[jamsat-news:3237] [ans] ANS-250 AMSAT News Service Weekly Bulletins

E.Mike McCardel mccardelm @ gmail.com
2014年 9月 7日 (日) 11:50:44 JST

AMSAT NEWS SERVICE
ANS-250

The AMSAT News Service bulletins are a free, weekly news and infor-
mation service of AMSAT North America, The Radio Amateur Satellite
Corporation. ANS publishes news related to Amateur Radio in Space
including reports on the activities of a worldwide group of Amateur
Radio operators who share an active interest in designing, building,
launching and communicating through analog and digital Amateur Radio
satellites.

The news feed on http://www.amsat.org publishes news of Amateur
Radio in Space as soon as our volunteers can post it.

Please send any amateur satellite news or reports to:
ans-editor at amsat.org.

In this edition:

* ISS Antenna Constructed by AMSAT Key Factor in Sea Rescue
* SSTV Active on ISS
* BOD Ballots Must be Recieved by September 15
* Deadlines Approaching for the 2014 AMSAT-NA Symposium
* AMSAT AWARDS Update
* Submit Messages for Asteroid Mission Time Capsule
* AMSAT Symposium Auction
* Western States Satellite DXpedition on the Road Now
* ARTSAT1: INVADER (CO-77) Decays
* ARISS News
* Satellite Shorts From All Over

SB SAT @ AMSAT $ANS-250.01
ANS-250 AMSAT News Service Weekly Bulletins

AMSAT News Service Bulletin 250.01
>From AMSAT HQ KENSINGTON, MD.
DATE September 7, 2014
To All RADIO AMATEURS
BID: $ANS-250.01

ISS Antenna Constructed by AMSAT Key Factor in Sea Rescue

Since 2010, the International Space Station has been equipped with a
space-based Vessel ID System receiver that allows it to track ships
at sea by way of a ship's Automatic Identification System (AIS)
signal. Since then, the system aboard the ISS has been receiving as
many as 400,000 ship position reports from more than 22,000 different
ships every single day.

According to Horst Koenig, retired Head of ESA's ISS System
Engineering Section, "We had very close cooperation with NASA and the
Radio Amateur Satellite Corporation (AMSAT). The AIS antenna was
provided to ESA by AMSAT, along with an additional antenna for the
Amateur Radio on International Space Station (ARISS) group."

This is the story of how this experimental system was used in 2012
to rescue the sole surviving crewmember of a fishing vessel after it
overturned in the North Atlantic during a storm.
http://tinyurl.com/ANS250-gCaptian

More on NASA's Vessel ID System experiment can be found
http://tinyurl.com/ANS250-VesselID

More on the AIS on ISS and Assembling the Experiment can be found at
http://tinyurl.com/ANS250-AISonISS

Congratulations to the ARISS hardware team that was responsible for
the development of the ISS AIS antenna system!

[ANS Thanks gCaptain.com and the European Space Agency for the above
 information]

SSTV Active on ISS

The SSTV downlink from the Russian ARISS radio was active for
several orbits Friday through Saturday. Reports from around the world
were being exchanged on  social media as well as on the AMSAT-BB.
Signals were received on the 145.80 FM downlink frequency in PD 180
mode. Signal reports were strong. There is no word on how long the
SSTV will be active. The APRS digipeater in the Columbus module
continued to be in operation during the SSTV downlinks.

Many pictures have been posted to
http://spaceflightsoftware.com/ARISS_SSTV/index.php

[ANS Thanks AMSAT-BB and Twitter and Facebook for the above
information]

BOD Ballots Must be Recieved by September 15

There is still time to vote but remember that Board of Directors
ballots must be recieved at the AMSAT Office by 15 SEP 2014 in order
to be counted.  Your returned ballot should be sent promptly, and
those from outside North American preferably by air mail or other
expedited means.

Normally there would be 3 full Board seats open this year, plus 2
alternates. However, with the passing of Tony Monteiro, AA2TX (SK),
there will be an additional full Board seat open to fill the
remainder of his term. This means that the top three recipients of
votes will have two-year terms, the fourth most vote recipient
serving as full member for one year.  The fifth and sixth highest
vote recipients will serve as first and second Alternate,
respectively. You may vote for up to 4  individuals.

Election of board members is both an obligation as well as an
opportunity by our membership to help shape the future direction of
AMSAT-NA.  Please take the time to review the candidate statements
that accompany the ballot and determine who you wish to see on the
Board.

