WAO, has been posted to the AMSAT website at:            |
| https://www.amsat.org/apogeeview/                   |
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

Applied Citizen Science on AMSAT AO-92

AMSAT Vice-President of Operations, Drew Glasbrenner, KO4MA,
commanded the Virginia Tech camera onboard AO-92 to try to image
Hurricane Michael on passes over southern United States and the
Gulf of Mexico on October 10-11. Images that were captured can
be viewed on-line at: http://www.amsat.org/tlm/

The images are transmitted via 9K6 high-speed telemetry on AO-92's
145.880 MHz downlink. FoxTelem software, available at the URL above,
is used to capture and decode the data. Note that partial reception
and an upload to the FoxTelem servers will still help the mission.
Any single line is helpful as we stitch the whole photo back together
on the server.

Chris Thompson, G0KLA/AC2CZ, author of the FoxTelem software, noted
differences in the quality of the images received at different times.
Read his analysis on his blog, posted at:
http://www.g0kla.com/workbench/2018-10-07.php
This provides valuable insight regarding the orientation of the
satellite and changes in the X, Y, and Z-axis rotation. These plots
were created from AO-92 telemetry uploaded by FoxTelem users world
wide.

[ANS thanks AMSAT Vice-President of Operations, Drew Glasbrenner,
  KO4MA, and FoxTelem author Chris Thompson, G0KLA/AC2CZ for the
  above information]

Heading for Huntsville - 2018 AMSAT Space Symposium Latest News

+ The Symposium Room rate at the Huntsville Marriott at the
   Space & Rocket Center expires on October 17.

   Hotel accommodations will be at the Marriott at the Space
   & Rocket Center, 5 Tranquility Base, Huntsville, Alabama
   USA. Hotel reservations for the Symposium may be made by
   individual attendees directly with Marriott reservations at:
    + 1-(800) 228-9290 or
    + (256) 830-2222 or
    + On-line at http://tinyurl.com/Marriott-2018-Symposium-Hotel

   Please mention the Radio Amateur Satellite Corporation (AMSAT)
   reference number M-BIHHXTA for the group rate of $104 per night.
    + The AMSAT group rate is available 10/31/18 to 11/04/18.
    + Book by 10/17/18.
    + Marriott perks include free parking for attendees and
      complimentary Wi-Fi.

+ The Symposium Papers Deadline is October 15 ... so you really
   need to get with the program this weekend if you plan on a
   paper and presentation. Papers should be sent to Dan Schultz at
   n8fgv at amsat dot org.

+ The Symposium Early Registration Rate Has Expired.
   Symposium Registration is now $65 thru October 26, 2018.
   Symposium Registration at the door is $70.
   To register for Symposium visit:
   https://www.amsat.org/product-category/amsat-symposium/

+ Symposium Saturday night banquet reservations are due by
   October 20. Dinner reservations are $50 per person.
   https://www.amsat.org/product-category/amsat-symposium/

+ SOLD OUT - Sunday's Marshall Space Flight Center Bus Tour.

[ANS thanks AMSAT 2018 Symposium Committee and Dan N8FGV for the
  above information]

AMSAT 2018 Space Symposium Schedule of Events

The 2018 AMSAT Symposium Committee has announced version 1.1 of the
schedule of events for the 2018 AMSAT-NA 36th Annual Space Symposium
and General Meeting, November 1-4, 2018 at the U.S. Space and Rocket
Center, Huntsville, Alabama

Thursday, November 1, 2018 - Board of Directors Meeting
Huntsville Marriott at the Space and Rocket Center
+ 8 am - noon AMSAT Board Meeting, Columbia Room
+ Noon - 1 pm AMSAT Board Lunch Break, Columbia Room
+ 1 pm - 6 pm AMSAT Board Meeting, Columbia Room
+ 6 pm - 7:30 pm AMSAT Board Dinner Break, Columbia Room
+ 7:30 pm - 10:00 pm AMSAT Board Meeting, Columbia Room
+ 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm Registration, (TBD)

