[jamsat-news:3518] [ans] ANS-175 AMSAT News Service Weekly Bulletins

E.Mike McCardel via ANS ans @ amsat.org
2018年 6月 24日 (日) 08:45:53 JST

AMSAT NEWS SERVICE
ANS-175

The AMSAT News Service bulletins are a free, weekly news and infor-
mation service of AMSAT North America, The Radio Amateur Satellite
Corporation. ANS publishes news related to Amateur Radio in Space
including reports on the activities of a worldwide group of Amateur
Radio operators who share an active interest in designing, building,
launching and communicating through analog and digital Amateur Radio
satellites.

The news feed on http://www.amsat.org publishes news of Amateur
Radio in Space as soon as our volunteers can post it.

Please send any amateur satellite news or reports to:
ans-editor at amsat.org.

In this edition:

* AMSAT-NA President to attend AMSAT-UK Colloquium 2018
* AMSAT-UK Colloquium 2018 Second call for Speakers
* AMSAT-UK Colloquium 2018 Speakers (to date)
* K4R EL84 Grid Expedition - July 6-8
* South Africa Symposium Papers Posted
* Call for Field Day Stories, Pictures
* Call for Volunteers, ANS Seeks Rotating Editors
* ARISS News
* Satellite Shorts From All Over

SB SAT @ AMSAT $ANS-175.01
ANS-175 AMSAT News Service Weekly Bulletins

AMSAT News Service Bulletin 175.01
>From AMSAT HQ KENSINGTON, MD.
June 24, 2018
To All RADIO AMATEURS
BID: $ANS-175.01

AMSAT-NA President to attend AMSAT-UK Colloquium 2018

AMSAT-UK is very happy to announce that the dates of the next
AMSAT-UK Colloquium will be October 13-14, 2018.

The AMSAT-UK Colloquium, incorporated into the RSGB Convention,
will take place  at the Kents Hill Park Conference Centre,
Timbold Drive, Milton Keynes, MK7 6BZ.

The AMSAT-UK Committee are pleased to announce that Joe Spier,
K6WAO will be presenting a paper entitled '50 Years of AMSAT and
Beyond'

AMSAT-UK invites speakers, to cover topics about Amateur satellites,
CubeSats, Nanosats, Space, High Altitude Balloons and associated
activities, for this event. Those wishing to speak should contact
Dave, G4DPZ, dave at g4dpz dot me dot uk

AMSAT-UK Colloquium web page:
https://amsat-uk.org/colloquium/

[ANS thanks AMSAT-UK for the above information]

AMSAT-UK Colloquium 2018 Second call for Speakers

This is the second call for speakers for the AMSAT-UK International
Space Colloquium 2018 which will be held on Saturday and Sunday,
October 13-14 at the Kents Hill Park Conference Centre, Timbold
Drive, Milton Keynes, MK7 6BZ, United Kingdom.

AMSAT-UK invites speakers, to cover topics about Amateur satellites,
CubeSats, Nanosats, Space, High Altitude Balloons and associated
activities, for this event.

Those wishing to speak should contact Dave, G4DPZ:
dave at g4dpz dot me dot uk

Further information https://amsat-uk.org/colloquium

[ANS thanks Dave G4DPZ for the above information]

AMSAT-UK Colloquium 2018 Speakers (to date)

On behalf of the AMSAT-UK Committee I am pleased to announce the
list of speakers who have volunteered to present papers at the event
(https://amsat-uk.org/colloquium/ <https://amsat-uk.org/colloquium/>)

Dr, Chris Bridges, M0IEB (and students), Surrey Space Centre: "ESA
ESEO Payloads"

Matthew Cosby, Chief Scientist, Goonhilly Earth Station Ltd:
"Goonhilly : Developing a global deep space communications network"
The FUNcube Team: "JY1Sat , FUNcube Next"

Peter Guelzow, DB2OS, AMSAT-DL: "Es'hail-2 and it's amateur radio
payload"

David Johnson, G4DPZ & Carlos Eavis, G3VHF: "An introduction to
Amateur Satellites"

Naomi Kurahara, Chief Exec, Infostellar JP: "Distributed
Grounstations (StellarStation)"

Ciaran Morgan, M0XTD, ARISS-UK (and school pupil): ARISS / STEM
Outreach

Prof. David Southwood, Imperial College London
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_College_London: "Cassini-
Huygens: Odyssey to Saturn and Titan"

Joe Spier, K6WAO, President, AMSAT-NA: "50 Years of AMSAT and Beyond"
Iain Young, G7III: "Automated reception of FUNcube and Fox Telemetry"

Details of when they will be presenting during the event will be
published in the near future.

(We still have 3 slots available if you want to volunteer a
presentation. See above announcement)

In addition to the presentations, the ARISS-UK team will be
assembling a demonstration ground station with the same configuration
as that used in schools contacts.

[ANS thanks Dave, G4DPZ for the above information]

K4R EL84 Grid Expedition - July 6-8

Between July 6-8, 2018, NJ4Y, N4ESS, and KE4AL will venture to
Fort Jefferson on Garden Key, in the Dry Tortugas island chain.
Their main purpose for the trip is to activate EL84, one of the
maidenhead grids with the least land area of any in the CONUS,
on satellites and 6m.

The team wrote, "We are scheduled to arrive around 11am (1500z)
on July 6th, and stay through 3pm (1900z) on the 8th.

"Two complete satellite stations are planned, with capabilities
on all current amateur satellites. Emphasis will be especially
on the larger footprints of AO-7 and FO-29, but we will work as
many passes as possible during our time on the island. With two
experienced satellite operators who have activating nearly 80
combined grids on satellites in 15 different states, we think
we've got a pretty good chance of success in getting EL84 in
the logs of anyone who needs it! This includes Europe and South
America - if you are in the outer reaches of the footprint between
EL84np and your location, let them know ahead of the trip so they
can plan some possible low elevation pass skeds!

