[jamsat-news:3336] [ans] ANS-361 AMSAT News Service Weekly Bulletins

Lee McLamb ku4os @ cfl.rr.com
2015年 12月 27日 (日) 10:14:29 JST

AMSAT NEWS SERVICE
ANS-361

The AMSAT News Service bulletins are a free, weekly news and infor-
mation service of AMSAT North America, The Radio Amateur Satellite
Corporation. ANS publishes news related to Amateur Radio in Space
including reports on the activities of a worldwide group of Amateur
Radio operators who share an active interest in designing, building,
launching and communicating through analog and digital Amateur Radio
satellites.

The news feed on http://www.amsat.org publishes news of Amateur
Radio in Space as soon as our volunteers can post it.

Please send any amateur satellite news or reports to:
ans-editor at amsat.org.

In this edition:

* Fox-1Cliff and -1D Matching Contribution Offer
* AMSAT SKN on OSCAR 2016 This Week
* ARISS Celebrates 15 Years of School Contact
* AMSAT Awards
* EO-79 Transponder Activation
* NASA Commercial Crew Program 2016 Children's Artwork Calendar

SB SAT @ AMSAT $ANS-361.01
ANS-340 AMSAT News Service Weekly Bulletins

AMSAT News Service Bulletin 361.01
  From AMSAT HQ Kensington, MD.
December 27, 2015
To All RADIO AMATEURS
BID: $ANS-361.01

Fox-1Cliff and -1D Matching Contribution Offer

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to AMSAT members and satellite
enthusiasts
everywhere!

In this season of giving, we’ve had a generous offer for matching funds
up to
$1,000 for those that contribute to the Fox-1Cliff and -1D crowdsourcing
campaign at https://fundrazr.com/campaigns/6pz92/ab/561Zd between now and
December 31st. Make your donation twice as valuable by taking advantage
of this
opportunity and contributing before the end of the year, and help AMSAT
fund the
launch of the next two satellites in the Fox-1 series.

Slated for launch in 2016 on the inaugural Spaceflight SHERPA mission
aboard a
SpaceX Falcon 9, Fox-1Cliff and -1D carry university experiments from
Pennsylvania State-Erie, Vanderbilt, University of Iowa, cameras provided by
Virginia Tech, as well as amateur radio voice repeaters capable of U/V
or L/V
operation.

Donations of $100 or more are eligible for a special AMSAT Fox challenge
coin,
and $1,000 or more qualifies for a plaque with an actual solar panel
cover from
Fox-1Cliff or -1D. (We’ve nearly exhausted our coin supply and are
waiting on
resupply from the mint. Plaques will be distributed sometime after
spacecraft
integration. Please be patient for delivery of either premium.)

AMSAT is a 501-(c)-(3) not-for-profit educational and scientific
organization of
amateur radio operators whose purpose is to design, construct, launch, and
operate satellites in space and to provide the support needed to encourage
amateurs to utilize these resources.  Please consider a tax-deductible
contribution to AMSAT to help underwrite the development and launch
expenses of
our Fox  satellite program.

Donors wishing to provide additional matching funds please contact Drew
Glasbrenner, KO4MA at ko4ma @ amsat.org.

[ANS thanks Drew, KO4MA, for the above information]

Operate CW through any amateur satellite from 0001 through 2400 UTC on 1
January
2016, using a manual, non-electronic key.  Note that bugs are now
allowed, as
they are in similar ARRL and SKCC events.

There is no need to send in a log, but please nominate someone you
worked for
Best Fist.  Your nominee need not have the best fist of those you heard,
just of
those you worked.  Send your nomination to w2rs @ amsat.org..  A list of those
nominated will be published in early February.

This year’s event is being held in memory of Ben Stevenson, W2BXA
(1914-2011).
Licensed since 1929, Ben was one of the world’s top DXers on both HF and
satellites.  He led the DXCC Honor Roll for many years, and among his many
awards were Satellite DXCC No. 1 and post-war Worked All Zones No. 1.
Founding
president of the North Jersey DX Association, Ben shared his knowledge and
enthusiasm with one and all.

[ANS thanks Ray, W2RS, for the above information]

ARISS Celebrates 15 Years of School Contacts

15 years ago today, on December 21, 2000, students at Burbank School in
Burbank Illinois, U.S.A. lined us and readied themselves for a very historic
event---the first school contact with the crew on the International Space
Station.  ARISS mentor and radio operator Charlie Sufana, AJ9N and his team
of volunteers had aptly prepared the students, teachers and the public in
attendance for their historic contact.  As AOS approached, Charlie began
calling NA1SS.  Soon, Expedition 1 Commander Bill "Shep" Shepherd, KD5CDL
answered back and the students immediately began asking Shep their
questions.  The rest is history.

Burbank school teacher, Rita Wright, who later became KC9CDL, continues to
be active in ARISS as a volunteer.  Rita's 2004 AMSAT Symposium paper,
"Remember, We're Pioneers!" chronicles the Burbank school's journey to the
first ARISS contact and beyond.  You are invited to download the paper at
https://www.dropbox.com/s/q8cmd0eu9y0imsz/REMEMBER--Burbank%20School.pdf?dl=0

With this historic event in mind, I would like to take this opportunity to
thank our volunteers from the ARISS operations team for their outstanding,
long term support to ARISS.  These folks---our mentors, telebridge operators
and operations leaders---are the foundation of ARISS.   They have made
nearly 1000 ARISS contacts successful since Burbank, 15 years ago. Without
them, the goals of ARISS: inspiration, exploration, education and
experimentation, could not be achieved.  Their guidance, mentoring and
presentations, before, during and after the contact were crucial in
achieving these goals.  Thank you all!!

