[jamsat-news:2675] ANS-158 AMSAT News Service Weekly Bulletins

AMSAT NEWS SERVICE
ANS-158

ANS is a free, weekly, news and information service of AMSAT North
America, The Radio Amateur Satellite Corporation. ANS reports on the
activities of a worldwide group of Amateur Radio operators who share an
active interest in designing, building, launching and communicating
through analog and digital Amateur Radio satellites.

Please send any amateur satellite news or reports to:
ans-editor@amsat.org

* 2009 AMSAT Space Symposium and Annual General Meeting October 9-11 *
*   Four Points Sheraton Hotel at the Baltimore Washington Airport   *
*  Details - http://www.amsat.org/amsat-new/symposium/2009/index.php *

In this edition:

* Call for Nominations AMSAT Board of Directors
* 2009 AMSAT Annual Meeting and Space Symposium - Call for papers
* New Members Welcomed to AO-51 Operations Committee
* AMSAT Awards
* Hotel Booking Details for AMSAT-UK Space Colloquium July 25-26
* COMPASS Satellite Team Releases New Commands for Amateur Radio
* Satellite Shorts From All Over

SB SAT @ AMSAT $ANS-158.01
Call for Nominations AMSAT Board of Directors

AMSAT News Service Bulletin 158.01
>From AMSAT HQ SILVER SPRING, MD.
June 7, 2009
To All RADIO AMATEURS
BID: $ANS-158.01

Pursuant to AMSAT-NA Bylaws, ARTICLE III Meetings and Election of
Directors; Section 2:
http://www.amsat.org/amsat-new/AboutAmsat/documents/bylaws.php

Written nominations of Members for the position of Director, which
nominees shall have agreed to serve if elected, shall be received
by the Secretary on or before June 15 of each year.

The deadline for nominations for the 2009 AMSAT Board of Directors
elections to be received at the AMSAT office is no later than
June 15, 2009. A nomination requires either one AMSAT Member Society
or five current AMSAT members. A director serves 2 years.

Nominations must be in writing and send via regular mail to: AMSAT,
850 Sligo Ave #600, Silver Spring, MD 20910. E-mail nominations
cannot be accepted.

The seats on the Board that are up for election include, Rick Hambly,
W2GPS; Barry Baines, WD4ASW; Drew Glasbrenner, KO4MA; and Gunther
Meisse, W8GSM.

The AMSAT Office reports at press time, the following people have
been nominated:  Anthony Monteiro, AA2TX; Bill Ress, N6GHZ; Barry
Baines, WD4ASW; Drew Glasbrenner, KO4MA; Alan Biddle, WA4SCA.

Gunther Meisse, W8GSM has advised the Board that he will not run
for another term. Gunther said, "With the increased pressure of my
day job and the economic pressures that are present for the public
media, I need to spend 110% of my time with the family's Radio and
Television stations. I have enjoyed the wonderful time with the
brilliant brain trust within AMSAT, but business calls. It is my
hope that the membership will elect new, young, innovative thinkers
to the BoD. AMSAT, just like my industry, is changing and we need
new thinkers to deal with the new realities. I send my special thank
you to all the members who have supported my ideas over the last few
years. It has been fun and educational. Never stop seeking out new
things to learn!" Rick Hambly, W2GPS also will not seek re-election
to the Board this year.

[ANS thanks the AMSAT Board of Directors for the above information]

/EX

SB SAT @ AMSAT $ANS-158.02
2009 AMSAT Annual Meeting and Space Symposium - Call for papers

AMSAT News Service Bulletin 158.02
>From AMSAT HQ SILVER SPRING, MD.
June 7, 2009
To All RADIO AMATEURS
BID: $ANS-158.02

This is the first call for papers for the 2009 AMSAT Annual Meeting and
Space Symposium to be held October 9 - 11 at the Four Points Sheraton
Hotel at the Baltimore Washington Airport.

Proposals for papers, symposium presentations and poster presentations
are invited on any topic of interest to the amateur satellite community.
We request a tentative title of your presentation as soon as possible,
with final copy submitted by September 1, 2009 for inclusion in the
printed proceedings.

Abstracts and papers should be sent to Dan Schultz, N8FGV, at
n8fgv@amsat.org.