[ANS thanks the AMSAT Office for the above information]

Deadlines Approaching for the 2014 AMSAT-NA Symposium

It is only five weeks from the kickoff of this year's AMSAT-NA Space
Symposium, planned for October 10-12 in Baltimore, Maryland, so
please sign up soon!!

AMSAT is holding a block of rooms at a special $99 rate until
September 17th.  After that date, rooms may be available, but at a
significantly higher regular rate.
Details on the Symposium and room
registration may be found at www.amsat.org.

The submission deadline for papers to be included in the conference
proceedings is September 15th.
Details for submission may be found at
http://www.amsat.org/?page_id=1568.

The deadline for orders for the popular 2014 AMSAT Symposium
commemorative shirts to be received is
September 10th.  These shirts must be ordered directly, and will not
be available on the AMSAT Store or at the meeting.  Details and a
downloadable order form may be found at
http://www.amsat.org/?page_id=2928.

We are getting some fantastic items for the auction to be held
during the symposium.  A sampling of items include:  A John Glenn
limited edition commemorative, donated by Marilyn Mix and Dave
Taylor, a Yaesu 757, from the estate of Astronaut Ronald Parise, 2
unbuilt models of the Energia-Buran and Space Station Mir in their
original packaging, donated by Eric Rosenberg, and some Russian
cultural and items and books.  If you have items to donate, please
contact Frank Bauer, KA3HDO at ka3hdo @ verizon.net.  And don't forget
to bring your checkbooks as all proceeds are tax deductible and go to
a great cause!

[ANS thanks the AMSAT Office for the above information]

AMSAT AWARDS Update

AMSAT Director Contests and Awards, Bruce Paige, KK5DO announce
recent AMSAT AWARD Recipients.

The following have entered into the Satellite Communicators Club for
making their first satellite QSO.

Kelly Davis, KC3CGT
David Coutts, VE3KLX
Michael Parrott, N4MEP
Michael Jones, W6GYC
Richard Weil, KW0U

The following have earned their AMSAT Sexagesimal Award.

Paul Stoetzer, N8HM, #166

The following have earned their Robert W. Barbee Jr., W4AMI Award.

Hector Martinez, CO6CBF, #81 (Basic 1,000 plus endorsements through
4,000)
Paul Stoetzer, N8HM, #82

The following have earned their Robert W. Barbee Jr., W4AMI 5,000
Award.

Hector Martinez, CO6CBF, #31

To see all the awards visit http://www.amsat.org or
http://www.amsatnet.com/awards.html

[ANS thanks Bruce, KK5DO, for the above information]

Submit Messages for Asteroid Mission Time Capsule

NASA is inviting the worldwide public to submit short messages and
images on social media that could be placed in a time capsule aboard
a spacecraft launching to an asteroid in 2016.

Called the Origins-Spectral Interpretation-Resource Identification-
Security-Regolith Explorer (OSIRIS-REx), the spacecraft will
rendezvous with the asteroid Bennu in 2019, collect a sample and
return the cache in a capsule to Earth in 2023 for detailed study.
The robotic mission will spend more than two years at the 1,760-foot
(500-meter)-wide asteroid and return a minimum of 2 ounces (60 grams)
of its surface material.

Topics for submissions by the public should be about solar system
exploration in 2014 and predictions for space exploration activities
in 2023. The mission team will choose 50 tweets and 50 images to be
placed in the capsule. Messages can be submitted Sept. 2 - 30. The
time capsule website will give you the instructions on how to
particpate. See:
http://www.asteroidmission.org/timecapsule

When the sample return capsule returns to Earth in 2023 with the
asteroid material, the mission team will open the time capsule to
view the messages and images, at which time the selected submissions
will be posted online.

[ANS thanks NASA and SpaceDaily.com for the above information]

AMSAT Symposium Auction

At this year's AMSAT Space Symposium, we are trying a few new things
and we hope you will enjoy them.  One exciting facet we are adding
this year is an auction.  All proceeds from the auction will support
AMSAT's two major initiatives--the development and launch of the FOX
satellite series and the ARISS program.

As we prepare for the auction, we are asking for your help in
donating specialty items for auction (minimum value $100) that will
attract symposium attendee's attention and get them bidding up the
item price.  If you have any items that are ham related (no boat
anchors please), items of historical value, space related and/or
autographed items, or even sports tickets or time shares, we would
love to get your donations.  Think out of the box on this--what
exciting things would you like to see in this auction?

