[jamsat-news:3026] ANS-333 Special Bulletin - AO-51 End of Mission

SB SAT @ AMSAT $ANS-333.01
AO-51 End of Mission

AMSAT News Service Bulletin 331.01
From AMSAT HQ SILVER SPRING, MD.
November 27, 2011
To All RADIO AMATEURS
BID: $ANS-331.01

AMSAT-NA VP Operations, Drew Glasbrenner, KO4MA reported today,
"It is with a heavy heart I report that AO-51 has ceased trans-
mission and is not responding to commands."

Drew wrote, "The last telemetry data indicated that the third of
six batteries was approaching failure to short, and observations
indicate the voltage from three cells is insufficient to power the
UHF transmitters. The IHU may continue to be operative. Initial
tests with the S-band transmitter were also not positive, although
more attempts are in order. We have tried leaving the satellite in
an expected state where if voltages climb high enough, the 435.150
transmitter may possibly be heard."

The command team will regularly attempt communications with the
satellite over the coming months (and years). There is always the
possibility that a cell will open and we could once again talk to
our friend while illuminated. Thanks to all who helped fund, des-
ign, build, launch, command, and operate AO-51. It's 7 year mission
has been extraordinary.

Please support AMSAT's Fox-1 project, and other AMSAT projects world-
wide with your time and money.

[ANS thanks the AO-51 Command Team for the above information]

/EX