Friday, November 2, 2018 - U.S. Space & Rocket Center

+ 8 am - noon AMSAT Board Meeting, Marriott Columbia Room
  (Closed Session)
+ U.S. Space & Rocket Center Educator Training Facility
+ 9:00 am - 4:00 pm Registration, Foyer
+ 9:00 am - noon Self-guided tours of Huntsville and US Space and
   Rocket Center
+ 1:00 pm - 1:15pm AMSAT Symposium Kickoff, President's Welcome,
   Educator Training Facility
+ 1:15 pm - 5:00 pm Paper Sessions, Presentation Schedule TBD
+ 5:00 pm - 7:30 pm Informal Dinner on your own
+ 7:30 pm - 9:00 pm AMSAT Reception, Educator Training Facility
   Cash Bar Available

Saturday November 3, 2018 - U.S. Space & Rocket Center
Educator Training Facility
+ 8:00 am - 11:45 am Registration, Foyer
+ 8:00 am - 8:15 am AMSAT Symposium Welcome
+ 8:15 am - noon Paper Sessions Presentation Schedule TBD
+ Noon - 1:00 pm Lunch on your own
+ 1:00 pm - 3:15 pm Paper Sessions, Presentation Schedule TBD
+ 3:30 pm - 4:45 pm AMSAT Annual Meeting & Awards Ceremony
+ 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm Attitude Adjustment, Cash Bar, Saturn V Hall
+ 6:00 pm - 10:00 pm Cash Bar, Saturn V Hall
+ 7:00 pm - 10:00 pm Banquet, Saturn V Hall
   Keynote Speaker - TBD
   Prize Drawing

Sunday November 4, 2018
+ 9:00 am - 4:00 pm U.S. Space and Rocket Center
   Marshall Space Flight Center Tour

Bruce Paige, KK5DO will be available to check QSL cards towards VUCC,
WAS or 5BWAS. Make sure you have your lists and cards sorted in the
same order as the list. Have your application filled out.

[ANS thanks the 2018 Symposium Committee for the above information]

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
|   AMSAT and ARISS are currently supporting a FundRazr campaign  |
|  to raise $150,000 for critical radio infrastructure upgrades   |
|  on ISS. The upgrades are necessary to enable students to       |
|  continue to talk to astronauts in space via Amateur Radio.     |
|   We have reached a great milestone with $10,000 raised         |
|  or about 7% towards our goal. This would not have been         |
|       possible without your outstanding generosity!!            |
| |
|        For more information and to DONATE TODAY visit:          |
| |
| https://fundrazr.com/arissnextgen?ref=ab_e7Htwa_ab_47IcJ9    |
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

October 23 Webinar for ARISS School Contact Proposal Teams

The Amateur Radio on the International Space Station (ARISS) program
is seeking proposals beginning October 1, 2018, from US schools, mus-
eums, science centers and community youth organizations (working indi-
vidually or together) to host radio contacts with an orbiting crew mem-
ber aboard the International Space Station (ISS) between July 1 and
December 31, 2019.

The proposal deadline is November 30, 2018. For proposal guidelines
and forms and more details, go to:
http://www.ariss.org/hosting-an-ariss-contact-in-the-us.html

The final Proposal webinars for guidance and getting questions answered
will be offered October 23, 2018, at 8 pm Eastern Time. Advance regist-
ration is necessary. To sign up, go to
http://tinyurl.com/ANS-273-ARISSWebinar

[ANS thanks ARISS for the above information]

AO-7 to Enter Full Illumination Period October 18

On or about October 18th, AO-7 will enter a period of full illumi-
nation that will last until approximately November 19th. During this
time, the satellite's onboard timer should switch it between Mode A
(145 MHz uplink / 29 MHz downlink) and Mode B (432 MHz uplink / 145
MHz downlink) every 24 hours.

