[jamsat-news:487] ANS-040 WEEKLY BULLETINS

SB SAT @ AMSAT  $ANS-040.01
OSCAR SKN BEST FIST WINNERS

HR AMSAT NEWS SERVICE BULLETIN 040.01 FROM AMSAT HQ
SILVER SPRING, MD, FEBRUARY 09, 1997
TO ALL RADIO AMATEURS BT
BID: $ANS-040.01

Activity in AMSAT-NA's 25th annual Straight Key Night on OSCAR
was good, despite the loss of AO-13.  RS-10 and RS-12 were
especially active, with some SKN stations logged on AO-10, RS-15
and FO-20 as well.

For the second year in a row, our Grand Prize winner is Rusty,
NM1K.  Last year, Rusty received four separate nominations; this
year, he got six!  Other Best Fist winners, each for the first
time, include K8NQC, OE2SNL, VE3PYG and W2FB.  Congratulations to
one and all.

[ANS thanks  Ray Soifer, W2RS, for this news.]

/EX

SB SAT @ AMSAT  $ANS-040.02
BALLOON LAUNCH INFO

HR AMSAT NEWS SERVICE BULLETIN 040.02 FROM AMSAT HQ
SILVER SPRING, MD, FEBRUARY 09, 1997
TO ALL RADIO AMATEURS BT
BID: $ANS-040.02

During the 1996 AMSAT Annual Meeting & Space Symposium, the AMSAT-NA BoD
asked Doug Howard, KG5OA, to be a sort of liaison for high altitude balloon
projects. It was felt that there were many similarities between these two
facets of amateur radio which might be better approached in a coordinated
fashion. The AMSAT-NA BoD voiced a specific interest in the similar goals
of
educational opportunities, especially as it applies to young people.

As a first step, a World Wide Web page has been created to serve as an
information resource for AMSAT members who are interested in high altitude
ballooning, as well as for balloon projects themselves. A link has been
established from the main AMSAT web page at the following URL:
(http://www.amsat.org/amsat/AmsatHome.html)

[ANS thanks Doug  Howard, KG5OA, for this report.]

/EX

SB SAT @ AMSAT  $ANS-040.03
RS-16 LAUNCH INFO

HR AMSAT NEWS SERVICE BULLETIN 040.03 FROM AMSAT HQ
SILVER SPRING, MD, FEBRUARY 09, 1997
TO ALL RADIO AMATEURS BT
BID: $ANS-040.03

Rumors of an imminent launch of RS-16 continue to circulate, however no
definite information on a specific launch date is available at this time.
Keep tuned to ANS for new information as it becomes available. Once
launched, the expected orbital altitude is 500 - 600 kilometers with an
orbital inclination of 97.2 degrees The following frequencies will be used
by RS-16:

	Uplink =  145.915 - 145.948 MHz
	Downlink = 29.415 - 29.448  MHz
	Beacons  = 29.408 , 29.451  MHz
	Pwr 29 MHz Down = 1.2 W /4 W

	Beacon 1  = 435.504 MHz
	Beacon 2  = 435.548 MHz
	Pwr 435 MHz Beacons = 1.6 W

[ANS thanks Andy, RK3KPK, operator of the RS3A RS satellite command
station,
ans SpaceNews for this information.]

/EX

SB SAT @ AMSAT  $ANS-040.04
AO-10 KEP INFO

HR AMSAT NEWS SERVICE BULLETIN 040.04 FROM AMSAT HQ
SILVER SPRING, MD, FEBRUARY 09, 1997
TO ALL RADIO AMATEURS BT
BID: $ANS-040.04

There are no new keps for AO-10.  NORAD says, via Ken
Ernandes, that the satellite is in an orbit that is difficult to track with
their optical/video trackers (GEODSS), and it won't be until spring or
early summer before it is visible at these sites in the night sky (they
can't track during the day with this technique). Efforts are being made to
persuade them track it with other techniques (long range radar) or from
other sites, but so far no results.

