[jamsat-news:3570] [ans] ANS-329 AMSAT News Service Weekly Bulletins

Paul Stoetzer via ANS ans @ amsat.org
2018年 11月 25日 (日) 09:00:31 JST

AMSAT NEWS SERVICE
ANS-329

The AMSAT News Service bulletins are a free, weekly news and infor-
mation service of AMSAT North America, The Radio Amateur Satellite
Corporation. ANS publishes news related to Amateur Radio in Space
including reports on the activities of a worldwide group of Amateur
Radio operators who share an active interest in designing, building,
launching and communicating through analog and digital Amateur Radio
satellites.

The news feed on http://www.amsat.org publishes news of Amateur
Radio in Space as soon as our volunteers can post it.

Please send any amateur satellite news or reports to:
ans-editor at amsat.org.

You can sign up for free e-mail delivery of the AMSAT News Service
Bulletins via the ANS List; to join this list see:

In this edition:

* Fox-1Cliff Launch Scheduled for 28-Nov-2018 at 18:32 UTC
* Robert Bankston, KE4AL, Elected AMSAT Vice-President of User
  Services
* Fox-1Cliff Launch - Your Help is Needed!
* ESA Announces "First Telemetry" Contest for ESEO
* Happy 5th Birthday FUNcube-1
* FCC Dismisses AMSAT's 2004 Petition for Reconsideration
* Upcoming ARISS Contact Schedule
* Satellite Shorts From All Over

SB SAT @ AMSAT $ANS-329.01
ANS-329 AMSAT News Service Weekly Bulletins

AMSAT News Service Bulletin 329.01
 From AMSAT HQ KENSINGTON, MD.
DATE November 25, 2018
To All RADIO AMATEURS
BID: $ANS-329.01

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
               2019 is AMSAT's 50th Anniversary!
  Watch this space for announcements of special events coming in 2019
         Get ready to help celebrate with us at the Hamvention
            Symposium 2019 promises to be a special event
       Stand by for 50th anniversary operating events and awards
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

Fox-1Cliff Launch Scheduled for 28-Nov-2018 at 18:32 UTC

SpaceX has announced that the SSO-A: Smallsat Express mission is
scheduled for launch on November 28, 2018.

The SSO-A mission will carry several amateur radio satellites,
including AMSAT's Fox-1Cliff, FUNcube on ESEO, JY1-SAT, K2SAT,
and ExseedSat.

The launch window opens at 18:31:47 UTC and will extend for approx-
imately 30 minutes each day.

[ANS thanks SpaceX and AMSAT for the above information]

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
        For a limited time, new and rewewing AMSAT members
               will receive a free digital copy of
             "Getting Started with Amateur Satellites"
           Join or renew your AMSAT membership today at
      https://www.amsat.org/product-category/amsat-membership/
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

Robert Bankston, KE4AL, Elected AMSAT Vice-President of User Services

AMSAT President Joe Spier, K6WAO recently forwarded the name of Robert
Bankston, KE4AL of Dothan, AL, to the AMSAT Board of Directors.
Robert, who was this year's AMSAT Symposium Chairman, has an MBA from
Troy University and is a Certified Public Accountant.

On Tuesday, November 20, 2018, Robert was elected by the Board as
Vice-President of User Services. "I want to welcome Robert to the
Executive Team in filling a position that has been vacant for far too
long. Robert has taken on the task of essentially providing the AMSAT
membership with the services that our members expect in the 21st
century. I look forward to working with him." said Joe.

The AMSAT Vice-President of User Services is the team leader for the
AMSAT News Service (ANS), the AMSAT Journal, Dayton Hamvention,
Contests and Awards, AMSAT Ambassadors, AMSAT Nets, AMSAT Website, and
Electronic Communications.

"With the AMSAT Golden Jubilee this next year, the VP, User Services
will be hard work, exciting, and fun!"

[ANS thanks Joe Spier, K6WAO, AMSAT President, for the above
information]

Fox-1Cliff Launch – Your Help is Needed!

*** Please share this information through all of your club and group
news outlets! ***

Following the successful launch and deployment of Fox-1Cliff, all
amateur radio satellite enthusiasts can play an important part in the
commissioning of the new satellite. Telemetry helps us tremendously,
starting ASAP after startup (~59 minutes after deployment*) and for
the next 72-96 hours at least (for the life of the satellite is
preferred!) as we look for successful startup, watch the general
health and function as the satellite begins to acclimate to space,
and start to perform the on orbit checkout. The first station to
successfully receive and submit telemetry to the AMSAT server will
receive a special 3D printed QSL card acknowledging their
contribution.

If you are capturing telemetry with FoxTelem, please be sure that
“Upload to Server” is checked in your settings and your Ground
Station Params are filled in as well. You can help AMSAT and everyone
waiting to get on the air with Fox-1Cliff tremendously, by capturing
Fox-1Cliff telemetry.