To check or report the satellite's current mode, please see the
AMSAT Live OSCAR Satellite Status Page at:
https://www.amsat.org/status/

Reporting observations during the first few days of the full
illumination period will be helpful for determining the approximate
time of the daily mode change.

Historical information on AO-7's systems, including the functioning
of the 24 hour timer, and operational plans can be found in the
AMSAT-OSCAR 7 Technical Operations Plan And Experimenter's Guide,
available at: http://tinyurl.com/ANS-287-AO7-Guide-PDF

Mode V/A (A) Linear Transponder (Non-Inverting):
Uplink:  145.850 – 145.950 MHz SSB/CW
Downlink  29.400 –  29.500 MHz SSB/CW

Mode V/A (A) TLM Beacon:
Downlink 29.5020 MHz CW

Mode U/V (B) Linear Transponder (Inverting):
Uplink:  432.125 – 432.175 MHz SSB/CW
Downlink 145.975 – 145.925 MHz SSB/CW

Mode U/V (B) TLM Beacon:
Downlink 145.975 MHz CW

Mode U TLM Beacon
Downlink 435.100 MHz CW

Additional frequency details are also posted at:
https://www.amsat.org/two-way-satellites/ao-7/

[ANS thanks AMSAT Operations for the above information]

Video - AO-92 L-band Demo by N8HM at Hamvention

John Brier, KG4AKV, has produced a video showing Paul Stoetzer, N8HM,
working AMSAT-OSCAR 92 (Fox-1D) in L/v mode (1267.359 MHz uplink,
145.880 MHz downlink) using AMSAT's club callsign, W3ZM/8, at the
2018 Dayton Hamvention: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSeR9I9O5Gs

Stations contacted:

02:30 WB8RJY
02:50 WB8OTH
03:26 NS3L
04:09 WA4SCA
04:33 KB2M
04:50 KE8FZT
06:47 W9EXP

There are cameos in the background of the video by fellow AMSATers
Marty, N9EAT, Ruth, KM4LAO, and others!

Equipment used was an Alinco DJ-G7T 144/430/1200 MHz handheld trans-
ceiver for the uplink and a Kenwood TH-D74 handheld transceiver to
receive the downlink. The antenna is a Comet CYA-1216E yagi with
holes drilled in the boom to accommodate the three 2 meter Arrow
Antenna elements.

The antenna rotator system behind Paul/in front of the tent is a
commercial system by Portable Rotation:
http://www.portablerotation.com/product/azel-portable-rotor-system/

He was not using it for this demo but it was tracking AO-92 during
that time.

Aside from this L-band demo, Paul used that for all the other AMSAT
satellite demos during Hamvention 2018. He had two Yaesu FT-817
radios on the table and a computer controlling the rotators/antenna.
The antenna attached to it is the Alaskan Arrow II.

[ANS thanks John Brier, KG4AKV, for the above information]

International Space Station Crew Member Fires Up NA1SS to Seek Random
Contacts

Originally posted at http://tinyurl.com/ANS-287-ARRL-NA1SS-Contact
ARRL - 10/09/2018

“Hello, America. This is the International Space Station. Who’s out
there?”

And with that “CQ” of sorts on 145.800 MHz, NASA astronaut Serena
Auñón-Chancellor, M.D., KG5TMT, spent some time at the helm of NA1SS
on October 6 making casual, random contacts — something that’s fairly
rare these days. The ISS was on a pass that took the spacecraft up
along the east coast of the US at the time. In response to a ques-
tion, Auñón-Chancellor, who has been on station since June, told
one caller that she’s been floating the entire time she’s been in
space.

“We float every day. Float to work, float back to sleep. It is
awesome,” she said.

