[jamsat-news:2989] ANS-215.02 AMSAT News Service Special Bulletin ARISSat-1/KEDRDeployed

SB SAT @ AMSAT $ANS-215.02
ARISSat-1/KEDR Deployed on August 3 - Signals Received

AMSAT News Service Bulletin 215.02
>From AMSAT HQ SILVER SPRING, MD.
August 3, 2011
To All RADIO AMATEURS
BID: $ANS-215.02

AMSAT NEWS SERVICE SPECIAL BULLETIN
ANS-215
In this Special Bulletin:
* ARISSat-1/KEDR Deployed on August 3 - Signals Received

ARISSat-1/KEDR has been deployed from the ISS during EVA-29 on
Wednesday, August 3 by Cosmonaut/Flight Engineers Sergei Volkov
and Alexander Samokutyaev. First signals have been received
by JR8LWY reporting copy of the telemetry beacon as the satel-
lite passed over Japan.

Full operational capability of ARISSat-1/KEDR is still under
evaluation pending performance evaluation of the UHF antenna.
Please submit your reception signal reports on amsat-bb and via
the mission's e-mail boxes on http://www.amsat.org.

AMSAT President Barry Baines, WD4ASW, observed, "Welcome to a
new era as AMSAT returns to space with ARISSat-1/KEDR. I encour-
age all hams, SWLs, educators, and experimenters to enjoy the
unique opportunity presented by this mission to learn about ama-
teur radio in space, enhance and improve your station, and hone
your operating skills as you try out all of this satellite's
features."

Barry continues, "ARISSat-1/KEDR marks a new type of satellite
which has captured the attention of the national space agencies
around the world for the unique educational opportunity we have
been able to design, launch, and now operate. By designing an
educational mission aligned with NASA's Science, Technology,
Engineering, and Mathematics goals amateur radio operators around
the world can now enjoy a new satellite in orbit."

ARISSat-1/KEDR Project Manager, Gould Smith, WA4SXM said, "Dozens
of amateur radio volunteers, AMSAT, ARRL, NASA, and Energia have
teamed up for this successful mission to bring you the most unique
and innovative amateur radio satellite mission flying 220 miles
above your QTH at 17,500 mph! Congratulations to all who made
ARISSat-1 successful!"

Continuing, Gould said, "ARRISat-1/KEDR has been developed, built,
and tested by a remarkable team of radio amateurs. As the Project
Manager for ARISSat-1/KEDR these past three years I have had the
opportunity to work with these creative people to get to where we
are now ... IN ORBIT!"

Congratulations to our ARISSat-1/KEDR team:

Tony Monteiro, AA2TX
Dave Jordan, AA4KN
Claire Fredlund
John Charais
Mark Steiner, K3MS
Jim Diggs, K4AHO
George Presley, K4RSV
Jim Johns, KA0IQT
Douglas Quagliana, KA2UPW
Phil Karn, KA9Q
Carol Jackson, KB3LKI
Dick Jansson, KD1K
Bob Davis, KF4KSS
Joe Armbruster, KJ4JIO
Joe Fitzgerald, KM1P
Chuck Green, N0ADI
Gilbert Mackall, N3RZN
Mark Severance, N5XWF
Kenneth Ransom, N5VHO
Bill Ress, N6GHZ
Steve Bible, N7HPR
Joe Julicher, N9WXU
Jerry Zdenek, N9YTK
Bill Reed, NX5R
Sergey Samburov, RV3DR
Valery Pikkiev, RW3WW
Sergey Borodin
Tim Moffat
Lou McFadin, W5DID
Larry Brown, W7LB
Stan Wood, WA4NFY
Alan Biddle, WA4SCA
Gould Smith, WA4SXM
Graham Shirville, G3VZV
John Klingelhoeffer, WB4LNM
Barry Baines, WD4ASW
Bob Schwerdlin, WG9L
Carmine Fiorello, WK6C
Carl Zelich, AA4MI
Hank Sill, AC4ZI
Olon Henderson, AJ4HP
Garry Tuttle, N2EOX
Mike Welch, W1MNW

[ANS thanks AMSAT President Barry Baines, WD4ASW and ARISSat-1/KEDR
 Project Manager, Gould Smith, WA4SXM for the above information]

/EX