If you have something to donate to the Symposium auction, please
send an e-mail to Frank Bauer, KA3HDO, who will work with you on
getting your item or items into the auction. Frank's e-mail address
is ka3hdo at verizon dot net

This auction, while adding a fun experience to the AMSAT Space
Symposium experience, will also serve to keep amateur radio's spirit
thriving in space through its donations to FOX and ARISS.

On behalf of AMSAT, I thank you for your donations in advance.  And
I encourage each of you to attend and participate in this year's
AMSAT Space Symposium to be held in Baltimore Maryland Oct 10-12.
For more information, see:
http://www.amsat.org/?page_id=1555

[ANS thanks Frank KA3DHO and Janet Bauer, Symposium Committee Co-
 Chairs, for the above information]

Western States Satellite DXpedition on the Road Now

John, K8YSE, has started on a grid expedition to some Western States.
The grids that he will definitely operate from are: CN93, CN96, DN03,
DN05, DN07, DN14, DN15, DN20, DN21, DN22, DN23, DN48, DN54, DN68,
DN76, DN78, DM38, DM48 and DM49.

John states, "There will be many other grids on the route, but I'll
only operate from them if the situation permits. This is a tent
camping trip, and the weather will play a role in when and if I can
operate. The first grid will be DN54 although there may be one or two
before that depending on the timing."

John will be using an Icom 910H and an Arrow or Elk antenna rather
than the setup in my truck that was used on the Lake Superior
Expedition. Setup time and weather will be a factor. I don't
anticipate operating in darkness although it may be possible at
campsites. I will be using computer control on the linear birds.

We don't have many satellites now and since AO-7 is now switching
between Mode A and B, it will only be available every other day. The
primary birds will be FO-29 and SO-50. There may be some AO-73, but
not likely. If AO-7 is weak, he may operate on CW on that bird only.

John will be track-able on APRS as K8YSE-9 (cellphone 3g/4g) and/or
K8YSE-12, or -12 on RF. He also adds, "Sometime in October I will plan
a short trip over to DM63/64 if anyone needs those grids. And on
January 1st, 2015, I will operate at least one pass from FM13 in the
afternoon."

John doesn't anticipate doing LoTW for this expedition. Cards should
be sent direct to him. If you have many contacts to confirm, a log
excerpt can be sent that he can sign and return to you. Please make
sure you indicate which grid he was in for each QSO. He also plans to
record all passes and log on paper as well. QSOs will be confirmed
sometime in December. To read
John's complete press release, go to:
http://amsat.org/pipermail/amsat-bb/2014-August/050548.html

[ANS thanks John Papays, K8YSE for the above information]

ARTSAT1: INVADER (CO-77) Decays

ARTSAT1: INVADER (CO-77) decayed earlier this week . It was only 186
days since launch. However, we are so glad that many hams listen and
report it.

ARTSAT team is now concentrating the next project, ARTSAT2: DESPATCH
as announced by JI1IZR last night.

We are continuously going to develop our concept and philosophy
through the creation of artworks using the data from INVADER and
launch of next deep-space amateur spacecrafts, DESPATCH. We would be
grateful for your continued cooperation.

[ANS thanks Akihiro Kubota, ARTSAT Project for the above information]

ARISS News

+ A Successful contact was made between About Gagarin From Space,
The Center Of Supplementary Education For Children Of Ruzayev
District Mordovia Republic Russia and Cosmonaut Oleg Artemyev using
callsign RSØISS. The contact began 2014-08-30 10:00 UTC and lasted
about nine and a half minutes. Contact was direct via R4UAB.
ARISS Mentor was RV3DR.
The Russian web site http://r4uab.ru/?page_id=6368 includes pictures,
video, and descriptions of the contact and student activities.

+ A Successful contact was made between Gymnasium Siegburg Alleestraße
Siegburg, Germany and Astronaut Alexander Gerst KF5ONO using callsign
DPØISS. The contact began 2014-09-01 13:12 UTC and lasted about
nine and a half minutes. Contact was direct via DN6KW.
ARISS Mentor was IN3GHZ.
600 were present in the audience, including students, parents,
VIP's, members of the DLR team, University of Bonn and the German
National Amateur Radio Society.  The German nationwide TV stations
ARD, WDR, RPR and some regional newspapers covered the event.

+ A Successful contact was made between Evansville Day  School
Evansville, Indiana USA and Astronaut Gregory Wiseman KF5LKT using
callsign NA1SS. The contact began 2014-09-03 14:31 UTC and lasted
about nine and a half minutes. Contact was direct via W9OG.
ARISS Mentor was K5YFL.
All 15 prepared questions plus two others were answered during the
contact. For all their STEM efforts leading up to the ARISS contact,
the mayor of Evansville declared Sept 3 as "Evansville Day School
Science Day."