Scott Chapman, K4KDR, of Montpelier, Virginia, edited a clip of
downlink chatter by the 42-year-old flight surgeon and flight
engineer:
https://www.qsl.net/k/k4kdr/files/2018-10-06--1858--ISS-voice.mp3

“During most passes of the ISS where I'm working with the packet
digipeater on 145.825, I also monitor 145.800 just in case there
is any activity on that frequency,” Chapman said in a post to
AMSAT-BB. “For the first time in my personal experience, today
one of the astronauts was randomly calling to see if anybody was
listening. Of course I tried to reply on 145.800 simplex, but
there are a number of possible uplinks, and none of them were
programmed into my radio. They are now! It was a real thrill and,
like so much of this hobby, a learning opportunity.”

Auñón-Chancellor is aboard the ISS as part of the Expedition 56/57
crew. She’ll return to Earth in December.

The Amateur Radio FM voice frequencies for stations in ITU Regions
2 and 3 are 145.800 MHz down and 144.490 MHz up. For stations in
Region 1, the uplink frequency is 145.200 MHz.

[ANS thanks the ARRL for the above information]

Digital Downloads of Past AMSAT Symposium Proceedings Now Available

AMSAT is pleased to announce that AMSAT Symposium Proceedings from
1986-2012 and 2016-2017 are now available as digital downloads from
the AMSAT Store. Bundles from earlier years are priced at $5 each
(1986-1989, 1990-1995, 1996-2000, and 2000-2005). 2006-2012 is priced
at $10. The 2016 and 2017 editions are priced at $10 each.

https://tinyurl.com/ANS280-Proceedings

Each year's edition is a separate PDF file. After checkout, purchasers
will receive an email containing download links for each year they
have purchased. The PDF files are DRM-free, but will be watermarked at
the bottom of each page with the notation that the book has been
purchased from AMSAT and the purchaser's name.

The 2013, 2014, and 2015 editions will be added as soon as possible.
2018 will be available after this year's Symposium has concluded.

[ANS thanks Paul N8HM for the above information]

FUNcube Operational Status Update

Graham Shirville, G3VZV has posted the current status of the AMSAT-UK
FUNcube series of satellites.

FUNcube-1 (AO-73)
-----------------
As you will know, AO73/FUNcube-1 has been in full sunlight for over
one month and has been transmitting continuously high power telemetry
for most of that time. This has now been changed to full time amateur
mode so the transponder is once again available. With the more stable
on board temperatures being experienced, this means that the transpon-
der frequencies are also now more stable. We expect to leave it in this
mode for some weeks so that the team can determine whether or not the
currents flowing from the solar panels are having any noticeable effect
on the spin period.

Uplink:   435.150 - 435.130 MHz CW, LSB
Downlink: 145.950 - 145.970 MHz CW, USB
Beacon:   145.935 MHz 1k2 BPSK

FUNcube-2 (UKube-1)
-------------------
The FUNcube-2 transponder on UKube-1 continues to be in full time
transponder mode. There are occasional breaks in service for a few
seconds when the OBC reboots and the other onboard transmitter sends
its CW beacon.

Uplink:   435.080 - 435.060 MHz CW, LSB
Downlink: 145.930 - 145.950 MHz CW, USB
Beacon:   145.915 MHz 1k2 BPSK

FUNcube-3 (EO-88 Nayif-1)
-------------------------
EO88/Nayif-1 continues to perform nominally with high power telemetry
when in sunlight and amateur mode when in eclipse.

Uplink:   435.045 - 435.015 MHz CW, LSB
Downlink: 145.960 - 145.990 MHz CW, USB
Beacon:   145.940 MHz 1l2 BPSK

With their slightly different orbital characteristics it is useful that
AO73 is now the early bird, EO88 comes over in the mid morning and UKube
provides coverage in the afternoon.

We have been suffering from some network issues in relation to upload-
ing the telemetry from the Dashboards to the Data Warehouse over the
past couple of weeks. Apologies for this, but hopefully everything is
now stable again. ie fingers are still crossed. Thank you for all the
telemetry that you upload.

Like many other teams, we are presently waiting for the next Space-X
launch from Vandenberg which is expected to be carrying a number of new
amateur payloads, These will provide additional transponder and STEM
capabilities for the amateur satellite service. Exciting times ahead.

