[jamsat-news:2578] ANS-307 AMSAT Weekly Bulletins

AMSAT NEWS SERVICE
ANS-307

ANS is a free, weekly, news and information service of AMSAT North
America, The Radio Amateur Satellite Corporation. ANS reports on the
activities of a worldwide group of Amateur Radio operators who share an
active interest in designing, building, launching and communicating
through analog and digital Amateur Radio satellites.

Please send any amateur satellite news or reports to:

ans-editor@amsat.org

In this edition:
* AMSAT Symposium notes
* Note from Owen Garriot
* ARISS Status - 27 October 2008
* ARISS contact video posted
* AO-51 Mode requests due

SB SAT @ AMSAT $ANS-307.01
AMSAT Symposium notes

AMSAT News Service Bulletin 307.01
 From AMSAT HQ SILVER SPRING, MD.
October 26, 2008
To All RADIO AMATEURS
BID: $ANS-307.01

Now that Atlanta is behind us, we learned that AMSAT is in
the same boat financially as the rest of the country.  Our
goals are still the same, however, the dates for future
projects were taken out of the Vision Statement to reflect
the reality of the launch environment.
The new BOD  met and elected a new slate of officers.
Their plates are quite full and they have a huge task in front
of them . The Symposium had many interesting presentations
including new ways to become satellite active.  HEO and MEO were
discussed.
The Banquet was well attended and a great presentation on the Hubble
Space Telescope by one of the actual "keepers," Dan Shultz, gave inside
information on real time happenings.
The next Symposium site has not been selected, however,
2009 is our 40th anniversary so hopefully many of you
will attend! Thanks to the Atlanta gang for providing a
wonderful adventure.

[ANS thanks Dee, NB2F for the above information]

/EX

SB SAT @ AMSAT $ANS-307.02
Note from Owen Garriot

AMSAT News Service Bulletin 307.02
 From AMSAT HQ SILVER SPRING, MD.
October 26, 2008
To All RADIO AMATEURS
BID: $ANS-307.02

All,
I received the following e-mail today from Owen Garriott, W5LFL and
wanted to share this with the Amateur Community. Please post this and
pass it to others in the amateur radio community, as appropriate.
73, Frank H. Bauer, KA3HDO
AMSAT-NA V.P. for Human Spaceflight Programs
ARISS International Chairman
Richard, W5KWQ, landed in Kazakhstan on Friday, 24 October 2008 at about
0936 local time and was met there by his father Owen, W5LFL. They became
the first American "second generation" father/son combination to have
both flown in space and the first cosmonaut/astronaut-trained pair in
the world. They returned to Star City near Moscow that afternoon for
medical evaluation and this is the first interview provided by Richard
the very next day. It is transcribed and delivered by Owen to the ham
community.
"On my recent flight I had the great opportunity to speak directly with
and trade call signs with hundreds of hams around the globe. For me it
was a unexpected joy to find so many enthusiastic hams, who were so well
informed and interested in my activities in orbit. When I began my
transmissions with preplanned SSTV images including "pirate messages",
test patterns and family images, I did not know how they would be
received. But it seemed that fellow hams really enjoyed seeing this
beginning to my time on the International Space Station (ISS).
Throughout the bulk of my 10 days on the ISS I tried to be speaking by
voice or transmitting SSTV images whenever possible.
After my first 100 or so QSOs, I understood how well "networked" the
global ham community really is. I received specific reports back through
Mission Control-Moscow about technical aspects of my work and how the
community was enjoying the transmissions. This redoubled my enthusiasm
to do quality work for the amateur radio legions around the world as I
realized how much it meant to those with whom I had the chance to talk.
By late in my flight I had contacted many hundreds of hams by voice and
I have good records of these contacts. Finally I sent some "Goodbye"
images on my last day in space. I also contacted many hams that had
listened to or contacted my father from space 25 years ago. Some hams I
contacted 2 to 4 times on my flight.
On those last days I was very moved when sent many "soft landing"
messages from individuals and classrooms full of children as I passed
by. The ham community has added greatly to my personal feelings of
success on my flight. I can only hope that you enjoyed it as much as I did.
Thanks so much and 73, Richard, W5KWQ"

[ANS thanks Frank, KA3HDO, for the above information]

/EX

SB SAT @ AMSAT $ANS-307.03
ARISS Status - 27 October 2008

AMSAT News Service Bulletin 307.03
 From AMSAT HQ SILVER SPRING, MD.
November 02, 2008