Upcoming ARISS Contact Schedule

St. Joan of Arc School, Lisle, IL, direct via K9LEZ
Contact is  a go for: Mon 2014-09-08 18:34:45 UTC

St. Joan of Arc Catholic School is located in Lisle, Illinois, a
western suburb of Chicago. We are a pre-K to 8th grade school with
about 600 students. St. Joan provides an educational environment
which grants each student access to the highest quality and richest
variety of integrated educational experiences within our means. We
are committed to preparing our students to think critically and
become confident, sensitive, Christian leaders capable of adapting
and contributing to their community. Our school was awarded the
National Blue Ribbon Award for Academic Excellence in 2011. Our
school was named an IMSA (Illinios Math and Science Academy) Fusion
School in 2012. Our school participated in NASA's microgravity
program through the Johnson Space Center in Houston, Texas in 2013.
The teachers directly involves in this contact completed the American
Radio Relay League's (ARRL) summer teacher institute program and are
working with local radio amateurs to successfully complete this
contact and to provide additional opportunities to our classrooms.

Students First Names & Questions:
1.  Caitlin: Was it hard to sit so long in the Soyuz capsule on the
    way to the ISS?
2.  Ben: Do you have any type of church services or a chance to
    receive communion on the ISS?
3.  Marlo: What is your favorite thing you have seen on Earth from
    the space station?
4.  Mary: What type of research are you doing on the ISS?
5.  Olivia: What made you want to become an astronaut?
6.  Nicholas:  What is your favorite thing to eat in space?
7.  Merrick: How do you talk to your family and friends?
8.  Charlotte: What happens if you get sick?
9.  Amelia:  Is it hard to sleep in space?
10.  Taylor: What do you miss most about home?
11.  Ava: What do you like to do in your free time?
12.  Brady: What is the scariest thing you have experienced as an
     astronaut?
13.  Nathan: What type of exercises do you do while in space?
14.  Jake: What was your favorite subject while in school?
15.  Kristine: What was the hardest part of astronaut training?
16.  Phil: What is the most interesting object in the universe that
     you have seen from the ISS?
17.  Miss Friedman: What advice would you give to a student who
     would like to someday become an astronaut?
18.  Mrs. Anderson: What do you miss most about gravity?
19.  Mrs. Anderson: What is the greatest challenge of living with
     people from other countries?
20.  Miss Friedman: What do you enjoy most about being weightless?

Lanier Middle School and Lanier Cluster Schools, Sugar Hill, GA,
direct via W4GR
Contact is a go  for: Tue 2014-09-09 11:16:25 UTC

Lanier Cluster is the home of the Longhorns! They are a group of
schools with a common goal: Learn, Lead, Succeed. They are comprised
of one special needs preschool (The Buice School), three elementary
schools (Sugar Hill Elementary, Sycamore Elementary, White Oak
Elementary), one middle school (Lanier Middle), and one high school
(Lanier High). Their schools are located in the greater Atlanta metro
area in the largest school district in Georgia. Their schools and
cluster are named after nearby Lake Lanier, which part of the
Chattahoochee River system.

Lanier Cluster schools strive to create authentic learning
environments for our students. Towards that end, our elementary
schools, Lanier Middle, and Lanier High have project based learning
programs for students. At Lanier High, students choose to be a part
of a school within a school (academy model) as they guide students
towards career and college readiness. Lanier High was also recently
certified as a Georgia STEM high school, the only all-inclusive,
traditional high school in Georgia that has received this STEM
certification.

Lanier Cluster students are excited about science and space
exploration. They have participated in regional and state science
fairs, designed an experiment flown in microgravity, and chatted with
a NASA Earth scientist live on NASA TV. They have presented at
conferences, participated in robotics and app challenge events, and
even won an Emmy for work on a 3D computer animation for a PBS
documentary. The students of Lanier Cluster are excited to be a part
of this ARISS contact!