[ANS thanks Graham Shirville, G3VZV and AMSAT-UK for the above information]

Satellite DX Opportunities

View the latest announcements posted at:
https://www.amsat.org/satellite-info/upcoming-satellite-operations/

Members of the Radio Club de Panama and the GREMPA (an emergency group)
will activate the scout station 3E1JT from Panama between now and October
31. They will also participate during the Jamboree On The Air [JOTA] Oct-
ober 19-21. Activity will be on all bands using SSB including CW and the
Satellites. QSL via HP1ALX.

VY0ERC will once again be active from the Eureka Weather station and the
Eureka Amateur Radio Club [probably the most northerly located amateur
radio club in the world] from Eureka, Nunavut, between October 17 and
November 10. A list of the operating team was not provided. The suggested
bands are 40 and 20 meters, as well as FM satellites (from ER60, EQ79)
using SSB, the Digital modes and very slow CW. Activity will be limited
to his spare time. QSL via M0OXO, OQRS or direct.

[ANS thanks Ohio/Penn DX Bulletin No. 1384 for the above information]

Upcoming Satellite Operations

View the latest satellite operating announcements posted at:
https://www.amsat.org/satellite-info/upcoming-satellite-operations/

+ Kure Beach, NC (FM13) – October 13-19, 2018 (Originally 9/22-28.
   Rescheduled due to Hurricane Florence). Wayne, NM3B, will be oper-
   ating holiday style from Kure Beach, NC, October 13-19. Send QSL
   for confirmation.

+ Viva Las Vegas (DM26) and Bryce Canyon Nat’l Park – October 14-19
   and October 19-22, 2018. RJ, WY7AA and Paula will be in Las Vegas
   DM26, October 14–19, with possible trips to DM25 and DM27 if time
   allows. Next, they will be in Bryce Canyon October 19–22, with a
   possible side trip to DM47/48 gridline. In addition, they will be
   passing through the corner of DM39 on the way there and back. Hope-
   fully, there will be a good satellite pass at those times. Keep an
   eye on RJ’s Twitter feed (@WY7AA) and QRZ page for updates.

+ Huntsville to Switzerland, via Long Island (EM64, EM65, EM66, FN30,
   JN36, JN47) – November 1 – December 7, 2018 Brennan, N4QX, fall
   AMSAT roving plans:
   *   EM64, EM65, and EM66 November 1-3
   *   FN30 November 16-17
   *   JN36 as HB9/N4QX & from 4U1ITU November 28–December 7 as
       work permits
   *   JN47 as HB9/N4QX & HB0/N4QX December 1-2
   For now, FM only. Watch Twitter for pass announcements.
   https://twitter.com/BrennanTPrice.  QSLs *exclusively* via Logbook
   of the World.

+ Bermuda (DXCC NA-005) – November 12-14, 2018
   Tom, N2YTF, will be operating as N2YTF/VP9/P from Bermuda, NA-005
   vacation style Nov. 12, 13, 14; all FM passes (and perhaps a few
   transponder birds). Tom will also be working HF QRP portable from
   the beach. Tom is looking for a 2m ssb tropo path to some US super
   station(s). If interested, contact him directly.

+ Key West, FL (EL94) – November 27 – December 1, 2018
   Tanner, W9TWJ, will be vacationing in Key West, Florida from Novem-
   ber 27 to December 1, 2018. While there, he will work as many FM
   passes as he can (holiday style). Keep an eye on his Twitter feed
   for pass announcements, https://twitter.com/twjones85

+ Barring unforeseen circumstances, Glenn, AA5PK plans to travel to
   south Texas 11-15 November to activate grids EL06, 07, 08, 15, 16,
   17 and 18. He will be on both FM and linear satellites and will
   post which on Twitter @AA5PK and also beacon his position on APRS
   as AA5PK-9. QSOs will be uploaded to LoTW upon his return home.
   Hard copy QSLs available by email request. No SASE needed.
   (Glenn, AA5PK via amsat-bb)

Patrick Stoddard, WD9EWK will be part of a day of satellite oper-
ating from a deck on the RMS Queen Mary, docked at Long Beach in
southern California, on Saturday 15 December 2018.