As the ARISS team prepares for 2016, with many schools in the queue,
prepared, ready and waiting for their upcoming contacts, ARISS is gearing up
for another historic event---our 1000th school contact.  Wow!  1000 ARISS
contacts!!  To celebrate this historic event, I would ask those that know of
an ARISS student that has graduated and is now in a science, technology,
engineering or mathematics (STEM) field to please have them share their
story with us.  Please pass this along to others and have them send their
stories to me at ka3hdo at verizon.net or to our web master at ariss at
arrl.org.

We would like to compile these for our space agency customers and to share
the stories with the amateur radio community.

[ANS thanks Frank, KA3HDO, for the above information]

AMSAT Awards

Here are our newest award recipients and end of the year finale.
Happy Holidays and Good DX to all

AMSAT Satellite Communicators Award
Adrian Liggins, VA3NNA
John Pate, W1XQ
Mission Bay ARC, KM3RKI
Jim Leahy, N0VVV

------
AMSAT Communication Achievement Award

Fernando Ramirez-Ferrer, NP4JV #568

------
AMSAT Sexagesimal Award

Clayton Coleman, W5PFG #172

------
AMSAT Robert W. Barbee Jr., W4AMI Award
Frank Westphal, K6FW #84   1,000 contacts
John Papay, K8YSE/7 #85   1,000 contacts

------
AMSAT South Africa Communication Achievement Award
Fernando Ramirez-Ferrer, NP4JV #US196

To see all the awards visit http://www.amsat.org or
http://www.amsatnet.com/awards.html

Bruce Paige, KK5DO
AMSAT Director Contests and Awards

[ANS thanks Bruce, KK5DO, for the above information]

EO-79 Transponder Activation

On December 21, 2015 at 1038 UT, the EO-79 transponder was turned on for a
prolonged period.

The FUNcube transponder subsystem on QB50p1 (EO-79) had been provided by
AMSAT-
UK and AMSAT-NL and is a similar subsystem as on FUNcube-1, but without the
telemetry downlink circuitry.

The current software running on EO-79 does experience occasional
reboots. When
these reboots happen, the transponder is automatically turned off and
will have
to be turned back on by a command station. The FUNcube team has selected
a few
command stations to do so, but be advised the transponder may be off.

TLEs:
AMSAT keps name: EO-79
Celestrak keps Name: QB50P1
Celestrak file: cubesat.txt
NORAD #    40025
COSPAR designator    2014-033-R

Frequencies:
*Uplink:* 435.035-435.065 MHz LSB [See note below]
*Downlink:* 145.935-145.965 MHz USB

EO-79 has been set to only beacon the normal AX.25 beacon every 30 seconds
instead of 10 seconds. The beacon frequency is 145.815 MHz and consists
of AX.25
frames on BPSK. More details about the downlink can be found on the ISIS Ham
Radio page at http://isispace.nl/HAM/qb50p.html

We kindly request you to share your experiences with the AMSAT Bulletin
Board so
everyone can benefit from operating tips and tricks, as well as being
up-to-date
on the status.

We would also welcome any observation related to the transponder
behaviour when
the AX.25 beacon comes on.

Just like FUNcube-1, the crystal oscillator circuits exhibit drift with
temperature. This means manual tuning will probably work best.

Mike Seguin N1JEZ notes:  I found my downlink after setting my uplink
+12 kHz
from published spec

SatPC32 tracking software Doppler SQF information used by Peter VK4NBL:
EO-79,145950,435063,USB,LSB,REV,0,0
EO-79,145814.8,435070,CW,TELEMETRY,0,0

Lastly, the commanding team will not be available over Christmas, so the
current
activations are planned from today until Thursday 24th and from Monday 28th
until Thursday 31st

[ANS thanks Wouter, PA3WEG, and AMSAT-UK for the above information]

NASA Commercial Crew Program 2016 Children's Artwork Calendar

Some of the best works of art come from children who are only limited by
their imaginations, like the more than 150 young explorers from across the
country who submitted artwork depicting human spaceflight as they see it.
Sixteen masterpieces were chosen to be included in the NASA Commercial Crew
Program 2016 Children's Artwork Calendar, which is now available for
download in PDF format, at http://go.nasa.gov/1NVTww4. We offer a huge
"thank you!" to all the explorers, ranging in age from four to 12, who
submitted their work and hope that everyone will enjoy and use this calendar
next year.

[ANS thanks the NASA Commercial Crew Program for the above information]

/EX

In addition to regular membership, AMSAT offers membership in the
President's Club. Members of the President's Club, as sustaining
donors to AMSAT Project Funds, will be eligible to receive addi-
tional benefits. Application forms are available from the AMSAT
Office.

Primary and secondary school students are eligible for membership
at one-half the standard yearly rate. Post-secondary school students
enrolled in at least half time status shall be eligible for the stu-
dent rate for a maximum of 6 post-secondary years in this status.
Contact Martha at the AMSAT Office for additional student membership
information.

73,
This week's ANS Editor,
Lee McLamb, KU4OS