To All RADIO AMATEURS
BID: $ANS-307.03

Amateur Radio on the International Space Station (ARISS) Status Report
October 27, 2008

1.	Upcoming School Contacts

An Amateur Radio on the International Space Station (ARISS) contact has
been scheduled with Scuola Media Statale  Donato Forlani in Conversano,
Italy on Tuesday, October 28 at 09:37 UTC.  Students have been
introduced to amateur radio and have covered the importance of space
missions. Media coverage is expected to include newspapers, radio and
television and will be broadcast live by streaming video on:
http://www.telenorba.it/home/streaming_d.php

An Amateur Radio on the International Space Station (ARISS) contact has
been scheduled with Santa Teresa del Bambin Gesin Rome, Italy on
Thursday, October 30 at 08:51 UTC.  Santa Teresa del Bambin Gesis a
Catholic primary school established to meet the needs for Catholic
education of the local population. It has been preparing the children
for the ARISS contact with educational projects on related scientific
topics.

An Amateur Radio on the International Space Station (ARISS) contact has
been scheduled with IES Trassierra in Cóòdoba, Spain on Monday, November
3 at 08:58 UTC. Students have been learning about space and related ISS
topics.

An Amateur Radio on the International Space Station (ARISS) contact has
been scheduled with St. Thomas Primary School in Brisbane, Queensland,
Australia on Tuesday, November 4 at 10:10 UTC. The school has its own
radio club and has been using packet radio prior to the contact. Topics
of space, science and technology have been taught and students, ages
4-12, have participated in related activities. These activities have
included building models of space stations, using a telescope to explore
the night sky, building crystal radios, producing a video and creating
an ARISS Web site for the school.

2.	Training Session Contact Scheduled

A simulated Amateur Radio on the International Space Station (ARISS)
contact has been scheduled for Monday, October 27 at approximately 17:00
UTC between ESA astronaut, Frank De Winne, ON1DWN, and youth attending
the Technopolis in Mechelen, Belgium.  This training session is a
terrestrial-based amateur radio contact using ARISS-equivalent equipment.

3.	Oregon Students Question Garriott on Space

On Monday, October 20, Pinehurst School students in Ashland, Oregon
participated in an Amateur Radio on the International Space Station
(ARISS) contact via the telebridge stations WH6PN in Hawaii, and W6SRJ
in California. Seventeen students had 24 questions answered by Richard
Garriott, W5KWQ, as approximately 30 students, teachers and parents
gathered for the contact.  Audio was available via IRLP (Internet Radio
Linking Project) Reflector 9010. The EchoLink AMSAT (101 377) server
received six connections.  The educational event received newspaper and
television coverage.  The Daily Tidings posted an article:
http://www.dailytidings.com/2008/1020/stories/1020_astronaut.php

The Channel 12 News coverage may be viewed here: http://kdrv.com/page/56321

The Pinehurst students also built a turnstile antenna for satellite
contacts which they used to download some of GarriottÃÔ SSTV images!

4.	National Planetarium, Malaysia - Contact Successful

The National Planetarium in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia experienced a
successful Amateur Radio on the International Space Station (ARISS)
contact with spaceflight participant Richard Garriott, W5KWQ, on
Tuesday, October 21. The contact was requested for ŵhe National Space
Challenge, Prime MinisterÃÔ Trophy 2008,which was held October 21-25,
2008. Students had twenty questions prepared. Richard answered the
twenty and a few extra.

5.	Armada Area School Students Speak with Space Traveler

Youth attending Armada Area Schools in Armada, Michigan took part in an
Amateur Radio on the International Space Station (ARISS) contact on
Friday, October 24. Approximately six hundred students, parents,
teachers and members from the community gathered for the event as twelve
children asked 20 questions of Mike Fincke, KE5AIT.  Special guests in
attendance were Armada Area Schools Superintendent Dr. Arnold Kummerow,
Armada Area Schools Assistant Superintendent of Finance and Operations
Michael Musary, district principals and
school board members.  A local newspaper and the local television
channel 6 reported the news. There were 24 known connections on the 2
EchoLink servers and there were also uncounted listeners on 5 link nodes
and 4 repeaters.

