[jamsat-news:2737] ANS-294 AMSAT News Service Special Bulletin SumbandilaSatDesignated as SO-67

SB SAT @ AMSAT $ANS-294.01
SumbandilaSat Designated as SO-67

AMSAT News Service Bulletin 294.01
>From AMSAT HQ SILVER SPRING, MD.
October 21, 2009
To All RADIO AMATEURS
BID: $ANS-294.01

AMSAT's OSCAR Number Coordinator Bill Tynan, W3XO announced he has
received an e-mail sent to the AMSAT-NA Board of Directors by Hans
van de Groenendaal, ZS6AKV, Secretary SA AMSAT requesting that an
OSCAR number be allocated to SumbandilaSat.

In the e-mail Hans states that the amateur radio transponder on
SumbandilaSat was successfully switched on from the ground by ZS6BPZ
during the test phase on Sunday 18 October 2009 and that several QSOs
were made through the transponder.

The amateur radio payload on SumbandilaSat was developed by SA AMSAT
and incorporated by the University of Stellenbosch into the main pay-
load. The SA AMSAT payload was officially coordinated through the
IARU Satellite Frequency Coordination Panel with an uplink of 145.880
and downlink of 435.350 MHz

Bill replied, "Therefore, by the authority vested in me by the
AMSAT-NA President, I hereby designate this latest amateur radio
satellite as SumbandilaSat Oscar 67 or SO-67. On behalf of AMSAT-NA
and the world's amateur radio satellite community I congratulate those
responsible for building, testing and launching this new satellite.
May it have a long and successful life."

[ANS thanks Bill Tynan, W3XO for the above information]

/EX