In the initial Safe Mode after startup, which we actually call Beacon
Mode, the transmitter is limited to 10 seconds on time then does the
two minutes off cycle. For those of you capturing telemetry, that
means that you will only see Current frames and no High or Low frames
because the High and Low are truncated as it takes just over 10
seconds to send two frames. You will hear Veronica announcing
“Fox-1Cliff Safe Mode” while in Beacon Mode.

We will likely leave the satellite in Beacon Mode for 24 hours to
observe power telemetry. If we are seeing good readings from what you
gather, when it comes over the U.S. for the first good pass after
that holding period we will command it from Beacon Mode to normal
Safe Mode. That puts Fox-1Cliff in full (still Safe Mode though)
operation and transmits a full two frames of telemetry which is one
Current frame followed by, and alternating each ID cycle, a High or a
Low frame.

We will begin the rest of the in orbit checklist activities at that
time, and it is expected to take 7 to 10 days given the Thanksgiving
holiday.

Help your friends and all of our satellite ham friends get on the air
and have fun sooner by being polite and patient!

The in orbit checkout procedure is similar to Fox-1D and could be
completed in as little as 7 days if we have the cooperation of the
users. It is very important, not to mention just plain good Amateur
Operating Practice, to refrain from using the transponder uplink so
we can do the on orbit tests, including when we turn on transponder
mode for testing. I cannot stress enough, the importance of this
cooperation not just for us but also for all users, simply having a
little patience so we can conduct the tests as quickly and accurately
as possible.

AMSAT will make it broadly known when the tests are complete and the
transponder is available for all to use. If you hear someone on the
transponder, please do not assume that it is open for general use –
check our website, Facebook, Twitter, to be sure you are not
accidentally jumping in with and unwittingly causing interference as
well.

Many hams put thousands of volunteer hours of their time into making
Fox-1Cliff happen. Just like any ham radio project you might
undertake, we build satellites. We do it because we like to, and when
we are done, we freely share our project with hams everywhere as is
the spirit of amateur radio. I have to say though, that the incidents
we have experienced in the past with stations intentionally
disregarding the command stations requests to keep the frequency
clear during testing not only delays the commissioning, but also
negatively impacts the enthusiasm that our volunteers feel toward
handing over a new bird to the members and users as soon as possible.

I am asking all satellite hams to contribute just a little bit of
your time to the fun now, by being patient and just gathering
telemetry, not using the transponder uplink, and helping us complete
the last few days of getting Fox-1Cliff in orbit and operating for
all of you.

Thank you very much, see you on the bird!

Jerry Buxton,  N0JY
(AMSAT VP Engineering)

*Time of deployment will be made generally available through AMSAT as
soon as Spaceflight provides the information to us.

[ANS thanks Jerry Buxton, N0JY, AMSAT Vice President-Engineering for
the above information]

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
           Purchase AMSAT Gear on our Zazzle storefront.
           25% of the purchase price of each product goes
             towards Keeping Amateur Radio in Space
               https://www.zazzle.com/amsat_gear
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

ESA Announces "First Telemetry" Contest for ESEO

To celebrate the launch of the European Student Earth Orbiter (ESEO),
ESA's Education Office challenges the amateur radio community to
listen out to be first to hear the new spacecraft orbiting Earth.

ESEO is currently due to be launched from Vandenberg Air Force Base,
as part of the SSO-A launch; spacecraft separation and activation
is scheduled at about 2 hours 13 minutes after launch.

About two minutes after being deployed into its final orbit, ESEO
will begin transmitting with its beacon signals to Earth that can
be picked up by anyone with common amateur radio equipment. ESA
challenges anyone to send to  eseo @ esa.int  the recording of the
signal of the 437.00 MHz signal received from ESEO during its pass
in visibility of their ground station.

For one week after the ESEO launch, the first email coming from each
continent (America, Africa, Europe, Asia, Oceania, Antartica), sent
by radio-amateurs who recorded the signals received from ESEO, for
which the signal recorded is confirmed to belong to ESEO, will be
awarded an official ESA Education shirt of the ESEO mission.

More information about ESEO can be found here:
https://tinyurl.com/ANS-329-ESEO1

ESEO UHF Beacon Information:
Frequency: 437.00 MHz
Transmission Format:
https://tinyurl.com/ANS-329-ESEO2
Modulation Format: GFSK
Beacon schedule:
+ Every 1 minute when in safe mode and just after deployment
  during the de-tumbling phase
+ Every 1 minutes when in sunlight
+ Every 5 minutes when in eclipse
Telemetry equations are documented at:
https://tinyurl.com/ANS-329-ESEO3

What your email should contain:
+ An IQ recording in a recognised format
+ Your Name
+ Your Callsign (if any!)
+ Snailmail address for delivery of your polo shirt
+ Reception time of the beacon
+ Details of any telemetry decoded
+ Your Location
+ A few lines about your equipment

Access the full press release at:
https://tinyurl.com/ANS-329-ESEO4

[ANS thanks the European Space Agency for the above information]

Happy 5th Birthday FUNcube-1

Five years ago, on November 21, 2013, FUNcube-1 launched into space.
Soon, we hope to welcome ESEO (FUNcube-4) and JY1SAT (FUNcube-6) into
space. A remarkable achievement by the radio amateur volunteers of
AMSAT-UK and AMSAT-NL.