Operations will be portable, almost like a Field Day, and should
include FM, SSB, and possibly packet. All operations from the Queen
Mary will be as W6RO, the call sign for the wireless room on the
ship operated by the Associated Radio Amateurs of Long Beach.

Depending on staffing in the W6RO wireless room, there may also
be HF activity during the satellite operation.

Satellite QSOs from W6RO will be done in the normal manner, with
an exchange of call signs and grid locators. W6RO is located in
grid DM03.

[ANS thanks Robert Bankston, KE4AL and Patrick Stoddard, WD9EWK
  for the above information]

HamSCI Expanding to the Southern Hemisphere

The South African Radio League (SARL) and AMSAT-SA are taking the
ham radio/citizen scientist concept to the Southern Hemisphere.

The new organization will be known as Amateur Radio Science Citizen
Investigation, or HamSCI SA, and will be based on the successful
HamSCI now operating in the US and the UK.

The HamSCI concept was developed by American scientist-radio amateurs
who study the upper atmosphere and space physics. According to a recent
EE publishers article by Hans van de Groenendaal, ZS6AKV, HamSCI SA
will be a platform for publicizing and promoting projects that advance
scientific research and understanding through Amateur Radio activities,
encourage the development of new technologies to support such research,
and providing educational opportunities for the amateur community and
the general public, with a focus on youth.

[ANS thanks AMSAT SA and the Vk1wia-news Text Edition October 5]

NASA and ESA 2018 Student STEM First Lego League Competition

FIRST LEGO League competition, a global STEM program with an annual
theme that inspires and challenges young engineers and scientists.
STEM activities are grouped by grades: K-4, 4-8, 7-12, 9-12.
See: https://www.firstinspires.org/

In Europe, ESA has teamed up with LEGO Education to provide inspira-
tion, examples and expertise to the teams of children aged 6 to 16 who
are competing for a place in the World Finals in Houston and Detroit,
USA. ESA teachers and students can access their information at:
http://tinyurl.com/ANS-287-ESA-FirstLegoLeague

In the USA, NASA supports unique STEM learning opportunities for students
and teachers to contribute to our work as we continue our legacy through
an unprecedented array of missions - from building the capability to send
humans back to the Moon and beyond, developing cutting-edge technologies,
and studying the Earth's systems. STEM engagement entails all of NASA's
efforts to attract, engage and educate students and support educators and
institutions. Access the NASA pages at:
http://tinyurl.com/ANS-287-NASA-FirstLegoLeague

[ANS thanks First Inspires, NASA, and ESA for the above STEM information]

Satellite Shorts From All Over

+ Dr. T.S. Kelso‏ says that his Celestrak website has been updated to
   include a TLE list of all active satellites. The Keplerian elements
   will update automatically with other TLEs, with link on Current Data
   page which will let you access all active satellites with a single
   download:  https://celestrak.com/NORAD/elements/
   Users who find objects in the Active Satellites list that you know
   aren’t active or ones that you know should be, please let Dr. Kelso
   know at ts.kelso @ celestrak.com. For a definition of “active,” see
   https://celestrak.com/satcat/status.php (@TSKelso via Twitter)

+ Mike Rupprecht, DK3WN, control operator of PSAT NO-84, reports that
   he was able to reenable the 145.825 MHz APRS digipeater on October 9.
   He reported that the battery voltage remained stable. See:
   http://www.dk3wn.info/p/?p=90254

+ DK3WN's Satellite Blog also publishes an active satellite list
   with links to Mike's decoder software at:
   http://www.dk3wn.info/p/?page_id=29535