Students First Names & Questions:

1. Marcus (12th grade) What was your motivation to becoming an
   astronaut?
2. Joseph (5th grade) If you were repairing the space station
   outside and the tether snapped, what would you do?
3. James (11th grade) Your whole life led up to this moment.  You've
   gotten great grades through school and endured all the training
   that allowed you to go into space.  Do you think it is all worth
   doing? Does it all payoff in this moment?
4. Bianca (5th grade) Do you do cool experiments?
5. Wyatt (3rd grade) What do you like best about space?
6. Red Lady Bug Class (PreK 4) Can you dance in space?
7. Reyes (4th grade) In our school we have an Inquiry Program, which
   is a collaborative program.  As you work with other countries in
   space what challenges do you have as you collaborate with them.
8. America (3rd grade) How much do you weight when you wear your
   spacesuit on Earth?
9. Mason (5th grade) Does it get really hot when you re-enter
   Earth's atmosphere?
10. Zae-kwon (10th grade) Thinking of how long it took humans to go
    to the moon and how humans have not stepped foot on some of the
    other planets, how long do you think it will take to reach the
    nearest star system?
11. Green Frog Class (PreK 4) Will the spaceship crash into meteors?
12. Jahzay (5th grade) What exactly is your job at the space station?
13. Ormand (12th grade) What's the most annoying thing about zero
    gravity?
14. Charlie (5th grade) Have you come across any challenges yet?
15. Lily (5th grade) How do you sleep in space without floating
    around?
16. Brown Bear Class (PreK 4) How long is space training?
17. Savannah (4th grade)  Once you have landed back on Earth, how do
    you make adjustments to being back on Earth and no longer in space
    (gravity, sleeping, eating, etc.)
18. Sherlyn (3rd grade) How many astronauts are there in space?
19. Kasandra (5th grade) Is (are) there food or restrooms in space?
20. Blue Butterfly Class (PreK 4) How do you eat food without it
    floating away?

The ARISS team mourns the loss of Astronaut Steve Nagel, callsign
N5RAW, who passed away on August 21.  Steve supported amateur radio
school contacts on two of his Shuttle flights as part of the SAREX
(Shuttle Amateur Radio EXperiment) program, the forerunner to ARISS.

Article from last week's ARISS Contact at Dorothy Grant Elementary
in Fontana, CA:  http://TinyURL.com/ANS250-DorothyGrant

Here is the video that was put together by the Peoria Unified School
District for the Zuni Hills Contact.  Enjoy!
http://youtu.be/cQpAlsBE2IE

[ANS thanks ARISS, Charlie AJ9N, David AA4KN, Frank KA3DHO and Keith
 W5IU for the above information]

Satellite Shorts From All Over

The CubeSat Chasqui-1 features on page 44 of the September issue of
the free publication Sat Magazine
http://www.satmagazine.com/download.php#

Abyss-2 - from the Japanese language article it looks like it's
carrying an amateur radio payload and will launch this December. Does
anyone have any further information ?
http://tinyurl.com/ANS250-Asteroid

Also there appears to be a Japanese Lunar Orbiter under development
which will carry an amateur radio transponder
http://kit-okuyama-lab.com/en/sinen2/sinen2-outline/

[ANS thanks Trevor M5AKA for the above information]

You Can Run But You Can't Hide

Tom Doyle W9KE reports on the AMSAT-BB about a serendipitous CW
contact earlier this week.

On an early morning FO-29 pass I was doing some SDR desense tests. I
was looking for an open spot to do the tests so as to not interfere
with anyone. I send a bunch of dots or dashes to check the downlink
signal on the SDR and identify myself with the call sign.  There were
some ssb contacts going on and some CW so I had to move from time to
time.  It seemed as if I was often in danger of interfering with a cw
contact so I would have to move frequently. The sdr latency is an
issue when trying to monitor your cw downlink. I heard my callsign on
the downlink and thought that a two second latency delay was a bit
much. I finally figured out that someone was calling me - it was the
person that I had been trying to not interfere with by moving away
from his frequency. It was K9CIS. He deserves an award for working
someone who was not even trying to make a contact. He is a very
skilled operator who had no trouble with the fact that I was
operating without any Doppler correction and I had been jumping (not
swooping) around trying to stay off his frequency for some time.
Well done.

[ANS thanks Tom W9KE for the above information]

/EX

In addition to regular membership, AMSAT offers membership in the
President's Club. Members of the President's Club, as sustaining
donors to AMSAT Project Funds, will be eligible to receive addi-
tional benefits. Application forms are available from the AMSAT
Office.

Primary and secondary school students are eligible for membership
at one-half the standard yearly rate. Post-secondary school students
enrolled in at least half time status shall be eligible for the stu-
dent rate for a maximum of 6 post-secondary years in this status.
Contact Martha at the AMSAT Office for additional student membership
information.

73,
This week's ANS Editor,
EMike McCardel, KC8YLD