[jamsat-news:2232] ANS-197 AMSAT Weekly Bulletins

AMSAT NEWS SERVICE
ANS-197

ANS is a free, weekly, news and information service of AMSAT North
America, The Radio Amateur Satellite Corporation. ANS reports on the
activities of a worldwide group of Amateur Radio operators who share an
active interest in designing, building, launching and communicating
through analog and digital Amateur Radio satellites.

Please send any amateur satellite news or reports to:

ans-editor@amsat.org

In this edition:
* AO-51 Updated schedule
* Field Day Logs Due
* Conference Submissions
* ARISS STATUS
* Satellite Demo a Success

SB SAT @ AMSAT $ANS-197.01
AO-51 Updated Schedule

AMSAT News Service Bulletin 197.01
 From AMSAT HQ SILVER SPRING, MD.
July 16, 2006
To All RADIO AMATEURS
BID: $ANS-197.01

Drew, KO4MA, reports:
We've been able to include some L band modes in the AO-51 schedule this
month. From the 13th to the 17th we'll have L/U digital on the 435.150
transmitter, along with the regular FM repeater on 435.300. From the
17th to the 24th, we'll have a L/U repeater on the 435.150 downlink. On
the 24th it's back to the normal V/U digital and voice configuration.

The 435.300 V/U repeater will remain operational all month, and whenever
a digital mode is on, the digipeater will be enabled. Please continue to
report digi experiences via the ao51-modes email. If anyone sets up a
gateway, please let us know that too.

Here's the updated schedule from the webpage:

July 1 to July 13

FM Repeater
Downlink 435.300 mHz FM
Uplink 145.920 mHz FM with 67 hz Tone

Digital / PBBS
Downlink 435.150 mHz FM 9k6 Digital
Uplink 145.860 mHz FM 9k6 Digital
PBBS Active
Telemetry Downlink and Digipeater Active (No Unattended Digipeater Ops
Please)

July 13 to July 17

FM Repeater
Downlink 435.300 mHz FM
Uplink 145.920 mHz FM with 67 hz Tone

Digital / PBBS
Downlink: 435.150 mhz FM, 9k6 PBP Digital Uplink: 1268.700 mhz FM, 9k6
PBP Digital PBBS Active
Telemetry Downlink and Digipeater Active (No Unattended Digipeater Ops
Please)

July 17 to July 24

FM Repeater
Downlink 435.300 mHz FM
Uplink 145.920 mHz FM with 67 hz Tone

FM Repeater
Downlink 435.150 mHz FM
Uplink 1268.700 mHz FM

July 24 to July 31

FM Repeater
Downlink 435.300 mHz FM
Uplink 145.920 mHz FM with 67 hz Tone

Digital / PBBS
Downlink 435.150 mHz FM 9k6 Digital
Uplink 145.860 mHz FM 9k6 Digital
PBBS Active
Telemetry Downlink and Digipeater Active (No Unattended Digipeater Ops
Please)

[ANS thanks Drew, KO4MA, for the above information]

/EX

SB SAT @ AMSAT $ANS-197.02 Field Day Logs Due

AMSAT News Service Bulletin 197.02
 From AMSAT HQ SILVER SPRING, MD.
July 16, 2006
To All RADIO AMATEURS
BID: $ANS-197.02

Just a quick note. Do not forget to turn in your Field Day 2006 results.
July 17, 2006 at 11:59 PM Central Time is the deadline for submissions.
Do not wait to the last minute and get skipped. So far, there are 18
submissions.

73...bruce

[ANS thanks Bruce, KK5DO, for the above information]

/EX

SB SAT @ AMSAT $ANS-197.03 Conference Submissions

AMSAT News Service Bulletin 197.03
 From AMSAT HQ SILVER SPRING, MD.
July 16, 2006
To All RADIO AMATEURS
BID: $ANS-197.03

2006 Microwave Update Conference Submissions
The 2006 Microwave Update Conference will be held on the 20th and 21st
of October in Dayton Ohio. We are looking for technical contributions to
be included in the Proceedings. Looking for anything of interest to
microwave enthusiasts. Short, one pagers with one or two pictures would
suffice!  Of course, if you have more, or want to give a presentation,
that is fine too! Send me an e-mail or call! Gerd, WB8IFM@AMSAT.org
937-253-3993