6.	Update on Austin High School ARISS Contact

The Liberal Arts and Science Academy (LASA) High School in Austin, Texas
had a direct Amateur Radio on the International Space Station (ARISS)
contact on Sunday, October 19 with Richard Garriott, W5KWQ.  My Fox
Austin posted a video of the contact on its Web site:
http://www.myfoxaustin.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail?
contentId=7678113&version=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=1.1.1

News 8 Austin also covered the news:
http://www.news8austin.com/content/top_stories/default.asp?ArID=222425

7.	Article  on CLC Contact

Four Challenger Learning Centers (CLC) experienced a joint Amateur Radio
on the International Space Station (ARISS) contact on October 16. The
Howard B. Owens Science CenterÃÔ Challenger Center in Lanham, Maryland
was one of those which participated. The local paper reported on the event:
http://www.gazette.net/stories/10232008/largnew170337_32474.shtml

8.	Garriott SSTV, Voice Contacts

Richard Garriott, W5KWQ, transmitted Slow Scan Television (SSTV) images
during his flight.  Amateur radio operators from around the world
receiving these pictures have uploaded them to an Amateur Radio on the
International Space Station (ARISS) SSTV Web site. Over 2200 images have
been received from SpaceCam, MMSSTV and the VC-H1!  See:
http://ariss-sstv.ssl.berkeley.edu/SSTV/

Garriott also made hundreds of general voice contacts with the amateur
radio community during his flight. A recording of Richard talking to his
father, Owen, W5LFL, has been posted to the richardinspace Web site:
http://www.richardinspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Multimedia_
Gallery.welcome&typeid=060A2E79-19B9-BA51-EE1A0CCF3
7084B95&albumid=060AA196-19B9-BA51-EEC1C439A223F0C3&media=1

Pictures taken of the Budbrooke School contact have also been uploaded
to the richardinspace Web site.  See October 20 entry:
http://www.richardinspace.com/

More information has been posted to the ARISS SSTV blog:
http://www.ariss-sstv.blogspot.com/

9.	ARISS International Team Meeting Held

An Amateur Radio on the International Space Station (ARISS) Team
teleconference was held on Tuesday, October 21. Discussions included
Richard GarriottÃÔ mission and the newly installed ISS Ham radio system.
  Minutes have been posted. See:
http://www.rac.ca/ariss/arisstel2008-10-21.htm

10.	Outcomes from GarriottÃÔ ARISS Participation

The Amateur Radio on the International Space Station (ARISS) team has
received feedback from Richard GarriottÃÔ amateur radio activities while
onboard the ISS. A sample of these follow:

[ANS thanks Carol, KB3LKI, for the above information]

/EX

SB SAT @ AMSAT $ANS-307.04
ARISS contact video posted

AMSAT News Service Bulletin 307.04
 From AMSAT HQ SILVER SPRING, MD.
November 02, 2008

To All RADIO AMATEURS
BID: $ANS-307.04

UK ARISS School Contact Video Posted On-Line

This week Howard, G6LVB thanked the British Amateur TV club for their
coverage of the ARISS School Contact, "I'm sure you'll agree that BATC,
the British Amateur TV club have done a great job with a video of our
recent ARISS school contact over here in the UK."

The original telecast is at:
http://www.batc.tv/channel.php?ch=1, then select "Richard Garriott HD"
or "Richard Garriott SD".

Additional converted video formats can be found at:
http://www.g6lvb.com/images/RichardGarriotHD.mp4 (59.4Mb) for iPhone,
Quicktime and VLC.

http://www.g6lvb.com/images/RichardGarriotHD.wmv (56.6Mb) for Windows
Media Player and VLC.

[ANS thanks Howard, G6LVB for the above information]

/EX

SB SAT @ AMSAT $ANS-307.05
AO-51 Mode requests due

AMSAT News Service Bulletin 307.05
 From AMSAT HQ SILVER SPRING, MD.
November 02, 2008

To All RADIO AMATEURS
BID: $ANS-307.05

Requests for AO-51 Operating Modes Due Soon

AMSAT-NA VP Operations Drew, KO4MA said, "If you have any requests
for a particular mode on AO-51 in November, please e-mail them to
ao51-modes@amsat.org as soon as you can."

Drew reminded the AO-51 community, "Please be aware that many emails
that are sent to that address will be held for moderator review (me!)
and as long as it's related to AO-51 it will be approved and posted
to the list."

Until the graphics tools on the amsat web page are updated the best
source of AO-51 operating mode information continues to be at:
http://www.amsat.org/amsat-new/echo/CTNews.php

[ANS thanks Drew, KO4MA for the above information]

/EX

In addition to regular membership, AMSAT offers membership in the
President's Club. Members of the President's Club, as sustaining donors
to AMSAT Project Funds, will be eligible to receive additional benefits.
Application forms are available from the AMSAT Office.

73,

This week's ANS Editor,
Dee Interdonato, NB2F
nb2f at amsat dot org