[jamsat-news:1590] September 2001 President's Letter

SB SAT @ AMSAT $ANS-267.01
SEPTEMBER 2001 PRESIDENT'S LETTER

AMSAT NEWS SERVICE BULLETIN 267.01 FROM AMSAT HQ
SILVER SPRING, MD, SEPTEMBER 24, 2001
TO ALL RADIO AMATEURS
BID: $ANS-267.01

The Presidents Letter for September 2001 is a little late,
due to the terrible things that happened in New York and
Washington. However, I am pleased to report that Amateur
Radio has once again come to the assistance of those who
are involved in the search and rescue efforts, and I feel
sure that as a result of the continuing need to develop
and maintain emergency plans in towns and cities around
the world -- our services will continue to be in demand.

I am also proud to report to you that since the infamous
acts of September 11th, the number of registrants for the
2001 AMSAT-NA Symposium and Annual meeting in Atlanta has
grown by quite a large number, with many participants coming
from overseas in addition to North America. This certainly
is in the spirit of "return to normality".

More tests are being carried out on AO-40, and of particular
note is the testing of the GPS systems, which were provided
by NASA. These tests are currently proceeding using the RUDAK
system and I hope they turn out to be successful.

Design parameters are continuing for Project "JJ" and project
committee members hope to have their preliminary design review
around the end of this year. Meanwhile, the Business Development
Committee has plans in place to involve members in the important
business of fund raising for our new project - will you help?
In the next few weeks expect to receive a letter from me outlining
the needs of the project and ways that our membership can help.

Meanwhile, I look forward to seeing many of you at our Symposium
and Annual Meeting in Atlanta!

73,

Robin Haighton, VE3FRH
President AMSAT-NA

/EX
----
Via the ans mailing list at AMSAT.ORG courtesy of AMSAT-NA.