[ANS thanks Dan, N8FGV for the above information]

/EX

SB SAT @ AMSAT $ANS-158.03
New Members Welcomed to AO-51 Operations Committee

AMSAT News Service Bulletin 158.03
>From AMSAT HQ SILVER SPRING, MD.
June 7, 2009
To All RADIO AMATEURS
BID: $ANS-158.03

AMSAT VP Operations, Drew KO4MA announced, "I'm proud to welcome
Doug Papay, KD8CAO and Ed Clayo, N8BBQ to the AO-51 Operations Com-
mittee. Doug and Ed are both consummate AO-51 operators, and have
supported past AMSAT special events."

Drew continued, "The response for our call for volunteers last month
was outstanding and I want to thank all of those who applied, and
encourage them to continue to support AMSAT by volunteering in some
way."

The Operations Committee also welcomed Mark Hammond, N8MH aboard
joining the AO-51 command team now that AO-16 operations are on
hiatus until the next period of increased illumination. Drew noted,
"As AO-51 approaches 5 years in orbit this month, the satellite is
becoming more demanding of our control team and Mark will be a fine
addition to the team."

[ANS thanks Drew, KO4MA for the above information]

/EX

SB SAT @ AMSAT $ANS-158.04
AMSAT Awards

AMSAT News Service Bulletin 158.04
>From AMSAT HQ SILVER SPRING, MD.
June 7, 2009
To All RADIO AMATEURS
BID: $ANS-158.04

AMSAT Director Contests and Awards Bruce, KK5DO says
congratulations are in order for the amateur radio
operators on his AMSAT Awards list.

We would like to welcome the following to the Satellite
Communicators Club for making their first satellite contact.

Michael Klomfass, DH5MK
Michael McMahan, KC9NXP
Steve Rish, K8SAR

The following have earned the AMSAT Satellite Sexagesimal
Communications Award:

John Papay, K8YSE, #148
Michael Klomfass, DH5MK, #149

Bruce also noted that the he AMSAT Satellite Communications
Achievement Award is approaching certificate #500. Bruce
predicted that someone may possibly reach this milestone in
the next week or two. If you have not sent in for this award
yet, now is the time to do it.

To see all the awards visit http://www.amsat.org.

[ANS thanks Bruce, KK5DO for the above information]

/EX

SB SAT @ AMSAT $ANS-158.05
Hotel Booking Details for AMSAT-UK Space Colloquium July 25-26

AMSAT News Service Bulletin 158.05
>From AMSAT HQ SILVER SPRING, MD.
June 7, 2009
To All RADIO AMATEURS
BID: $ANS-158.05

As you may have heard, the location of the AMSAT-UK Colloquium
(25/26 July 2009) has been switched from Manchester to Guildford.
This is to ensure the best possible event for the largest number
of visitors. The venue has been changed to the Holiday Inn Hotel
at Guildford - this is very close to the Surrey University where
the event has been held previously. It is just off the Cathedral
roundabout on the A3.

The 2009 AMSAT Colloquium will now commence at 10am on Saturday
July 25th and close at approximately 4.30 pm on the Sunday.

The new venue will enable visitors to attend at a significantly
lower cost than last year and experience greatly improved accommo-
dation. The two days will be filled with presentations covering
all the latest amateur satellite happenings and developments.

The new GB4FUN trailer will also be in attendance and available
to demonstrate satellite operations.

An informal social gathering is also planned for those who are
able to arrive on the Friday evening

Full details of the booking arrangements are below. Check our
website for any late breaking news. http://www.uk.amsat.org/ and
also full details of how to get to Guildford etc.

Members and non-members will be equally welcome.

AMSAT-UK Colloquium 2009 - Booking Information
Special rates at the hotel have also been negotiated for the
Friday and Sunday nights should delegates wish to arrive early,
or depart late.

To book your place at the Colloquium, YOU MUST BOOK WITH THE
HOTEL. (Please do not attempt to book with AMSAT-UK as in previous
years)

The easiest way to do this is to phone the special Conference Office
at the hotel on +44 (0) 1483 784444 and  quote reference R0F (That's
R zero F). You must lodge your credit card details with the hotel.
If you wish to book over the internet, then please email the hotel
on meetings-guildford@ihg.com. PLEASE NOTE THAT IN ORDER TO GUARANTEE
A ROOM AT THE HOTEL FOR THE SAT NIGHT YOU MUST BOOK BEFORE FRIDAY 3 JULY.

Bookings for the Fri/Sun nights, or ones made after this date cannot
be guaranteed.

YOU ARE ADVISED TO BOOK EARLY, AS THE HOTEL WILL ONLY HOLD A LIMITED
NUMBER OF ROOMS FOR US.