 The current keps seem to be late according to Stacey Mills, W4SM, i.e. the

satellite appears before the keps predict. Mills found that if you can
figure
out the time difference at perigee (when does AO-10 appear vs. when the
keps
predict), then subtract (or add) that fraction of a day from the epoch
time. This will give a close prediction.. Of course more than just the
time/MA is changing, but that's a major factor, and this correction makes
the keps usable.  Others have done the same thing by adjusting the drag
factor.  Mills subtracted 0.02 days from Epoch time over the weekend and
this was a definite improvement, but he didn't have perigee data to really
tweak the correction.

There is a beginning movement by the P3 command stations and others to
resurrect some older amateur ranging and orbital calculation techniques and
algorithms used on AO-10/13, update them to newer computers and rangers for
use on P3D and test them on AO-10, but this will take a while and
new NORAD keps are expected before then.

Until AMSAT receives new keps, try pointing at a predicted perigee AOS
azimuth about 30 or so minutes earlier than predicted, listen to the beacon

freq., note the time of AOS, subtract this time as a fraction of a day from

Epoch time, and see if the new keps don't work a lot better, if you get a
good set, let ANS know what your adjustment factor was. Send the
information
to wt0n@amsat.org. To be clear(er), assuming AOS is earlier than expected,
subtract the difference between predicted AOS and actual AOS, expressed as
a decimal fraction of a day, from EPOCH time. (If AOS is later than
expected, add the difference to EPOCH time).

[ANS thanks  Stacey E. Mills, W4SM, for this information.]

/EX

SB SAT @ AMSAT  $ANS-040.05
THE STATION PROGRAM RELEASED

HR AMSAT NEWS SERVICE BULLETIN 040.05 FROM AMSAT HQ
SILVER SPRING, MD, FEBRUARY 09, 1997
TO ALL RADIO AMATEURS BT
BID: $ANS-040.05

The latest beta version of The Station Program is available from the
AMSAT-BDA www site (http://199.172.219.213). The new version fixes a
number of reported bugs, and adds support for the AEA ST-1 Tracker and
older Icom (CI-IV via UX-14/CT-17), radios. If you already have the setup

files then you only need to download the latest fix file for 1.0f BETA 3.

The Station Program is a complete ground-station control program, for
Windows 3.1, WFW 3.11 & Windows 95. Currently it is optimized for the
analog birds, it is not the same as WiSP! The Station Program is
distributed by AMSAT-UK, and all proceeds are donated to the AMSAT
Phase-3D fund.

Download the regular release (1.0e - 3 disks), install, then replace the
station.exe, and rig.dll files with the one in the stafix7.zip file. This

version can be used without a registration number until February 20,
1997. Please send any bug reports to Paul Willmott, vp9mu@amsat.org.

To run without registering, leave the serial number field blank!

The software supports the KCT, ST-1 and Icom CI-V interfaces, and is
great for analog modes, turn the dial and work satellite as easily as HF.

Also currently under development, Yaesu FT-736R, DDE Trackers, EasyComm1
& EasyComm2 support - watch this space!

[ANS thanks Paul Willmott, VP9MU, for this update.]

/EX

SB SAT @ AMSAT  $ANS-040.06
WEEKLY SATELLITE REPORT PT 1

HR AMSAT NEWS SERVICE BULLETIN 040.06 FROM AMSAT HQ
SILVER SPRING, MD, FEBRUARY 09, 1997
TO ALL RADIO AMATEURS BT
BID: $ANS-040.06

FO-29
Voice/CW
(Uplink 145.9-146.0MHz CW/LSB, Downlink 435.8-435.9MHz CW/USB)
Digital
(Uplink 145.85, 145.87, 145.910 MHz FM, Downlink 435.910 MHz FM 9600
baud BPSK)
FO-29 is in  digital mode at the current time.

[ANS thanks, Kazu Sakamoto, JJ1WTK  for this update.]