"The 6m station will consist of a 2 element 6m beam at ~20 feet,
an FT-857 100w transmitter, and capabilities on SSB, CW, and digi
modes, emphasizing the JT suite - FT8, JT65, and possibly some
MSK144 if conditions allow. We will be there in peak E skip season,
so keep your fingers crossed for some great band openings!

"We will also operate on HF as time, band conditions, and battery
power allow. This is secondary to the 6m and satellite ops, with
no hard planned schedule, so keep your eye on the dx cluster
for K4R if you need EL84 for the ARRL international grid chase.
As on 6m, we will have capabilities on CW, SSB, and digi.

"We will be communicating largely via twitter.com/K4R_EL84 while
on the island, using a Garmin InReach messenger to post informa-
tion about frequencies, modes, and pass schedules. This is an
open, public twitter page, so you can view it even if you don't
have a twitter account. If you do have an account, be sure and
follow us before the trip so you can stay up to date! We are
also working out details on a pilot station who can relay sked
requests and information to us via the satellite messenger -
stay tuned here for more details on that as the trip approaches.

"All logs will be uploaded to LOTW as soon as possible after the
trip. Cards will also be available upon request."

Visit the team's web page http://k4r2018.com/ for their latest
information.

[ANS thanks the K4R Dry Tortugas Expedition for the above information]

South Africa Symposium Papers Posted

Papers from the South Africa AMSAT Symposium have been posted at:
http://www.amsatsa.org.za/Space%20Symp2018.htm

Find more news about AMSAT South Africa news on their homepage at:
http://www.amsatsa.org.za/

[ANS thanks AMSAT SA for the above information]

Call for Field Day Stories, Pictures

The AMSAT Journal is looking to publish interesting, unusual or
humorous stories about the upcoming AMSAT Field Day event. Please
send your experience with photos, if applicable, to
journal at amsat dot org.

[ANS thanks Joe KB6IGK for the above information]

Call for Volunteers, ANS Seeks Rotating Editors

The AMSAT News Service (ANS) is seeking volunteers to serve as
rotating editors for its weekly newsletter.

Editors work on a rotating schedule, each taking a different turn
editing a specific week's newsletter as scheduled by the ANS Editor
in Chief. Editors support each other by seeking and reporting to the
Editor of the week, information and resources of interest to the
AMSAT community. The number of newsletters assigned will be dependent
upon the number of available editors at any given time. The average
editor can expect to spend, on average, 4-5 hours for each newsletter,
dependent on available material. Prospective editors are required to
be AMSAT members in good standing and have a genuine interest in
satellite operation and an understanding of AMSAT's mission. Former
editing experience is a plus but not required.

If interested, please submit an inquiry, including your contact
information to ans-editor @ amsat.com.

[ANS thanks the ANS editors for the above information]

ARISS News

Recent Successful ARISS Contacts

+ 2018-06-19 14:20 UTC between Ricky Arnold KE5DAU (Exp 55), using
  ISS callsign OR4ISS, and Tehnicka škola Zajecar, Zajecar, Serbia.
  Contact was direct via YU1ACR. ARISS Mentor was Marko 9A8MM.

Quick list of scheduled contacts and events:

Werner-Heisenberg-Gymnasium, Leverkusen, Germany, direct via DLØIL
and Schickhardt-Gymnasium, Herrenberg, Germany, direct via DLØSGH
The ISS callsign is presently scheduled to be DPØISS
The scheduled astronaut is Alexander Gerst KF5ONO
Contact is a go for: Wed 2018-06-27 10:32:19 UTC

[ANS thanks ARISS, Charlie AJ9N and David AA4KN for the above
 information]

Satellite Shorts From All Over

+ EN84 activation Monday June 25
  Look for ops AA8CH and WW8W to be active from EN84 on Monday June
  25th.  Tentative plans include XWs in the 1300 hour, and the morning
  (our time) AO92s and the CAS4 passes.  We might try AO07 and FO29 as
  well.  Transmission on linears will be fixed frequency and tuning
  for callers.  Bring your SAT gear to work with you if you need this
  grid.

  Email to AA8CH: aa8ch at aol dot com with any questions.

  QSOs uploaded to LOTW as always.

  [ANS thanks Chris AA8CH for the above information]

+ The next SSTV image downlinks are planned for June 29-July 1.
  These images will commemorate the various satellites that the
  ARISS team has developed and hand-deployed from the ISS.  These will
  include the first satellite deployment from ISS:
  SuitSat-1/Radioskaf-1 which was deployed in February 2006.

  More details on this will be forthcoming as the date draws near.

  [ANS thanks Sergey Samburov, RV3DR for the above information]

+ The ANS Editors would like to thank and congratulate Lee McLamb
  KT4TZ for editing his 200th AMSAT News Service Bulletin when he
  published ANS 119 on April 19, 2018. He has subsequently published
  two more since then.

  [ANS thanks EMike AA8EM for the above information]

/EX

In addition to regular membership, AMSAT offers membership in the
President's Club. Members of the President's Club, as sustaining
donors to AMSAT Project Funds, will be eligible to receive addi-
tional benefits. Application forms are available from the AMSAT
Office.

Primary and secondary school students are eligible for membership
at one-half the standard yearly rate. Post-secondary school students
enrolled in at least half time status shall be eligible for the stu-
dent rate for a maximum of 6 post-secondary years in this status.
Contact Martha at the AMSAT Office for additional student membership
information.

73,
This week's ANS Editor,
EMike McCardel, AA8EM