[jamsat-news:1502] ANS Special Bulletin (ANS-146.02)

SB SAT @ AMSAT $ANS-146.02
THE PRESIDENT'S LETTER

AMSAT NEWS SERVICE BULLETIN 146.02 FROM AMSAT HQ
SILVER SPRING, MD, MAY 26, 2001
TO ALL RADIO AMATEURS
BID: $ANS-146.02

The following is the May President's Letter from AMSAT-NA President,
Robin Haighton, VE3FRH:

Another Dayton has come and gone, and it was great to meet so many
of you at the AMSAT booth! However, even with the time I spent there,
it was still not enough time to meet and talk to everyone.

Immediately before Dayton, Kenwood had a reception to introduce a new
handheld radio. At the reception Kenwood also presented Barry Baines,
WD4ASW, (our Vice President of Field Operations), with the Kenwood
Top Gun Award. The award commends Barry for his hard work in
attending many hamfests throughout the year and for doing so much to
promote Amateur Radio. Details of the presentation will be included in a
future issue of the AMSAT-NA Journal. Congratulations Barry!

On Friday of Dayton it rained and rained, and we all felt very sorry for
the outside vendors. Inside, the crowds were busy with new AMSAT
memberships (and renewing existing ones) as well as making donations
to AMSAT for books and various other goods. The Friday evening annual
AMSAT Banquet was very well attended and I had the pleasure of
introducing the new AMSAT President's Club, which recognizes
members who donate on a regular basis to AMSAT projects.

Gerry Schmitt, KK5YY, gave those at the dinner a very interesting talk
on his Alaska adventures, complete with beautiful pictures. On Saturday,
the weather cooperated with Dayton and a great day was had both
inside and out. Saturday evening the Dayton Hamvention Banquet was
held and Frank Bauer, KA3HDO, (our Vice President of Human
Spaceflight Programs), was awarded a Dayton Special Achievement
award. Frank received this award for his outstanding work with both the
SAREX and ISS programs. Congratulations Frank!

I would like to thank all of the people who participated in making the
Dayton arrangements, assisting at the booth, putting the booth up (and
taking it down), organizing the AMSAT dinner, and a thousand-and-one
other items - thank you all for volunteering!

73,

Robin Haighton, VE3FRH
President AMSAT-NA

[ANS thanks AMSAT-NA President Robin Haighton, VE3FRH, for this
information]

----
Via the ans mailing list at AMSAT.ORG courtesy of AMSAT-NA.