MIR:
(New frequencies implemented 1 January 1997:
Uplink 145.2 MHz FM
Downlink  145.8MHz FM)
Note, the above split is used for both packet and voice operation.
Astronaut Jerry Linenger, KC5HBR,  was reported  to
have worked several stations on Friday 1/31/97 at 1030 UTC, as
MIR passed over North America. Valery, R0MIR his working
voice daily on night passes over EU.

[ANS thanks Francisco Costa, CT1EAT, for this report.]

SAFEX, MIR 70cm Repeater
(Uplink 435.750MHz FM, Downlink 437.950MHz FM,
Subaudible tone 141.3 Hz)
The repeater is back up again and active.

RS-12:
(Uplink 21.21-21.25MHz CW/SSB, Downlink 29.41-29.45MHz or
145.91-145.95Mhz CW/SSB)
The sat is giving extremely good downlink signals on 2 meters. In
this period of poor propagation on 15 m, the T-mode is providing  very
easy access to the satellite. Interesting DX activity has been spotted
in Europe with stations in Egypt, Crete, Cameroon, etc.

[ANS thanks Stefano Badessi, PA3FWP, for this report.]

RS-10:
(Uplink 145.865-145.905MHz CW/SSB, Downlink 29.36-29.4MHz CW/SSB)
Operating normally. Very busy with lots of QSOs heard over
north America and Europe.

RS-15
(Uplink 145.858-145.898MHz CW/SSB, Downlink 29.354-29.394MHz CW/SSB)
Be aware that RS-15 has battery charging problems. When the satellite is
in the dark it's dead.

[ANS thanks  Bob Johnson,  W7LRD, for this report.]
(Hint: If SSB doesn't work for you, try CW. CW is very easy
to hear on the downlink!)

KO-23
(Uplink 145.85, 145.9MHz FM, Downlink 435.175MHz FM,
9600 Baud FSK.)
KO-23 Normal operation.

KO-25:
(Uplink 145.87MHz FM, Downlink 436.5MHz FM,
9600 Baud FSK.)
KO-25 Normal operation
KO-25 returned to full service on 1/7/97.

[ANS thanks Jim Weisenberger, AA7KC, for his reports on
KO-25 and KO-23.]

AO-27:
(Uplink 145.85MHz FM, Downlink 436.8MHz FM)
Feb-08-97 11:38 UTC) It is working normally in its orbits
on Europe. It's downlink is being copied well in many
European countries like Germany, France, Spain,
and  the Canary Islands (EA8), etc.

[ANS thanks Miguel A. Menendez, EA1BCU, for this report.]

As of NOV 2, the AO-27 schedule is as follows:
  TEPR 4 = 16 = 8 Minutes in Length
  TEPR 5 = 52 = 18 Minutes in Length

  TX-3 is on Mid Power during TEPR 5.

This will have the TX turn on 8 Minutes after the satellite
enters the sun for a duration of 18 Minutes. This is a "back to US
Latitudes"operation.

N4USI, AO-27's current Command Station sends his thanks all for
their messages about the satellite turning on later than expected. He
reports he's deliberately letting the "turn on" time drift later
(for about 4-5 Minutes) so stations in the southern latitudes can also
have a chance to work AO-27.  Every few months he will be letting the
turn on time drift like this to give more stations a chance to make
contacts thru the satellite.

[ANS thanks  Michael, N4USI , AO-27 Control-op, for this
update.]

AO-10:
(Uplink 435.030-435.18MHz CW/LSB, Downlink 145.975-145.825MHz
CW/USB)
Operational
QRP DX on AO-10   Frank G3MZU  worked DL6MBX  recently  on phone
when AO-10 was at a range of 40,000Km.  Frank made the QSO with just
25 Watts to a 23 element long yagi.  For the downlink 6El Quad and a
pre-amp.

[ANS thanks John Heath, G7HIA,  Net Controller. For this report.]

