Subject: A0-10 from Willis VK9WI
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 11:51:38 +1000
From: "David Gemmell - VK4ZEK" <davidgem@fan.net.au>
To: "W6VPH - Bud" <Lawrence.W.Ansley@jpl.nasa.gov>,"W6TWN- Ed"
<w6twn@lemoorenet.com>,"W0DQY - Smitty" <W0DQY@WORLDNET.ATT.NET>,"VK4AFL
- Trevor" <benton@acenet.net.au>,"K7FE - Jim" <jhenders@swlink.net>

Hi All,

We've had a number of requests for AO-10 acivity from Willis Is - VK9WI
so I've directed this to all who have enquired...

As I see it at this stage, AO-10 activity really depends on 4 things -

1: If the footprint in the time window is suitable.
2: Time available from the crew for setup and operation.
4: Gear (Antennas / Transceiver / Power Amps)
4: Room for the gear on the boat.

I've had a chat with VK4AFL Trevor who was referred to us by
W6VPH - Bud. (Thanks Bud)

Trevor VK4AFL is checking orbit times / footprints for potential sked
times, so...

The crew time availability will have to come towards the end of the trip
when the
HF (and hopefully 6m ?) activity decreases somewhat. So - gear next...

Trevor VK4AFL has very kindly offered the use of some of his 144/ 432
antennas,
a 130 w 70 cm output amp, assistance with orbit software etc, and
assistance with pre-trip live tests, but does NOT have a rig available
for loan, so...

So we would need an FT847 (or similar) . . Any ideas ?

I think we can fit the gear on board at this stage, but if push
really comes to shove, it will be the first to be left behind.

So there we are -

I won't mention this on the website until things firm up.

We've got a fair bit on our plate with 160 thru to 6 mtr,
so if you guys can arrange something...
we'll take it on board...
if it fits...
But it's up to you.

I think it's always best to tell it as it is, so please understand
that AO-10 must be at the bottom of our priority list.
Sorry, but there'll only be 4 of us, and we can't do everything....

73

David - VK4ZEK

"There is nothing ; absolutely nothing;
half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats."

Willis DXpedition at    http://www.qsl.net/vk9wi/
Boat Home Page at   http://www.ozemail.com.au/~davidgem