Costs
-----
The complete package, including tea/coffee, attendance at all present-
ations, a gala dinner on Saturday evening, bed and breakfast on Sat pm
through Sun morning is only UK Pounds £128. This price does NOT include
lunch, which may be taken at the hotel, or elsewhere. (Cost of a three-
course buffet style lunch at the hotel is £15, alternatively the hotel
offers bar meals/snacks)

The special rate for bed and breakfast on either Fri/Sat or Sun/Mon is
UK pounds £75.00 per night.

If you do not wish to stay at the hotel overnight (for example, if you
live locally), you can book attendance at the presentations at the rate
of £25.00 per day (includes tea/coffee, excludes lunch) and/or the Gala
Dinner on Saturday evening at £20.00. Again these booking must be made
directly with the hotel.

Jim Heck, G3WGM
Hon Sec AMSAT-UK

[ANS thanks AMSAT-UK for the above information]

/EX

SB SAT @ AMSAT $ANS-158.06
COMPASS Satellite Team Releases New Commands for Amateur Radio

AMSAT News Service Bulletin 158.06
>From AMSAT HQ SILVER SPRING, MD.
June 7, 2009
To All RADIO AMATEURS
BID: $ANS-158.06

The COMPASS satellite team is happy to announce three DTMF commands
to the Amateur Radio community to say THANK YOU for your support.

The uplink frequency for COMPASSis 145.980 MHz FM, and the new
DTMF tones for Amateur Radio operator to request information from
the satellite include:
**35## - request a test beacon CW
**36## - request a test packet 1k2 AFSK FM (UI-Frame)
**60## - request a housekeeping frame in 1k2 AFSK FM (KISS frame)

Every command will be confirmed with a short "beep" on the CW beacon
frequency of 437.275 MHz. Packet data is sent on 437.405 MHz. A news
blog can be found at http://www.raumfahrt.fh-aachen.de/news.htm.

COMPASS telemetry decoding software is available on-line from:
http://www.dk3wn.info/software.shtml.

Please send your received data to compass1cubesat@googlemail.com
Also, if you have any questions please don’t hesitate to ask us at
this e-mail address.

Henk, PA3GUO has posted a video describing his reception of Compass-1
AFSK telemetry at http://www.vimeo.com/4911267.  To play the movie
full-screen, click on the right bottom button in the player. Also
there is a HD button, ensure it is showing "HD is on".

[ANS thanks Mike, DK3WN for the above information]

/EX

SB SAT @ AMSAT $ANS-158.07
Satellite Shorts From All Over

AMSAT News Service Bulletin 158.07
>From AMSAT HQ SILVER SPRING, MD.
June 7, 2009
To All RADIO AMATEURS
BID: $ANS-158.07

+ Piraja, PS8RF reported copying Jean-Jacques, ON7EQ via AO-7 over a
  distance of 4757 miles, or 7616 Km. He has a video of the DX event
  posted at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggNmQqxARWY.

+ Once again we are approaching the 4th full weekend in June and that
  means Field Day. The AMSAT 2009 Field Day rules have been posted at:
  http://www.amsat.org/amsat-new/awards/amsatfd.php

+ Amateur Radio operators are reporting receiving the AMSAT-India
  VO-52 Award in the mail. AMSAT-India Secretary Nitin, VU3TYG says
  the award continues to be available with details on-line at:
  http://www.amsatindia.org

+ Robert, NH7WN in Honolulu reported contact with Patrick, WD9EWK and
  copied Michael WB7QXU via AO-51. Patrick reported, "It appears we
  covered a path of just over 2900 miles (almost 4700km) with that brief
  contact. Clint, K6LCS reported that NH7WN sounded great in Riverside,
  California.

+ Tim, N3TL has been experimenting with 500 milliwatt power on his AO-7
  uplink. He reports contact with K8YSE. Tim also thanks Rick, WA4NVM,
  Pete, WB2OQQ, and others who were listening for him on these tests.

+ Raul, CA3SOC has posted several videos of his satellite operation with
  his FT-847 and Ham Radio Deluxe software at:
  http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ce3soc&view=videos

+ A graphic satellite tracker can be viewed at: http://www.opensats.net

[ANS thanks everyone for the above information]

/EX

In addition to regular membership, AMSAT offers membership in the
President's Club. Members of the President's Club, as sustaining donors
to AMSAT Project Funds, will be eligible to receive additional benefits.
Application forms are available from the AMSAT Office. With that please
keep in mind that if you go duck hunting in a swamp try not to get stuck
in the quackmire!

73,
This week's ANS Editor,
JoAnne Maenpaa, K9JKM