/EX

SB SAT @ AMSAT  $ANS-040.07
WEEKLY SATELLITE REPORT PT 2

HR AMSAT NEWS SERVICE BULLETIN 040.07 FROM AMSAT HQ
SILVER SPRING, MD, FEBRUARY 09, 1997
TO ALL RADIO AMATEURS BT
BID: $ANS-040.07

AMSAT-OSCAR-16 (PACSAT)
(Uplink 145.9, 145.92, 145.94, 145.86MHz FM, Downlink 437.0513MHz SSB,
1200 Baud PSK.)
PACSAT (AO-16)
AO-16 is working normally in its orbits on Europe.
The WOD files are active again.
this week ( 5-Feb-97) report the different values of the solar panels
channels 26,27,28,29,2A,2B
graphic information on these values can find it in
http://www.arrakis.es/~ea1bcu/t4.htm

[ANS thanks Miguel A. Menendez, EA1BCU, for this report.]

FO-20
(Uplink 145.9-146.0MHz CW/LSB, Downlink 435.8-435.9MHz CW/USB)
Operating normally. Strong downlink signal.

OSCAR-11
(Downlink 145.825MHz. FM, 1200 Baud PSK)
During the past month (18 December - 14 January) good, steady signals
have been received from OSCAR-11 on 145.826 MHz.

[ANS thanks  Clive Wallis, G3CWV, for this information.]

IO-26 ( ITAMSAT):
(Uplink 145.875, 145.9, 145.925, 145.95MHz FM, Downlink 435.822MHz SSB,
1200 Baud PSK.)
IK2XRO at the ITAMSAT Control Station reported on 28-Jan-97 that IO-26 was
in MBL mode in preparation for the new code upload. The transmitter was off

[ANS thanks Daniele Piercarlo, IK2XRO, ITMSAT Command Station for this
report.]

DO-17(DOVE)
( Downlink 145.825MHz FM, 1200 Baud AFSK.)
>DOVE-1>BRAMST/V [02/06/97 12:50:08]: <UI>:
>DOVE is undergoing tests in preparation for its full commissioning.
>Thank you for your patience
According to Jim White, WD0E, Microsat Command Station,
"This message is hard coded into the DOVE PHT software from 1992.  We load
this version of PHT first because it is solid and proven.  We always change
this message to one more current as part of the startup sequence.  About
two minutes later it was changed to:
"S-band is on.
Power 1 Watt day/night.
DOVE Command Team
(WD0E)"
During the same few minutes we turned on the s-band transmitter, reduced
the 2 meter power from about 3.5W to 1W (to allow continuos support of
s-band), changed the telemetry interval to 30 seconds (also to reduce power
consumption), and set the UTC time."

[ANS thanks Jim White, WD0E, of the DOVE Command Team
for this report.]

LUSAT-OSCAR-19
(Uplink 145.84, 145.86, 145.88, 145.9MHz FM, Downlink 437.1528MHz SSB,
1200 Baud PSK AX.25.)
LUSAT (LO-19)is  working excellently in its orbits on Europe.
uptime is 598/21:55:00.  Time is Sat Feb 08 12:00:10 1997
PB: HB9SKA\D EA1BCU\D IK1VGG\D F6CEE\D IW1CCH

[ANS thanks Miguel A. Menendez, EA1BCU, for this report.]

WEBERSAT (WO-18)
(Downlink 437.104MHz SSB, 1200 Baud PSK AX.25.)
WeberSat (WO-18) is currently in MBL mode after yesterday's system
crash.  The satellite's transmitter has been reactivated, and appears
to be good condition broadcasting MBL telemetry.

[ANS thanks Tommy Davis, IK3WVJ,  for this report.]

[Please send your Satellite or News reports to ANS Editor B.J. Arts, WT0N,
via e-mail, at bjarts@uslink.net or to wt0n@amsat.org]

/EX

un-subscribe or change your Internet address for any of the AMSAT
lists. You may request to be added or deleted from the following
lists: AMSAT-BB, ANS, SAREX, or KEPS. Please *do not* send such
requests to the lists themselves.**

BJ Arts
WT0N in EN-37,  ARMY MARS AAR5EL
Hibbing, Minnesota. U.S.A.