See https://amsat-uk.org/2018/11/21/happy-5th-birthday-funcube-1/ for
more information.

[ANS thanks AMSAT-UK for the above information]

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
   AMSAT and ARISS are currently supporting a FundRazr campaign
   to raise $150,000 for critical radio infrastructure upgrades
   on ISS. The upgrades are necessary to enable students to
   continue to talk to astronauts in space via Amateur Radio.
    We have reached a great milestone with $15,645 raised
   or about 10% towards our goal. This would not have been
        possible without your outstanding generosity!!

         For more information and to DONATE TODAY visit:

    https://fundrazr.com/arissnextgen?ref=ab_e7Htwa_ab_47IcJ9
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

FCC Dismisses AMSAT's 2004 Petition for Reconsideration

On November 15, 2018, the Federal Communications Commission approved
a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking and Order on Reconsideration
regarding mitigation of orbital debris. In the Order on Reconsider-
ation, the Commission dismissed AMSAT's 2004 Petition for Reconsider-
ation of the Commission's 2004 orbital debris regulations as applied
to amateur satellites.

AMSAT released a statement on the Notice of Proposed Rulemaking and
dismissal of the Petition for Reconsideration:

"For nearly 60 years, amateur radio hobbyists, experimenters, and
researchers from AMSAT, other amateur radio organizations, and
universities worldwide have pioneered numerous satellite tech-
nologies, including inter-satellite communication links, search-and-
rescue satellite systems (SARSAT), reception of GPS signals at
altitudes above the GPS constellation, and the use of commercial
off-the-shelf components in space while accomplishing this with
smaller and smaller satellites. We look forward to working with the
FCC to craft a regulatory framework that addresses the growing
concerns regarding orbital debris while preserving the flexibility for
hobbyists, experimenters, and researchers to access a variety of
orbits."

The full text of the FCC's Notice of Proposed Rulemaking and Order
on Reconsideration can be found at
https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/FCC-18-159A1.pdf

[ANS thanks AMSAT for the above information]

Upcoming ARISS Contact Schedule

IMP Aerospace & Defence, Goffs, NS, Canada, telebridge via IK1SLD

The ISS callsign is presently scheduled to be OR4ISS
The scheduled astronaut is Serena Aunon-Chancellor KG5TMT
Contact was successful: Sat 2018-11-24 19:05:09 UTC 50 deg (***)

Ecole Primaire Jean Jaurès et Arnaud, Troyes, France, telebridge via
IK1SLD

The ISS callsign is presently scheduled to be OR4ISS
The scheduled astronaut is Serena Aunon-Chancellor KG5TMT
Contact is go for: Tue 2018-11-27 16:28:57 UTC 34 deg

If you are interested in applying for an ARISS contact, please go to
http://www.ariss.org/apply-to-host-an-ariss-contact.html

[ANS thanks ARISS for the above information]

Satellite Shorts From All Over

+ Randy, K7AGE has released a video of the November 2018 AMSAT
  Symposium in Huntsville Al. The video highlights are at :
  https://youtu.be/bS3Y12dyyD0
  (K7AGE on Twitter)

+ James WX4TV wrote, "Watch the DX Clusters for N4P." This will be
  for the Dry Tortugas National Park DXpedition that we are doing
  from December 14-17. They will be on 80m, 40m, 20m, 17m, and the FM
  satellites. (WX4TV via Facebook)

+ John, N7AME, will be in Hawaii December 3 - 14 and will on
  two islands, Oahu and Maui. He hopes to rove  BL01, BL10 and
  BL11. The Hawaiian Islands appear to have ten (10) different
  grids and he hopes he could work all of them. Contacts are
  planned to be worked on AO91 and AO92.
  (John N7AME johnv at frontier.com)

+ The C. A. Muller Radio Astronomy Station (PI9CAM) has posted an
  article about photographing the far side of the moon with the
  LO-94 amateur radio satellite.
  https://tinyurl.com/ANS-329-PI9CAM
  (PI9CAM)

[ANS thanks everyone for the above information]

/EX

In addition to regular membership, AMSAT offers membership in the
President's Club. Members of the President's Club, as sustaining
donors to AMSAT Project Funds, will be eligible to receive addi-
tional benefits. Application forms are available from the AMSAT
Office.

Primary and secondary school students are eligible for membership
at one-half the standard yearly rate. Post-secondary school students
enrolled in at least half time status shall be eligible for the stu-
dent rate for a maximum of 6 post-secondary years in this status.
Contact Martha at the AMSAT Office for additional student membership
information.

73 and remember to do your part to help Keep Amateur Radio In Space,

This week's ANS Editor,

Paul Stoetzer, N8HM
N8HM at amsat.org