+ A satellite activation from Svalbard Island may be workable early
   this week. Halvard, LA7XK is on Svalbard Island with a contest
   station, but will also be working the satellites using the call
   JW7XK and possibly JW9DL. He had been active around October 10
   and planned to resume satellite activity on Sunday-Monday October
   14-15 after concluding his contest operation. He will return home
   on Monday. Halvard will have email access in Svalbard:
   hal-erik @ online.no  (via VA3NNA)

+ Mission 64 of the Sally Ride EarthKAM @ Space Camp is open for
   registration. EarthKAM's 64th week-long mission, and the final
   opportunity to participate in 2018, is quickly approaching!
   Mission 64 runs October 23 through October 26. Mission sign up
   is available and code words and orbits will be published by 5 PM
   EST Thursday, October 18. Educators can sign up and get their
   class involved up to the day of the orbit. Requested images should
   be available within 24 hours of the orbit. If you are looking for
   a project to do with the images, look at our activities page for
   some great ideas that incorporate the images. This will be your
   last opportunity to take part in an active payload on the Inter-
   national Space Station until Spring of 2019.

+ Detailed Doppler measurements show that STARS-Me Mother is
   object 43640 (1998-067PQ). STARS-Me Daughter has not yet separated
   from STARS-Me Mother and is not yet transmitting. Unfortunately
   RSP 00 is not transmitting any downlink signals on 145.890 MHz
   (FM voice digitalker, CW, 1k2 AFSK). (Nico, PA0DLO)

+ Tanusha-3 - NORAD CAT ID 43597 has been added to the AMSAT Keplerian
   elements distribution: https://www.amsat.org/tle/current/nasa.all
   N8HM reports that Tanusha-3 has been active when in sunlight. Paul
   heard it loud and clear on a 10.1 degree pass from north of Washing-
   ton DC on 10-6-2018. Tanusha-3 transmits on 437.050 MHz FM with greet-
   ings from students in several languages, including Russian, English,
   Spanish and Chinese.

+ Mineo Wakita, JE9PEL, has made available a table of all amateur
   radio satellites in Word and Spreadsheet formats:
   http://www.ne.jp/asahi/hamradio/je9pel/satslist.htm
   (via JE9PEL)

+ AMSAT-UK is pleased to announce that there will be a demonstration
   ground station at the Space Colloquium October 12-14. They will be
   using the equipment provided to schools for ARISS contacts in the UK.
   The callsign will be GB0AUK and will be operational, as time permits.
   AMSAT-UK will be streaming a ‘Beginners Session’ on Sunday morning
   at 9:30 BST. The webstream of the Colloquium talks will be available
   at https://batc.org.uk/live/ (Dave, G4DPZ)

+ Pete, G0ABI reported a transatlantic contact with Don, KB2YSI, and
   Francis, W2GIO on October 5 via AO-91. Don said on twitter it sounded
   like simplex. AO-91 and to a lesser degree AO-92 have some great
   later afternoon passes (UK time) for the USA and Canada (east coast)
   and most of the time there is no one on them. Quite often there are
   Europeans calling for the “DX”. So please be a “DX” station for us,
   work FM transatlantic we would love to hear you. (Pete, G0ABI)

[ANS thanks everyone for the above information]

/EX

In addition to regular membership, AMSAT offers membership in the
President's Club. Members of the President's Club, as sustaining
donors to AMSAT Project Funds, will be eligible to receive addi-
tional benefits. Application forms are available from the AMSAT
Office.

Primary and secondary school students are eligible for membership
at one-half the standard yearly rate. Post-secondary school students
enrolled in at least half time status shall be eligible for the stu-
dent rate for a maximum of 6 post-secondary years in this status.
Contact Martha at the AMSAT Office for additional student membership
information.

73 and Remember to behave and to help keep amateur radio in space,
This week's ANS Editor,
JoAnne Maenpaa K9JKM
K9JKM at amsat dot org

org