[ANS thanks Gerd, WB8IFM, for the above information]

/EX

SB SAT @ AMSAT $ANS-197.04 ARISS STATUS

AMSAT News Service Bulletin 197.04
 From AMSAT HQ SILVER SPRING, MD.
July 16, 2006
To All RADIO AMATEURS
BID: $ANS-197.04

ARISS Status
July 10, 2006

1. Hiroshima Contact Successful

On July 4, fifteen children, gathered at the Hiroshima Children痴 Museum
in Hiroshima, Japan, spoke with Jeff Williams, KD5TVQ.  The youth asked
one question each of the astronaut in front of an audience of
approximately 200.   A newspaper provided coverage of the event.

2. Upcoming School Contact

Due to the arrival of STS-121 and related EVA activities, no radio
contacts have been scheduled for the coming week.  Scheduling of new
contacts will continue as soon as possible.

3. ARRL Posts Story on Kuwait Contact

ARRL ran an article on the ARISS-Kuwait contact entitled, 鉄pacewalk is
繕ltimate Experience,Astronaut Tells Kuwaiti Students. See:
http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2006/07/06/100/?nc=1

4. ARRL Articles Cover Shuttle Ham Astronauts

ARRL has been following the July 4 launch and docking of STS-121 which
carried three ham astronauts into space. The July 5 story, 鉄huttle
Discovery Launches to ISS with Three Radio Amateurs Aboardmay be found at:
http://www.arrl.org/

擢ive Radio Amateurs Now Aboard the Space Stationmay be viewed on:
http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2006/07/07/100/?nc=1

5. Astronaut Training Status

Michael Lopez-Alegria, KE5GTK, Bob Behnken, KE5GGX, and Nicole Stott,
KE5GJN, have tentatively been scheduled for ISS Ham training sessions.
Lopez-Alegria is scheduled for a class on July 18, and Behnken and Stott
will receive their instruction on July 20.  Training will cover basic
radio operations and school contacts.

[ANS thanks Carol, KB3LKI for the above information]

/EX

SB SAT @ AMSAT $ANS-197.05
Satellite Demo a Success

AMSAT News Service Bulletin 197.05
 From AMSAT HQ SILVER SPRING, MD.
July 16, 2006
To All RADIO AMATEURS
BID: $ANS-197.05

Stefan, VE4NSA and Gerry, VE4GTB reported good success with their
AMSAT table and satellite demonstrations during the first week of
July at the 43rd International Hamfest at Peace Garden in North
Dakota/Manitoba.  They also provided amateur radio satellite demon-
strations at the Manitoba Space Adventure Camp.

Stefan said, "We had a very busy week and past weekend with two big
events. I would like to thank all the stations and operators that
made our portable satellite demonstrations such a big success."

With over 160 participants, the campgrounds at the International Peace
Garden facility saw a lot of amateur radio activity during this year's
hamfest.  Stefan continued, "Gerry and I worke dstations on AO-51,
SO-50, FO-29 and VO-52 with our portable FT-847 and Gulf Alpha antenna
setup."

As a result of their efforts many visitors saw satellite operation in
action for the first time. The AMSAT table gave the two plenty of
opportunity to talk with folks from the U.S. and Canada about amateur
radio in space.

The 1st Manitoba Space Adventure Camp included 29 high school students
at the Canadian Forces School for Aerospace Studies. This was the
kick-off event for the upcoming Winnipeg CubeSat project. Stefan and
Gerry were able to demonstrate live satellite communications and many
students are now very interested in obtaining their license.

Stefan concludes with, "All of this would not be possible without the
willingness of fellow operators who were talking to us via satellite and
engaging the students and hamfest participants. You folks make a demo
real and live."

[ANS thanks Stefan, VE4NSA and Gerry, VE4GTB for the above information]

/EX

In addition to regular membership, AMSAT offers membership in the President's Club. Members of the President's Club, as sustaining donors to AMSAT Project Funds, will be eligible to receive additional benefits. Application forms are available from the AMSAT Office.

73, This week's ANS Editor,
Dee Interdonato, NB2F
nb2f at amsat dot org
----
Via the ans mailing list at AMSAT.ORG courtesy of AMSAT-NA.