[jamsat-news:2558] ANS-286 AMSAT Weekly Bulletins

For approval-----

AMSAT NEWS SERVICE
ANS-286

***  2008 AMSAT Space Symposium and Annual General Meeting ***
***            October 24-26 in Atlanta, Georgia           ***

ANS is a free, weekly, news and information service of AMSAT North
America, The Radio Amateur Satellite Corporation. ANS reports on the
activities of a worldwide group of Amateur Radio operators who share an
active interest in designing, building, launching and communicating
through analog and digital Amateur Radio satellites.

Please send any amateur satellite news or reports to:

ans-editor@amsat.org

In this edition:
* AMSAT Symposium 2 Weeks Away
* More info on XW-1
* AMSAT Awards
* SSTV on AO-51
* ARISS Status - 12 October 2008

SB SAT @ AMSAT $ANS-286.01
AMSAT Symposium 2 Weeks Away

AMSAT News Service Bulletin 286.01
   From AMSAT HQ SILVER SPRING, MD.
October 12, 2008
To All RADIO AMATEURS
BID: $ANS-286.01

The AMSAT Symposium is only 2 weeks away.  Scheduled in Atlanta this
year, there are many new ideas and directions the BOD wants to steer the
organization towards.  Remember, the BOD meeting is open to the general
membership.  You can sit in the audience and watch the
progress of the BOD as they finalize decisions.
The rest of the meeting will include a fine lineup of presentations by
those "rocket scientists" we've heard so much about.  Talk to the
various committee members and ask your important burning questions on
your favorite subjects. Saturday night is the Banquet for all to enjoy.
Join the fun and sign up at the AMSAT website by following the keys to
the symposium forum.

[ANS thanks the 2008 Symposium Committee for the above information]

/EX

SB SAT @ AMSAT $ANS-286.02
More info on XW-1

AMSAT News Service Bulletin 286.02
   From AMSAT HQ SILVER SPRING, MD.
October 12, 2008
To All RADIO AMATEURS
BID: $ANS-286.02

Here are some details about upcoming Chinese XW-1:

> Orbit: Sun Synchronous Orbit
> Altitude: 499km
> Inclination: 98 degrees
> Period: 94 minutes
>
> Weight: 35kg
> Size: 550mm * 350mm
> Temperature: -20 to +45C
> Power: Li ion battery: 16Ah
> Long-term maximum power: 8W
> Short-term maximum power: 18W
>
> Payload:
>     Amateur radio payload: 5.2kg
>     Youngster's experiment payload: 1.6kg
>     CMOS camera: 0.2kg
>
> About amateur radio payload:
> Beacon: 435Mhz, CW 20dBm
> Linear transponder: RX: 145Mhz, TX: 435Mhz, 40KHz, 30dBm
> FM Transponder: RX: 145Mhz, TX: 435Mhz, 16KHz, 30dBm
> Digital store and forward transponder: RX: 145Mhz, TX: 435Mhz, 16KHz,
30dBm

> 145Mhz RX Antenna: 2dBi, 135 degree, LHCP, unpacked by remote control
after entering the orbit.
> 435Mhz TX antenna: 2dBi, 135 degree, RHCP, unpacked by remote control
after entering the orbit.

[ANS thanks Michael, BD5RV/4, for the above information]

/EX

SB SAT @ AMSAT $ANS-286.03
AMSAT Awards

AMSAT News Service Bulletin 286.03
   From AMSAT HQ SILVER SPRING, MD.
October 12, 2008
To All RADIO AMATEURS
BID: $ANS-286.03

I am catching up with awards that were delayed due to hurricane Ike. If
you don't see your name in this list, drop me an email as I might have
lost an email or two.

We would like to welcome the following to the satellite community. They
have made their first satellite contact and are now members of the AMSAT
Satellite Communicators Club.

Cherouvim Christos, SW1EIX
Joseph Seibert, AL1F
David Worboys, KG4ZLB

The following have earned the AMSAT Satellite Communications Achievement
Award.

Robert Netzband, NA2H #467
Allen Vinegar, W8KHP #468
Marc Sullivan, WA2S #469
Peter Carr, WW3O #470
Eddie Lawrence, KF4ZMT #471
David Gendle, K4DLG #472
Tim Lilley, N3TL #473
Dwight Fletcher, N1RCN #474

The following have earned the AMSAT South Africa Satellite Communications
Achievement Award.

Robert Netzband, NA2H #US123
Allen Vinegar, W8KHP #US124
Luc Leblanc, VE2DWE #US125
Marc Sullivan, WA2S #US126

The following have earned the AMSAT W4AMI Satellite Communications
Achievement Award.

Doug Papay, KD8CAO #52

To see all the awards visit http://www.amsat.org or
http://www.amsatnet.com

Bruce Paige, KK5DO
AMSAT Director Contests and Awards

[ANS thanks Bruce, KK5DO for the above information]

/EX

SB SAT @ AMSAT $ANS-286.04
SSTV on AO-51

AMSAT News Service Bulletin 286.04
   From AMSAT HQ SILVER SPRING, MD.
October 12, 2008
To All RADIO AMATEURS
BID: $ANS-286.04

This weekend AO-51 will operate in a special mode in anticipation of
Richard Garriott's visit to the ISS. Richard's launch is currently
scheduled for October 12th, with docking at the ISS on the 14th. Richard
plans on being very active from the ISS ham station, including extensive
operation with Slow Scan Television (SSTV).

In preparation for this event, AO-51 will be configured with dual
repeaters for the weekend of October 11th and 12th. The primary repeater
on AO-51 will be configured with an uplink on 1268.700 FM and downlink
of 435.300 FM, and will be designated for this period as an SSTV
repeater. Users are encouraged to exchange SSTV images in ROBOT 36 mode,
as an opportunity for others to practice receiving SSTV images from
space before the ISS activity. Please keep the images transmitted to
space-related themes, and to the ROBOT 36 mode. Polite and courteous
operation among those sharing the uplink is crucial to the success of
this mode.

Concurrently, there will be a QRP voice repeater running on 145.880 FM
uplink and 435.150 FM downlink. Users are asked to use 10 watts or less,
and omnidirectional or handheld antennas only.

Good luck receiving SSTV images this weekend, and from the ISS during
Richard Garriott's flight.

73, Drew KO4MA
AMSAT-NA VP Operations

[ANS thanks Drew, KO4MA, for the above information]
/EX

SB SAT @ AMSAT $ANS-286.05
ARISS Status - 06 October 2008

AMSAT News Service Bulletin 286.05
   From AMSAT HQ SILVER SPRING, MD.
October 12, 2008
To All RADIO AMATEURS
BID: $ANS-286.05

TBA

[ANS thanks Carol, KB3LKI, for the above information]

/EX

In addition to regular membership, AMSAT offers membership in the
President's Club. Members of the President's Club, as sustaining donors
to AMSAT Project Funds, will be eligible to receive additional benefits.
Application forms are available from the AMSAT Office.

73,
This week's ANS Editor,
Dee Interdonato, NB2F
nb2f at amsat dot org